England U-17 Discussions Thread #3 (2007 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by england66, Jul 8, 2011.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It really IS that simple - in a nutshell. Slaven Bilic said something very similar before the opening game of the WC, when the issue was raised. No one challenged his view.

When Kane got his chance, he took it. As everyone should know when a player gets his chance he has to be ready to take it. He can't be there as a passenger, like a school kid doing work experience. If he doesn't perform well enough and the team lose, the manager gets it in the neck and won't rush to give him another go.

Many will have to show the gumption to get a decent loan somewhere and prove their worth. Lookman did just that and the new Everton manager has said he is looking forward to him returning to the first team squad.

But as Bilic suggested, it is tough to get to the top. Some have the necessary drive, commitment and strength of character. Others don't.

2. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kane didn't exactly take his chance in 2013-14 though, he scored like four goals in 800 minutes.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I've already suggested, it is tough getting to the top. You should have seen him for the last few years at Spurs. You wouldn't believe it.

Kane had the drive, focus and determination to get there. A lot don't.

Young lads should follow his example, rather than think of themselves as victims.

4. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    None of that is under dispute though, its about chances. Many don't get them, fewer still get the patience Tottenham gave Kane.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As already mentioned, Lookman went on loan, got more experience and proved his worth. He's back in contention for a first team place at Everton, with his manager looking forward to his return.

Rashford went from being invisible against Chelsea u18s, when they were humiliated 5-0 in the youth cup.and he hardly got a kick, a few weeks later his first team chance came. Chances DO come along - if a lad is thought to have a future, but they have to be ready take them. And Rashford did just that. Showing the sort of spark he keeps showing for England and people hope he will show on Monday.

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Kane got his chance by fluke injury pileup much like Rashford. He was average at best during his loan spells and did very little to suggest that he would ever be a Premier League player, much less one of the best goal scorers in the world. You can't expect Premier League teams to persist with players that aren't performing of course, but you can't expect to develop top players without investing first team opportunities in them either.

7. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Indeed. Point is, it shouldn't be that complicated to make it. Sure, players can move abroad, but there should be an easier way, like there is in every other league. It's almost impossible to make it in England unless you're a true prodigy (and even then it's not always enough) or have incredible luck.

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Kane went on loan to several clubs from about the age of 17. It was very tough going at times and the goals dried up, but he showed persistence and desire to succeed. And what a success he has been. Rashford wasn't doing enough at youth level to get a game at a top club like United but when his chance came he rose to the occasion and took it, like a duck to pancakes.

I never understand how so many seem to be sniffy about a teenager going on loan at a Championship club, if he is good enough. If not, even lower. They need to get experience of men's football, work on deficiencies and toughen up.

In this group, as well as the obvious future star Curtis Jones - who I can't see going on loan anywhere - I would expect the two Arsenal lads Amaechi and Saka to make it to the top - with or without loans spells. They won't be rotting in anyone's reserves.

I do disagree however with the many coaches who dismiss academy football altogether (it seems). Even Jones will have benefited from a season in academy football with all the tough competitive games he's had.

9. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Think we can definitely move all the 15s, 16s, 17s up now

This group has quite a number of players who have moved or linked to move.

Good for my club to secure the future of Mighten.

David Hurford and kbarrett2316 repped this.
  10. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Feels like Ecuador would be the biggest threat since both of his parents come from there. I would imagine Spain less so just simply due to the fact he was born there but left for England aged 7 so I doubt he will have that many memories or connections but obviously is all guess work, however maybe the thought of playing for Spain appeals to him, who knows. Maybe one for Dual Nationals thread soon.

Would this be a big loss, not seen that much of him?

12. kbarrett2316

kbarrett2316 Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I've seen him play in person a couple of times this season (against Barnsley, Huddersfield & Leeds) and he's been really impressive. The way he was able to go past players two/three years older than him and twice his size was very impressive. Scored a lovely freekick as well and his dad seemed like a nice guy.

13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    More guess work here.

It'd really take a lot of patriotism for him to select Ecuador because they aren't a big footballing nation, but we've seen a lot that can mean quite a bit to players. I dunno it seems like we've gotten the better of tug-a-wars lately with dual nationals. I think we'd have a better sell because of the way we've been producing players his age recently.

14. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    That article feels like loads we've seen in the past, just a newspaper realising there's a talented English kid who is eligible for someone else so it becomes 'TUG OF WAR'. Doubt there's anything in it at all. No matter how passionate his parents are, i'm sure a London boy is pretty content to stay with his mates in the England side for now at least.

15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would doubt his parents are passionate enough about Ecuador. I mean they were willing to move away from there into Europe. For all we know they want to cut ties with their former country and want to be Englishmen moving forward.

16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I mean, have you never met an immigrant?

17. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Says the guy that lives in America but supports England.

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes.

19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #6394 W.A.S.P., Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    There you go, but it was an assumption even though I didn't type it in:(. I'm guessing I lost some intelligent points for this?

20. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Some chat going around that Man Utd are trying to sign Sam Greenwood and Bali Mumba. Comes from an interview with their new owner.

David Hurford repped this.
  21. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Mentions Arsenal and Spurs to from 42:00 but it is no secret United have been trying to fill up their in-take. Madueke, Bondswell, Mighten, Gelhardt etc

22. KARLOSSIMO

KARLOSSIMO New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Apr 3, 2017
    any games coming up for this age group

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Man U have signed Harvey Neville, 16 year old son of Phil, a number 7 and similar to Beckham apparently. He used to be at City, then went with Phil to Valencia.

It'll be interesting to see how he goes on.

24. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ben Knight is off to Man City.

25. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Been inevitable for a fair while - tough one to take but what can you do

David Hurford and Garibaldi11 repped this.