England U-16 Discussion Thread 2 [R] (2008 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 4, 2012.

1. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    4-0 now, Musiala from Bellingham's pass, then Barry from Norris' brilliant cross.

2. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Norris the LB.?

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I don’t speak much French but I think the commentary team were just a little bit impressed with Bellingham.

Ended up a bit of a farse tbh, Brazil had another player sent off for a second yellow card. They were more interested in kicking lumps out of our players than trying to play themselves but guess that’s frustration for you when they couldn’t get near our players for most of the game.

4. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Ive been super impressed with this bunch and they should be duly proud of 3rd, which could have been more bar some luck against argentina. This tournament was no joke. Theres quality right the way through- especially patino, bellingham, musiala,barry, dembele - and depth too. Excited to see them take a shot at the u17s

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Even though it’s early days but I wonder if potentially this age group could become fairly close to the 2000’s in terms of talents? Bellingham seems to be the top talent at the moment but he’s certainly backed up by some very impressive players from what I’ve seen so far and I’m sure some will keep on improving.

David Hurford repped this.
  6. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I look at the players not in the squad but with callups this season and I can't help but be impressed by the depth still to come. Aaron Ramsey from Villa, Lewis Richardson at Burnley already getting U23 football, the two Charlton boys Henry and Williams who are very tidy midfield options, Haigh, Simons and Vale from Chelsea and Young-Coombes from Rangers who is extremely talented, Gordon at Palace and Hodnett at Wolves starting to play regular U18 football, Lewis Dobbin was injured for this, most of the Man City boys could come back in - Burns, McNeill, Mbete-Tabu, Robertson - and the two Sunderland boys Gooch and Pye have something about them too.

Plus Harvey Elliott could drop back down at any point if they're so inclined.

Marcho Gamgee and TopBanana10 repped this.
  7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Lots of dual national too. Could be loads of churn by the time the U17 Euros roll around, if it’s anything like this year, some of them might miss out on U17 football completely.

This afternoon was so impressive though. Such a well rounded performance.

8. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I thought it was notable they got a significant number of their dual nats in for their toughest tournament of the season. Oluwayemi, Egan-Riley, Dembele, Barry, Musiala and Ohio have all been with other countries at one point or another.

9. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think only 6 of 13 new scholars for next season at United are England eligible or look likely to play for England. So many of them from outside academies too. Can't remember an intake quite like this.

10. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's the complete opposite at Chelsea, ten of them have played for England at some level, and two more who were released and signed somewhere else have too.

11. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    It's a shame really, particularly when you think of the class of 92 - how talented they were and nearly all English.

Could it be (a) there are no longer talented local footballers around (b) the talented local footballers are joining Man City or other academies (c) the scouts aren't good enough to recognize potential, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

12. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Would be wrong to boil it down to one factor, will be multiple things, including the ones you mentioned. Compounded by random stuff like Charlie Savage being one of them, so he's a normal local recruit who in this discussion probably counts as Welsh.

Nationality aside, I don't think it's a good year at all. Which is becoming increasingly the norm at United.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  13. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It looks weak intake from what I know about the players. Maybe quality issues with local recruitment?

14. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Anyone know if Deji Sotana is England qualified? Not played for Ireland this season, I'm not sure how long he's lived here?

15. GroteBergMan

GroteBergMan Member

Nov 29, 2017
    It's due to weak recruitment and a bit of bad luck at the lower ages when these were young, the recruitment team has been boosted greatly at United over the last 2 years and I know a lot of the current staff which are outstanding, they'll be fine and recruitment is very good at United currently and should have some very exciting players coming through in the coming years.

16. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #3466 Slater582, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    According to an article in the Manchester evening news from last month, the under-13 group at Manchester United is one to watch. Would that be 2006 year group?

Daily Mail reckons he'll be playing for England U17 next season.

17. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Don't read anything into that Daily Mail piece. They're simply reacting to stuff he's posting on Social Media. They're less informed than the people in this thread tbh.

David Hurford repped this.
  18. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    It was interesting watching dembele in this tournament. A few years ago he was leaps above his peers, now not so. Still v good but musiala patino and especially bellingham seemed our best players to me. Hope we keep hold of musiala because he floats through a game

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It’s kind of on the cards though isn’t it, or have I misread the situation? I mean, of late he’s only been turning out for England hasn’t he?

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Sure.

But my point is that the whole Daily Mail article has been clearly written based on less information than anyone who is on this forum or frequents this thread, already has. So there's no need to take it as some credible new piece of information or any indication that they've got an inside scoop on his future, just because they're a mainstream sports website.

David Hurford and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I dunno, admittedly I haven't watched all of the footage but from what I did see he looks technically the best of the lot to me. I don't think this group is anywhere near the 00's either.

22. Yafadashu

Yafadashu New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Don't think Dembele is technically the best of the lot tbh. Seen him loads and although talented, he's over-hyped, sometimes overcomplicating things that should be simple.
    Agree with David, Patino, Bellingham, Musiala and a few others offer more on the pitch.

23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    How old is Harvey Griffths at City? Came on as a sub today. Egan-Riley started + Mbete came on as a sub.

Onyango with a brace against United.

24. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think he's U16 but I'm not 100%.

25. Footballzone

Footballzone New Member

Manchester City
    Spain
    Apr 27, 2019