England U-18 Discussions Thread (2006 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Sep 21, 2013.

1. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think they're gonna just keep calling him up and getting him to make a choice to turn it down each time.

2. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Why?

3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC

First game back though, right? They might just be giving him time to build up his fitness.

4. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Because he's a good footballer.

5. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    So are/were Ben Woodburn, Oliver Burke, Ethan Ampadu, Jack Grealish... Why is this approach being taken with Nmecha new when they haven't done it with any other dual national previously?

6. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He’s still got it!

7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    None of them played for England as U16s

8. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016

.....except Ampadu did. And even if he didn't that would be a really poor reason, so again why Nmecha?

9. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Well the reasoning would be that maybe he's not explicitly said he's going with Germany. Maybe the door is open in a way that it realistically wasn't with the others?

People moan about England 'losing' these guys + push for us to proactively cap tie them, then also moan when we're leaving the door open for them.

10. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Probably right, he may say he still wants to be considered.

11. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    As other said arguably harsh on Griffiths. While I am still undecided on how much I rate him scoring 23 goals in 18 u18s games or 27 goals in 20 games for the season, suggests he has least earned a call-up on based on output. I accept he has only done it at u18 level.

Otherwise I feel Hinds deserves a chance but understand with Lamptey featuring regularly in an incredibly successful Chelsea side it would be hard to justify selecting Hinds ahead of him.

Also how is Denny in ahead of Skipp

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  12. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Southend have said Yearwood withdrew through injury.

13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Felix Nmecha IS with the U18s in China right now.

14. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Steven Sessegnon isn't out there with them. Not sure if there's any other changes.

First game on Wednesday.

15. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I imagine Fulham are holding him back, he's not miles from first team and also being part of travelling squad for Wembley will be an experience

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Starting team seems to have been Bursik, Lamptey, Vokins, McEachran, Eyoma, Panzo, Poveda, Gallagher (c), Loader, Nmecha, Kirby.

Marcho Gamgee and ChristianSur repped this.
  18. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    This is a U19 tournament btw, this lot are playing up an age group against 99s without most of the standout-standouts: Brewster, Foden, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Gomes...

19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    A few younger players in the others teams too though. Uruguay started at least one 2001 today. May have started more younger players too, Schiappacasse is the big name, a 1999 who came off the bench.

20. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010

Not surprised by the result even against China. Team looks very unbalanced on paper, difficult to control the midfield with Gallagher + Denny in the same midfield.

21. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    The team looks fine. Not ever side without a Wilshere or McEachran is unbalanced or desperately lacking in midfield.

Seems like they just lost because of a comical error, some wayward finishing + a trash pitch.

22. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Wrong, a team without anybody to pass the ball in midfield is not balanced. Never bought the poor pitch argument, both teams play on the same pitch.

23. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    A poor pitch is a leveler and as such is an advantage for the less talented team, IMO.

24. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    A bad pitch always favours the weaker team though. I've watched the highlights, England had loads of chances, China had one from a comical England error and one from a set piece.

Acknowledging a bad pitch is especially important when assessing a performance at a developmental level.

25. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    #950 sharpovic, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    it is, but a technical player will have a good first touch regardless of the state of the pitch. I maintain that this 11 looks disjointed, with 2 pure DM in midfield and only one attacking midfielder. I could not care less about the result, even if it's China, but the philosophy of some of the england youth coaches still baffles me. U19, u17 and u20 this summer only played with CM who could play (Dozell, Edu, TOB, McEachran, Onomah etc.) and it worked out pretty well to say the least.