England U-16 Discussion Thread 2 [R] (2008 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 4, 2012.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  2. brettspurs

brettspurs Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Nov 9, 2017
    Looked a very soft penalty against us at 23:30 in the 2nd half .. and by soft I mean completely wrong.

David Hurford and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Looks like there is plenty of potential in this squad going forward, plenty of talent here to keep an eye on over the coming few years.

To be honest, we should have been two or three goals ahead at halftime and Argentina only scored due to us trying to play out from the back ( which I don’t mind at this level ) and a very soft penalty like Brett said, for which I have no idea why the ref gave it since the defender clearly played the ball. Barry scored a cracker of a goal though.

Overall I think we were unlucky to end up losing but a good test with two good sides.

4. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Pity about the first goal but the DNA calls for a more progressive style of play and you're going to get mistakes, particularly at the younger age groups. I'd much rather try this way than just have the keeper hoof the ball down the field, which has certainly happened in the past. That type of limited low-risk brand of football will only take you so far at Senior level.

Best period of the game for England results in a goal at approx 16:50, great chances at approx 19:40, a decent save at 22:00 and hitting the post from the subsequent corner. Really should have been in the lead at half time. The opposition looked a talented side also and the penalty comes from a period of pressure just after the hour mark. Overall I agree with Marcho that they didn't deserve to be on the losing side but it's definitely a team with potential. The right back, Collwill, Bellingham, Musiala & Barry among the better players in my opinion.

It was a shot and not a cross, right? :cautious::unsure:

5. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It's such a high standard of teams involved.

France, England, Mexico, Ivory Coast, Portugal, Spain, Brazil, Argentina. tweeted this the other day, but they'll probably never play in a tournament with such a high concentration of talent.

6. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    2-0 up vs Ivory Coast atm, Delap and John scoring, not got a team sheet yet.

7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Finished 5-0

John x2
    Patino
    Dembele
    Delap

Juni repped this.
  8. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nile John is only claiming one goal on his instagram

9. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Diallo got the one otherwise credited to him.

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Seemed a bit of an easy win tbh and could have been more and considering the pitch didn’t look that good, we played some really good football and scored some really good goals. Looks like another squad with really good depth and all look really good technically but having said that, Ivory Coast looked quite poor so not sure what to make of it?

Like the look of Liam Delap, looks like a forward with really good composure and awareness in and around the penalty area.

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Dembele scoring against his 3rd nation.

13. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I like the look of Patino. Brings something different to the midfield, better ball progression in this game IMO

David Hurford repped this.
  14. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeah he's better on the ball than Kenneh, who played DM in the previous game, albeit not as secure defensively.

Apparently the Ivorian players were still in Africa when they were supposed to play Portugal in their opening game and ended up forfeiting the result. Tournament organisers were anticipating them missing the whole competition but they flew in the day before the England match, doesn't seem the best preparation. Fortunate that they were not our first fixture as you never want to miss out on games, particularly when you've got a squad with good depth.

15. Final score 3-1 for the English! The English will play the game for 3rd place on Monday! #MondialMontaigu

David Hurford repped this.
  16. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Musiala scored the third according to the tournament Insta story (and Musiala confirmed he got a goal, Barry hasn't claimed one), Diallo assisted all three goals.

17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    First was an own goal.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Only watched the first half so far but geez, this lot are great to watch from what I’ve seen so far and from that first half.

20. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A lot of the time so far this group has gone Patino-Bellingham-John on midfield, which is about as ballsy a midfield as you can go for in terms of style at this level, championing possession and use of the ball above everything else. I was gonna say it was reminiscent of the 2000s group going McEachran-OakleyBoothe-Foden but when they were U16s we had Skipp and/or Kirby in the team for a more defensive presence, and then latterly Gibbs-White at the U17WC and Gallagher subsequently, though none of them will ever be mistaken for a full-on DM.

I think the only flaw in the group is at right-back; they've gone through a ton of LB options but really just Egan-Riley and Oyegoke at RB. One of those is back and forth between countries atm and the other is a fairly recent convert to the position, so there's scope for others to get involved.

sharpovic repped this.
  21. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Patino is quite similar to McEachran btw, maybe a bit more robust physically

TopBanana10 repped this.
  22. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I saw that comparison too though it's less evident in person. I've seen George so much that maybe it doesn't stand out on occasional viewing but he's constantly on the move, particularly to the extremes of the pitch on the halfway line, offering options off the ball, and while I think Patino can be that player he's not quite that yet, prefers to sit deeper a lot, but yeah he's a bit taller and able to handle himself a little more by comparison at the same age.

sharpovic repped this.
  23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Playing Brazil live, just gone halftime. Winning 2-0, missed the first half an hour so didn’t see who scored the first but Delap got the second. Brazil are now down to 10 men after a nasty stamp on Dembele resulted in a red card. Feel the Brazilians are going to boil over in the second half.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    David Hurford and TopBanana10 repped this.