England U-17 Discussions Thread #3 (2007 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by england66, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Apparently they are going to play in a tournament with Brazil, USA and the Dutch in Lakewood Ranch, FL. Nov 29 - Dec 3

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Sounds like the Nike international tournament that we sent an under-16 team to a couple of years back? That was at Lakewood Ranch.

3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Because they have a two-year under-17 cycle leading up to a biennial tournament, whereas we have a one-year under-17 cycle leading up to an annual tournament, preceded by what we call an under-16 year.

Regardless, this is one for the under-16 thread.

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Bloody septics.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the same tournament the 2000's won in 2015.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  9. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In the England clips I was impressed by the sharp assertiveness of Greenwood in a couple of instances - when he brushed players off the ball. Wasn't aware of that "physical" side of him.

12. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That was part of why he reminded me of Solanke; upright, powerful dribbling, ability to go off either foot, to play as a 9 or a 10, instinctive finisher.

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    hussar repped this.
  14. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I saw 2002 born Malachi Walcott played for Spurs u18s on the weekend but still no sign of older Luis Binks. Considering Binks has probably made himself number 1 CB in this age group for England in the absence of Ogbeta and Alese. Just thought it is surprising.

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #5915 The Guardian, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Watching Doyle in the last two big u18 matches for Man City, he would appear to be a good "kicker" of the ball, but off-puttingly slow and laboured looking when running.

Arsenal u18s beat Spurs 6-0 at the week-end. Good to read Coyle (1 goal) and Amaechi (2 goals) are apparently back to form after injuries.

16. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    More on what we've kinda known for ages, Bobby Duncan hasn't been at City for most of the season and is leaving.

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hopefully Duncan can move on soon.

18. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Liverpool's transfer ban doesn't expire until the summer...

19. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I can't remember the timings but I think Binks must have been away when Walcott was called up for a game we won by a large margin.

He was then rewarded and played against Arsenal and apparently struggled. With BLF generally playing up now, I would like to see Binks start playing for the u18s my understanding was he played well for England in the recent games.

Should also point out that Lloyd-Bennett an u16 has played in the lat 3 u18s matches. I'd seen little bits of him at u16s, but saw him play yesterday and he caused Villa's RB also sorts of trouble. He is two footed as well, crossing well with his left and scored a nice volley with his right.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  20. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Curtis Jones scored another top class goal last night (it'll be out there somewhere). The second goal was from his corner (but obviously less notable). 2-0

21. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Arsenal's flank player Xavier Amaechi seems in very good form since returning from injury, he scored another two goals to put them through, tonight in the Youth Cup - 2-1 against Sheffield Wednesday.

22. scout94

scout94 New Member

England
    Oct 8, 2017
    Already 13 goals and 8 assists for Curtis Jones this season.

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I appreciate the opposition was weak last night in the Youth Cup but Jones had some delightful assists, with finesse and weighting of passes. He rounded it off with another top class "goal of the season" goal to make it 5-1.

24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Gerrard has done individual profiles for all the players in his Liverpool U18 squad, the most interesting players from an England perspective are in this age group:

Elijah Dixon-Bonner: “Elijah has been the most improved for me out of the whole squad in terms of where he was in pre-season to where he is now. He is a different player; he is fitter, he is stronger, he is more aggressive, he is showing more quality. So in terms of seeing improvement in one individual, Elijah’s the man!”

Abdi Sharif: “Abdi is similar to Eddie [Tagseth] in terms of physically he can hit big numbers. He is a very strong runner, leggy. He has found himself out of the team and off the bench in recent weeks, so we are trying to push Abdi and make him more aggressive and improve him in possession. Abdi is certainly an important member of the squad moving forward.”

Luis Longstaff: “Like Abdi, Luis has found it hard being out of the XI. Luis loves the game, you always see him with a ball learning his skills. He has found it hard recently mentally because he is not in the XI and he is desperate to be in it. Luis is one we are working with and trying to improve certain parts of his game, but again he is pushing to get back in the squad. He has to try and dislodge a good player in this team and it’s difficult.”

Future Senior England International: “Curt is a wonderful talent with all the ability in the world. On the ball and in possession he is fantastic. We are working a lot with him on the other side of his game – the duels, the competing, the running and the 'dirty' side of the game that No.10s don’t usually like doing. But in terms of the numbers he is delivering at U18 level, he has been very strong. His performances have been strong and when we get the other side of his game as strong as his possession game we are going to have a really scary footballer!”

Paul Glatzel: “It has been frustrating for Paul and frustrating for us because he's struggled with injuries and has missed too much football over the last couple of years. He is still growing, he is still finding his body and we need to keep supporting him. He has picked up another niggle recently, which has been frustrating because he would have been in the squad for Arsenal. He is a wonderful talent, he has got lovely bits of skill and turns and he can certainly finish. Paul is one we are going to have to be patient with I think and I think he might come strong and more robust further down the line.”

The rest: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/287548-steven-gerrard-s-guide-to-his-fa-youth-cup-squad

25. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bonner has improved, but he started at a very low base.