England U-17 Discussions Thread #3 (2007 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by england66, Jul 8, 2011.

1. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I haven't seen that much of this group really. I watched their game against Belgium recently and a number looked very good but Gelhardt stood out to me.

This group is supposed to be extremely highly rated so it will be exciting to see how they get on.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  2. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    According to their twitter account all three U17 games will have radio commentary from Live Sports FM.

Drameh seems to have been born December 2001 so just misses out.

Yunus Musah looks a very strong prospect in central midfield. Also having watched all four games of this team from March at the Montaigu tournament on youtube, Morgan Rogers is very clinical. The three central defenders won't get the same hype but all seem solid. I also like the left back Bondswell at Leipzig although he's not in the squad, nor are the other overseas based Madueke (PSV) or Sarmiento (Benfica).

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  3. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah it seems the case. Pity because it would have been a good competition with Livramento who I like. In saying that I think Laird will switch to RB for 2001s possibly and he could be a nice option there too. VDC whilst he has his strengths he also lacks in some areas.

I think this group just needed some maturing and finding partnerships at CB and CM which is happening now. In that USA tournament this squad on face value struggled (but having seen them before and what Craig Armstrong told me I still backed this group) but the short time Musah and Hodge were in MF together in the first game immediately caught my eye as the best 2 for this group as a combination. Needs to see more of Azeez and Weir.

The attacking talent on show with Rogers, Mighten, Elliott, Knight, Carvalho, Gelhardt and Greenwood is pretty awesome if you ask me. It always has been from when I saw them in u15s.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  4. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Where
    Would you put them on a par with the 2000 group?

5. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #6530 Garibaldi11, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    2000 group have their own level at this stage.

Whilst there is loads of individual talent above they got to put it together still. I think Foden/Sancho/CHO/ESR will be tough acts to follow but the talent is there to achieve some great things. I even think the 2001s have some great attacking talent but this group is ahead of them.

Rogers has power, technique, skill, clinical shooting with both feet
    Mighten has speed, unpredictability, great 1v1 and great shooting technique with both feet
    Knight and Carvalho are small but pick up pockets of space and bring others in around them with their skill and vision. Carvalho also quite a willing runner off the ball I've notcied. Whether dropping deep or getting beyond a defence.
    Elliott played against Forest in pre-season and was left amazed at his ability. Direct, skillful and didn't play like a schoolboy. Scored a hattrick in no time.

There is a nice balance to the above in style, size, left-foot& right-foot isn't there ?

I haven't seen a lot of Gelhardt/Greenwood so maybe some those that have can mention their strengths and compare them to Brewster/Loader/Walker. Ive seen bits of Gelhardt and he looked strong and quick in short bursts and a very lethal finisher. Greenwood not as strong as Gelhardt but definitely looks neat and scores goals.

6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think this group is amazing. A slight concern about them defensively for numbers, but that seems to be mainly because they're picking really aggressive squads full of attackers. There's so much versatility among the front players and too many combinations to even really nail down what the team will be, but it seems like Carvalho, Musah, Rodgers, Livramento, Harwood-Bellis are pretty much locks for any first XI.

Musah might be one of the most well rounded English midfielders we've seen so far. Doesn't seem like there's anything missing from his game.

It's hard to compare them with the 2000s, one reason is because my view of ESR, Gibbs-White + Brewster drastically improved in the year after the U17 Euros, so I couldn't accurately compare them to how I felt prior to their U17 cycles.

I thought they were actually pretty good at the Montagui tournament. In the Florida tournament before that, results looked underwhelming but they were actually really good too. USA was only 1-0 but the game was so one sided, they should've beaten Brazil in the game they lost 2-1 and the Dutch team that they lost 3-1 to were super developed. The likes of Brobbey, Ihatteren + Gravenberch would be winning the U17 Euros just 6 months later. Also, if you look at the England squad in Florida, it's evolved quite a lot since then.

