England U-18 Discussions Thread (2006 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Can anyone seriously see Gomes getting a fair chance at Utd under Mourinho? If he's lucky, he will get the one game and if it doesn't go well, Mourinho will then tell us as to why he doesn't play these players. How long has he left on his contract? He should follow Sancho and try his luck abroad imo.

TopBanana10 and David Hurford repped this.
  2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    You could equally ask how long Mourinho has left. Past form would suggest that he'll be gone within a year.

3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He has really struggled with the step up to u23. It is more physical than psychological and the fact that United u23 were wretched this season so he often looked as bad as the rest of the team. He looked great in his brief cameos for the senior side. He may well be a slow burner.

As for his contract, he signed his first pro deal with United recently so he won't be moving anytime soon. He is strongly connected to United so he would be a reluctant leaver I think.

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It's not Mourinho's fault Gomes isn't performing well enough to be considered for the first team. If he was performing like Chong he'd probably be in already.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Sorry, should have clarified, I wasn't specifically meaning right now but in the future if Mourinho stays long term, the same could be said of Greenwood. Would anyone really trust Mourinho with these talented kids?

6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Mourinho won't be there for long enough to have a chance to ruin either. Not too worried about Greenwood, but there's a lot of red flags surrounding Gomes.

Barely made an impression in U23 football and i'm genuinely not sure if he run. Also has way too many occasions where he vanishes off the face of the earth and misses months of games with 'injuries'. He reminds me a lot of Crowley really. Not sure if the Premier League is for him.

7. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He was also poor in the u18s when they were having a nightmare season. The next season when the team was a lot better he was the best player in the side.

He does seem to get a few niggly injuries. We forget though that he doesn't turn 18 until August. Scholes didn't make his senior debut until he was nearly 20.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench for the last game of the season. There is a strong desire at United for him to make it. He is perceived as one of the most talented ever to come through the youth system and has been at the club since he was 6.

8. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    So why isn't Chong in already?

9. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Squad for a tournament in China next month due to be announced tomorrow. Amongst the Chelsea players involved will be Tariq Lamptey for the first time.

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That doesn't surprise me.

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He's not English (or even British).

He might get a go before the season ends. It would be a real pisser for Chong if Gomes got in ahead of him.

12. kbarrett2316

kbarrett2316 Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    - Austin Samuels was top scorer for Wolves U18s this season - 12 in 18 games (in all competitions).
    - Jamie Soule hasn't done too bad for West Brom's U18s - 9 goals in 22 games.
    - Theo Hudson has done alright for Leeds, though in honesty when I've seen him play he didn't look up to scratch. Came off 7 mins into their playoff semi final the other week due to injury.
    - Rob Strachan I haven't heard much about but assume he's done alright.

Few names I wouldn't mind being involved:

Reece Hannam, LB, West Ham
    Ryan Corrigan, LB, Man City
    Jayden Richardson, RB, Nottingham Forest
    Tariq Hinds, RB, Tottenham
    Ben Johnson, RB/RW, West Ham
    Tariq Lamptey, RB/RW, Chelsea
    Aaron Akyeampong-Ekumah, CB, Norwich City
    Jack Wakely, CB, Chelsea
    Matt Smith, CM, Arsenal
    Bilal Kamal, CM/LB, Norwich City
    Dan Bartlett, CM/AM, Southampton (should he feature more next season)
    Jeremy Ngakia, RW/RB, West Ham (may have elected to represent DR Congo)
    Rodel Richards, ST, Tottenham

Have to say, whilst the above group of players is a decent set I couldn't really say many would get into a current 2000s squad (perhaps Hannam and Hinds/Richardson, imho, and I couldn't say they'd be guaranteed to start, either) but assuming the bulk of 2000s play up next season and those guys continue to play well for their clubs, then they could be worthy of a shout. As MH10 mentioned there are plenty of old names worth revisiting - Kamal for example was involved in an U15 training camp and Hannam has been on standby before.

MH10, Garibaldi11, JRSG and 1 other person repped this.
  13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    This is a pleasant surprise. Always good to get as many players involved as possible. Speaking of Angel Gomes, it'd be nice to see him involved rather than missing out again. Gibbs-White + Hudson-Odoi will be with the U19s on their training camp (at least) so their should be spots open from previous squads.

I wonder if Reo Griffiths would be back in contention, I know Spurs have just headed out to some tournament in Germany which might take a few players out of contention.

Bobby Kamwa at Leeds is a player who might not quite be at this level, but he's a 2000 who I think we may be seeing some more of in the future. Cameroon born, but he speaks with a broad Leeds accent so I presume he's eligible.

Felix Nmecha is with Germany at some tournament at the minute. Wales too with a group of 2000s + 2001s.

kbarrett2316 repped this.
  14. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    McEachran, Gallagher and Panzo are in too so you'd think it's gonna be a fairly familiar squad.

It's the Panda Cup in China, Uruguaya and Hungary are in it too, 23-28 May.

15. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Goalkeepers: Curtis Anderson (Manchester City), Josef Bursik (Stoke City), William Crellin (Fleetwood Town)

Defenders: Timothy Eyoma (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathan Ferguson (West Bromwich Albion), Tariq Lamptey (Chelsea), Jonathan Panzo (Chelsea), Steven Sessegnon (Fulham), Jake Vokins (Southampton), Adam Wilson (Newcastle United)

Midfielders: Alex Denny (Everton), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Nya Kirby (Crystal Palace), George McEachran (Chelsea), Stephen Walker (Middlesbrough), Callum Wright (Leicester City)

Forwards: Danny Loader (Reading), Felix Nmecha (Manchester City), Ian Poveda-Ocampo (Manchester City)

kbarrett2316 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Are you sure that's the squad? I know Southend's Dru Yearwood is in too.

17. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  18. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    He must just be making up numbers in training or something then.

20. kbarrett2316

kbarrett2316 Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nathan Ferguson is another name I'm pleased to see in. With their relegation he might be in around the first team occasionally next season.

21. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Possibly sending Kane Wilson & Rakeem Harper out on loan too early didn't help them ?

Been monitoring the Soule situation. I haven't seen a lot of him but the club certainly seem to have younger Rayhaan Tulloch and Morgan Rogers ahead of him in their future plans for forwards.

22. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    So injury keeping the following out the squad from the regulars we think ?

Latibeaudiere
    Gibson
    Oakley-Boothe (Injured?)
    Gomes (been missing injured for a little while)
    Smith-Rowe
    Brewster (definitely know)

23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    No Skipp either. He's with Spurs atm and they've got another tournament at the end of the month. Will be interesting to see if he's involved in both.

Oakley-Boothe has missed way too much football in the last year for my liking.

There really is an embarrassment of riches at the moment. I'd back a team of the 2000s not involved in any games this summer to give most countries a beating.

24. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Gomes played against Chelsea last weekend, didn't last the 90, but seemed fit enough to be available.

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Felix Nmecha? Hasn’t he just snubbed us?