England thinks they can win World Cup

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by REALfootballRulez, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    A tisket, a tasket, a goal by Lauren Bassett.
    She is the best blonde haired player to ever play for Japan.
    It's pretty sad that Japan only won by one goal again, after having a 12-on-10 advantage.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually this case won't be closed until sunday... ;)

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: You're looking at this with USA colored glasses.

No, they were not "placed" in the GofD. They put in a place and given 3 other teams to play against. As with any team that wants to advance, they won.
    Though history, the GofD does not always mean an more difficult group, or that a weaker group is easier. Ask France.

You beat the teams you face. Many were predicting Canada to be in the Semis based on home field advantage.

And? On paper this looks easy but Cameroon was certainly not an easy match (didn't see the Swiss match). And just because they won by "just one goal" does not mean they are less deserving. Again, you beat the teams you play. Had they won all their matched 6-5, would they more or less deserving?

Huh? It would say it was fairly even. Japan had the advantage in fitness, overall, as some of England's players were done. But some of England's players were playing very well. It is my opinion that Japan would have advanced without additional luck in ET. That said, the winning goal was caused by a great pass to a player that was in perfect position. Regardless of the defensive mistake, it was still a goal scoring opportunity.

Of course. They won when they had to.

Not really. Japan won when they had to. Luck does play a part in victory.

Perhaps, but you have also set up an excuse for the US if they lose.

cpthomas, blissett and gricio61 repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? What is your basis for that?

5. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    He's jokingly suggesting that Bassett was playing for Japan. No, I didn't think it was funny either.

blissett repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got that, it was just read as too stupid to be funny.

blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, guys, we're talking WWC_Movement, aka former WPS_Movement... :rolleyes:

8. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    WWC_Movement made a very cogent series of points but people didn't like the conclusion. I'll now go through why soccernutter did not adequately reply to his points, much less refute any

Not placed in Group of Death? Huh? What? Everyone in the media called the group which the USA was placed in the Group of Death. Unless you're trying to construct some strange riddle or something why would you disagree with this point? It was obviously the toughest overall group by any measure, and Japan's was one of the easiest

I agree Cameroon gave Japan quite the scare in that 2nd half. How does that support your contention that Japan did extremely well?

And yes, generally speaking a powerhouse team is more impressive when they won't just win by 1 goal against greatly inferior opposition. Is this breaking news somehow? Look at the goal Japan let in from the Netherlands. How can that not make Japan go down in your eyes? Bizarre

You just said it. It is entirely your OPINION that Japan would have beaten England in E.T. You don't know that. Noone does. But what we do know is that England was outplaying Japan especially in the 2nd half. We do know that!

I am glad you admit luck plays a part in victory. This is part of why we feel Japan is the greatly weaker Finalist compared to the USA.

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    one stat; no team that won the Algarve Cup, has gone to win the WC the same year(US won this year's AC). I wouldn't underestimate Japan at all; they made two beautifully accurate long passes that set up both goals. They also have incredible patience getting through when other teams pressure them. But spending time on that 'patience' is exactly why they probably not going to score a bunch of goals or win big

blissett repped this.
  10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct; USA was randomly drawn into the GoD. They were not placed into a rigged group. That would be cheating.

You missed his point; see his double-quotes for emphasis.

USA was obviously placed into an empty Group D as the seed, to fix its (fans') travel plans. At this point, it's not a GoD yet; it's a blank slate, exactly equal to the other 5 groups. Whatever happened after that was random.

(At other WC/WWCs, the seeds are randomly drawn into their groups, so the knockout rounds are also random -- but perhaps that doesn't work so well with a host country as wide as Canada, from Vancouver to Moncton.)

Hence, it would be correct for the original poster to have written: USA were drawn into the GoD. Hence the first reply, and this reply.

soccernutter and blissett repped this.
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been busy with personal matters so haven't been able to post in a while.

Can someone tell WHY on earth didn't Carney start for England vs. Japan? She is their best or one of their best strikers and didn't come on till 10 minutes left! That is INSANE! I expected England to do to Japan what the USA did to Japan. I thought England would come out and overwhelm them and score at least 1 or 2 goals in the 1st half. If they started Carney maybe they would've!

13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Eh. I'm happy how things turned out. It's a big guessing game to say what could've happened.

blissett repped this.
  14. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just makes NO sense whatsoever to leave your best player on the bench for 90% of the game! Talk about SUICIDE!

15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just don't care about the matter much anymore. Sampson made a lot of great decisions, but made a couple of head scracthing ones.

16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes.

17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A game Germany genuinely didnt care about. 3rd/4th place is for losers.

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #118 W.A.S.P., Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Sure. I assume Germany never really cared about the whole tournament then.

19. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I guess you know all too well when we mean business. 6-2 in a final is just good enough. I guess we even meant more business last year at Wembley for the utter disgrace that has happened there.

20. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I guess you're not a fan of FA Cup finals then.

21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Im not a fan of motion-dyslexic anti-football, ergo, not of England.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Relax man, I'm just trolling. Think what you want of England. I'm excited of what they can do at the Euro's. I'm glad I don't have an agenda against any team.

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agenda? Nah, for that you're just not important enough for us. We've had a hard time enough slugging the French.

24. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hitler assumed the same and look what happened to him.

25. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That was invading Russia in winter. What has this got to do with visiting Paris with a few hundred thousand security agents?

Hope you dont feel offended that it's the French(or the Dutch in men's footy) who are the real deal for us. That you take proud in bucking yourselves up by playing filler teams to make it that far into the last tourney is also kinda embarassing now.