England U-17 Discussions Thread #3 (2007 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by england66, Jul 8, 2011.

1. markdavies17

markdavies17 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don’t be surprised if it’s Chelsea.

2. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We've been after him for a long time, I checked in yesterday and heard nothing to suggest it's us, but that could change.

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Confirmed, Cooper has gone to Swansea

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Good luck to him. Was a bit hit and miss in our set up. I just can’t see him lasting a season in the Championship. Would be nice to be wrong though as you always want coaches with an emphasis on youth to do well.

David Hurford repped this.
  5. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I asked already, but did not get any answers: should we be sad about this? I mean Cooper's track record was huge, but he still got some slack here because of his use of subs/too much loyalty to some players/left out others. Was he lucky because of the most talented year group in our lifetime, or he has been truly a great coach?

EDIT: Didn't see Barry's post.

6. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He's a good coach, who was blessed with a stunning generation, and he's been one of the better England youth age coaches in recent memory. It's also a good time for a change.

W.A.S.P., David Hurford and hussar repped this.
  7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    He generally did well.

I think we should be proactive with turnover though, get as many coaches in and out of the system as possible. He had two full World Cup cycles, so i'd have liked to see him move up to U21 or out for a new person to try, anyway.

I think that's the way for England to go. 4 years max for anyone in any role, probably should be less for most.

hussar repped this.
  8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I’ll give him credit for the WC regardless of the talent. We still got things right and I think he had a good tournament as a coach.

I don’t think we should be sad. He had some really underwhelming displays and you don’t want coaches staying in roles too long. The only exception to that would be if the coach was very good in all aspects and wanted to maintain the role.

David Hurford and hussar repped this.
  9. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks.
    I also have my doubts how successful he will be at senior level (I guess Potter was a better coach, but who knows), though I hope some of his ex-players will end up at Swansea, whose careers a bit stranded - Oakley-Boothe or McEachran for example.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  10. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Yunus Musah possibly heading to Bayern

Edit - scrap that it's Musiala

11. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    A bit of a story behind it.

1146022902590033921 is not a valid tweet id

12. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Seems like all over twitter Fulham and Liverpool fans are convinced Harvey Elliott is joining Liverpool. To be confirmed very soon.

13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Am I missing something with his bio?

It's been like that for as long as I can remember i'm sure.

14. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Don't get it either but it seems even ignoring that there is strong word out on it.

Must admit, thought Spain was a formality.

15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  16. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have no idea what part of that bio relates to Liverpool.

17. dakid

dakid Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    People must believe the Si Señor refers to the Firmino song which is a bit of a stretch.

18. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Elliott is apparently a Liverpool fan FWIW and has been to a few games at Anfield. Aside from that the Si Senor thing has been on there for yonks.

19. scout94

scout94 New Member

England
    Oct 8, 2017
    i think he recently followed liverpool fc and some of the confirm scholars for liverpool u18s on his instagrams

20. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Telegraph saying Liverpool. Think the above post confirmed it for me when I checked.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Not the worst choice but I can't really see how he benefits from leaving Fulham right now. It's not like he'll be getting much senior football at Liverpool in the short-term.

22. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    He's supposed to be a Liverpool fan, not a logical reason to go but a big reason all the same. Aside from that it's probably more money and prestige in the short term.

23. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Well, this is good news for Fulham. Certainly better than him going to Barcelona or Real Madrid.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    So he goes from possibly or most likely being part of Fulham’s first team Squad next season to playing U18/U23 football. Yep, that makes perfect sense but hey ho, he gets to sign for the Club he supports I suppose.

25. Sam1010

Sam1010 Member

Charlton
    England
    Apr 10, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At 16/17 I think serious first team minutes for a player of Elliot's build might not be the best thing, the more grave issue is that he has Curtis Jones ahead of him, there could be a bottleneck effect at the age of 18/19 when he fills out and needs games that he would not have at Fulham. Bellingham and Dembele should be ahead Barry,Elliot etc because they are the crown jewels rather than one of many.