I think i'd take this side over the 2000s...but i'd take individuals from the 2000s over individuals from this side. I'm not sure they'll take any player to the Euros who we feel is underwhelming or shouldn't be there and I really hope they make the WC. It also feels like a real new breed of player, so many incredible technicians.

7. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #6532 Garibaldi11, Oct 11, 2018
    For all the 2000 talk there is still lots of uncertainty around centre-midfield and defensive options. We know the quality but who is undoubtedly first choice for example. I think we all have our beliefs.Not sure there is a group pulling away in that regard for them ? I can't quite nail down the midfield and defensive roles like we can with attackers, AMF and CFs. Is that a fair comment ?

But the Foden, Sancho, CHO, ESR four are really special and if we can get more players through like them the better.

I agree with JRSG in that the balance seems better with 2002s and there seems a good balance for all positions but they now got to put the belief in them into a practice for this u17 season. 2000s backed up the belief.

IGSpur repped this.
  8. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #6533 TopBanana10, Oct 11, 2018
    Thanks for taking the time to provide excellent analysis Garibaldi11 and JRSG!

I like what I’ve seen of Elliott in particular. Also, Greenwood scored a great goal for Arsenal recently. Lovely technique.

I have heard great things about Gelhardt (being strong and powerful but also technically sound) but have yet to see him live.

I think the reason we focus so much on the 2000s (aside from the team achievement at the World Cup) is that some of the team are making excellent individual progress into senior football especially the four you mentioned.

It’s great to know that other age groups are showing trememdous ability in their own way as well!

9. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not to take anything away from Greenwood as he's very good, but the Southampton footage of that goal from the other side of the pitch shows it was deflected on its way in.

10. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #4 Azeez
    #8 Musah
    #7 Mighten
    #10 Carvalho
    #11 Rogers
    #9 Greenwood

11. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Will keep an eye on Chester's twitter feed. Fylde were good with their updates last night. Pretty nice that more of these games are being played at public stadiums.

12. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Also on Live Sports FM which is enthusiastic coverage if anything.

13. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  14. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    the radio guys keep saying 'Armstrong', has he come on for Greenwood already or is it just mistaken identity?

15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not sure what he is on about mentioning Armstrong too.

16. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    :D:D:D Still calls him Armstrong when he scores and then only clicks after that , that it is Greenwood.

Calm and controlled finish from Greenwood. Much deserved by the sounds of things.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  17. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Supposedly another worldie from Morgan Rogers. 2-1 England.

18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Action shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kbarrett2316 repped this.
  19. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    3-1 Gelhardt off the bench with a Rogers assist

Just Wood, Weir & Okoflex out of the outfield players not used so far.

David Hurford and kbarrett2316 repped this.
  20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    completely went over my head when the squads were announced, but I guess this means Jensen Weir is with England for the whole U17 cycle? Scotland had qualifiers this week. A bit surprised by that one considering his dad. Maybe playing alongside the elite players is just too appealing, especially with him being at Wigan from week to week

David Hurford repped this.
  21. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Best I could find...

Garibaldi11, Jenks, zXen and 3 others repped this.
  22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    How good were England's goals? :thumbsup:

Seriously impressed by this performance. Pure silk on the ball.

A few questions for those who are more familiar with the team.

Is Greenwood a pure 9 or more of an Eriksen? His technique and finish was outstanding.

Shades of Bernardo Silva from Elliott and great finish by Rogers and Gelhardt, who looks like more of a traditional English centre forward.

It's hard to judge as I've only seen small samples of these players, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Greenwood is more of a striker. Quite a lot of this group are impressive in the box. Not much snatching at shots or taking unnecessary touches/holding onto the ball. Well timed and clinical. It will be interesting to see how it goes in the real games.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #6549 TopBanana10, Oct 13, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    It certainly will. I need to see more of them but I love their confidence in possession.

If anyone has a link to a recent match or even just highlights, please send it to me.

25. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nine changes from the last game. Full backs Livramento & Cirkin have kept their place.

Sounds fairly even but Russia having a physical advantage with their older team.