England U-16 Discussion Thread 2 [R] (2008 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 4, 2012.

1. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Full squad

GK: Louie Moulden, Tom Smith

DF: Josh Brooking, Dynel Simeu, Jeriel Dorsett, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Valentino Livramento, Sam Robinson

MF: Matt Bondswell, Teddy Hoare, Joe Hodge, Yunus Musah, Oliver Pendlebury, Cole Palmer

FW: Jeremy Sarmiento, Benni Smales-Braithwaite, Fabio Carvalho, Sam Greenwood, Ben Knight, Alex Mighten

kbarrett2316, Garibaldi11 and zXen repped this.
  2. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Load of players from the FL. Anyone know of another age group with so many contributions from FL. Good for the country as they're most likely to come through, but I wonder how that happened

3. GroteBergMan

GroteBergMan Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Would've expected some United players in there, maybe Woods or Mengi but suprised to see none in there.

4. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #2829 Garibaldi11, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    To be honest : Mengi has been well down the Centre-back pecking order for this group. Simeu, Wood-Gordon, Dorsett & club u15s Harwood-Bellis & Brooking always been the main 5. I think even Malachi Walcott at Spurs has got call-ups before Mengi.

No real surprises with the GK's. Jinadu & Sanneh seemed the front runners behind Moulden but lately Jinadu has been on trial and Sanneh wasn't picked in the last squads.

Robinson and Livramento alwys the main 2 right-backs.

Tristan Cover at left-back maybe. I thought he had the inside track in the position but it seems like they've gone for Dorsett to cover the position as a centre-back with Bondswell who can cover midfield too.

I must admit - Noni Madueke not being there did come as a surprise. Considering two of the 4 MF's are club u15s in Musah and Hodge. Musah, Hoare and Pendlebury have been captains of this squad with Wood-Gordon. I think even Elliott was captain before.

The attacking midfielders is probably the most competitive part with no Ben Elliott, Claudio Osorio, James McAtee who are all club u15s and Charlie McCann. But how can you argue with Palmer, Carvalho, Knight. I do think Elliott should and will be in the squad when/if fit.

Pennant has lost out to Mighten & Sarmiento.

Gelhardt is injured but Greenwood over Rogers is a little surprising.

To me the most interesting aspect is the number of club u15s in the mix. I think 9 of the 20 are club 15s but not sure on Knight (it will be 8 if not) and with the number on the periphery of the squad it is quite high.

5. markdavies17

markdavies17 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For me, this goes down as an experimental squad as you yourself have said, there are good players that could be involved, that aren't. Also, I don't think Mengi is as far down as you say, he just hasn't been able to play for England recently, because the club don't let him or he's been injured. He was part of this groups first games last season vs Turkey, so he can't be that low in the thinking.

6. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think it is more of a reflection of how strong the group is.

Going back to Italy (Torneo) and the 2 different squads picked recently says a lot in their thinking.

7. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  8. markdavies17

markdavies17 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's fair enough, but even with that, a lot of the lads that went to that tournament and are amongst the best in the group, aren't in this squad for whatever reason. So I do think it's a mix and sides more to experimental than best/ strongest available

9. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The differences to the Torneo squad.

Tom Smith in for Serine Sanneh
    Josh Brooking in for Nathan Wood-Gordon
    Matt Bondswell in for Tristan Cover
    Teddy Hoare in for Noni Madueke
    Ben Knight in for Claudio Osorio
    Fabio Carvalho in for Ben Elliott
    Jeremy Sarmiento in for Terrell Pennant
    Sam Greenwood in for Morgan Rogers
    Benni Smales in for Joe Gelhardt

Bondswell, Hoare, Knight, Carvalho, Greenwood were in the main squad in Scotland already.

Looks like Smith, Brooking & Sarmiento forced their way in from the squad that went to Eastern Europe.

Obviously injury has played a role for the likes of Wood-Gordon, Elliott & Gelhardt missing out. Rogers was not involved for WBA u18s on the weekend to make you wonder if he is injured.

10. markdavies17

markdavies17 Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Elliott played for Chelsea on the weekend. You can't tell me Fabio is better than him, age is the only factor here. The same way you can't tell me that Sarmiento is better than Pennant. Also, Noni 100% should be in this squad, but that could be down to Spurs not releasing him. I think the next fixtures/tournament will throw up a different squad again

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  11. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The Elliott one is confusing. He definitely should be in the squad.

I also like Madueke from what I've seen but I can't remember Spurs rejecting call-ups in this age group and he played for Spurs 16s on the weekend.

12. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Elliott's not long back from a broken ankle is he? Probably plays a part.

13. kbarrett2316

kbarrett2316 Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    A bit similar to the Scotland game. Dominating but not too much of a threat in final third. Knight and Carvalho with some decent touches/play.

15. kbarrett2316

kbarrett2316 Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Knight, Carvalho and Mighten have impressed me so far. Defensively there were a couple of small errors but Simeu and Harwood-Bellis seem likely they can play out from the back well. Brooking doing alright at RB.

Hoare was taken off 14 minutes in due to injury unfortunately.

16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    England have bossed this 2nd half. They look brilliant. Just cutting through the US with their passing from the back with ease. Have barely misplaced anything, even without settling for any negative + simple pass.

Could be 3/4-0. Just got a bit unlucky with a few chances.

17. Sensanetional

Sensanetional Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Interesting how Hodge has the 10 shirt, isn't he a midfield anchor?

18. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Small thing but looks like Fynn Talley has replaced Tom Smith in the squad, both are Arsenal goalkeepers.

19. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #2844 Garibaldi11, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Missed the first half so being watching the re-run during the day.

Hopefully Hoare is alright. Seemed innocuous.

Thought it was a very impressive team performance. Particularly 2nd half.

Liked the look of Benni Smales when he came on to balance this group off. Just back from a long-term injury so missed out a lot of games last season with them.

20. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    What was the starting XI, need to do a tweet about Knight's involvement in the game from ITFC account - was it 2-0 in the end?

21. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1-0, Harwood-Bellis near the end.

ENG: 1-Louie Moulden; 3-Josh Brooking (6-Samson Robinson, 62), 5-Taylor Harwood-Bellis, 2-Dynel Simeu (capt.), 8-Matt Bondswell (4-Jeriel Dorsett, 78), 12-Teddy Hoare (11-Yunus Musah, 15), 14-Fabio Carvalho, 10-Joe Hodge; 15-Benjamin Knight, 20-Sam Greenwood (19-Benjamin Braithwaite, 74) , 17-Alexander Mighten

Substitutes not used: 13-Flynn Talley, 7-Valentino Livramento, 9-Oliver Pendlebury, 16-Cole Palmer, 18-Jeremy Sarmiento

22. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Knight took the corner for us to score in the 79th minute through Harwood-Bellis.

Team was

Moulden
    Brooking Simeu (c) Bellis Bondswell
    Hoare Hodge
    Knight Carvalho Mighten
    Greenwood

Subs :

Musah for Hoare (15th minute)
    Robinson for Brooking (62nd minute)
    Smales-Braithwaite for Greenwood (74th minute)
    Dorsett for Bondswell (78th minute)

Unused : Talley, Livramento, Pendlebury, Palmer, Sarmiento

itfcjoe repped this.
  23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, it was similar. Disappointing. And with poor finishing of the chances that did come - with an "obsession" for going for the near post. Anyone know what our results were two years ago here?

24. royalsman

royalsman New Member

Feb 20, 2017
    Club:
    Reading FC
    was a bit frenetic at the beginning but settled later in the game - was surprised to see Brooking at RB apparently first game ever as a full back - I guess because of athleticism he offers & quality of Simeu & Bellis pairing

25. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Beat USA 3-2 (Loader, Sancho x2)
    Beat Brazil 2-0 (Foden x2)
    Drew with Netherlands 2-2 (Sancho, R.Sessegnon)

Went on to beat the first two at the U17 World Cup too, Netherlands obv didn't qualify.

The Guardian repped this.