England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I guess you haven't seen Jack Clarke, Harry Wilson, Jarrod Bowen, Harvey Barnes playing in the Championship, also last year Brooks, Maddison and a lot of fine young players who are already in the Prem. It's not 1999 anymore, it's 2019, wake up!

2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm wide awake. Those are not top players.

3. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Not top players yet, but they can easily be in one or two years. As could be Mount, Max Aarons, Bogle, Harper, Tavernier, Appiah, Reece James and a few others.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    What do folks make of Lacelles?

From what I’ve seen he’s poor on the ball but has a lot of presence looks a real leader.

5. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Not sure he's suited to international football. Very physical. He'd be behind Stones, Maguire and Gomez anyway. Bearing in mind that Dier can also play in that position.

6. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    It's not to say he's terrible or anything but the reactionary thing was calling him up in the first place. I also see a lot of talk about how will get get the chance at Chelsea next season - but he's also not even close to that level yet either.

At the moment I have a slight concern he could be another Lewis Baker - another midfielder who if he's not getting goals and assists struggles to get involved which means he's been sidelined in a tougher league for goals - but hopefully that influence will come with age and experience. He's also pretty profligate on the ball at the moment which is one of the main things he needs to work on. The other disappointing thing so far is he really doesn't carry the ball much at all for Derby, which has previously been one of his strengths.

David Hurford repped this.
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  8. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Rashford is playing well through the middle at the moment. He was wasted on mourinho.

9. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    So delighted to see him grow. His stats are starting to pull up for man u and england. Either a goal or an assist every other game instead of every 3 games. Todays effort was all him

W.A.S.P. and TopBanana10 repped this.
  10. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah Rashford looks good...

Our attacking force at the next euros should be good.

Kane, Rashford, Sancho, Sterling, Hudson Odoi..

11. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Not forgetting solanke and Abraham will be both playing regularly in the prem by then so our striking options have never looked so strong.

12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Now Alli is injured too.

13. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    A sublime headed goal from Harry Winks! He was very impressive throughout this match, always positive, passing forward if he can, really good having him for midfield.

W.A.S.P. and TopBanana10 repped this.
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The Potter repped this.
  15. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    So with the injury to Alli, I make that Alli, loftus cheek, Lewis cook out. Assuming south gate was to name a squad tomorrow what midfielders would we have available? Cos that would make the squad pretty thin by my working out.

16. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Don't think it's enough for major changes: Henderson, Dier, Winks, Barkley, Lingard, Delph.

17. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I mean, these are no major absentees: Cook is not a regular anyway, RLC not more than a fringe player so far, and Alli is not an automatic starter anymore. Moreover there is not anyone in the moment who would warrant a cap with his form: Maddison has suffered a blip in form (hopefully not serious), Hughes is in and out for a mediocre Watford team. Maybe Ward-Prowse is doing fine under Hasenhüttl, but he should do that for a few months, not just two games long.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Southgate has for a while been calling up options that have done well at youth level as squad options. Considering Mount also impressed in Eredivisie it was hardly reactionary to give him merely a squad place.

We simply don’t have the depth in quality to fill squads continuously with definitively confirmed senior quality options.

19. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I'm hoping massidon changes form soon like to say. He was meant to be our next saviour attacking midfielder who would be that link that we've been missing for years. Mind you, I don't know why I ever listen to the hype because they never live up to it

20. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Takes patience.

21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No that's Foden.

22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Who's in pole position to form England's midfield three? Considering Winks' recent form he's hard to ignore, but who would other people play? There aren't many regular starters in contention but a few fringe players that are hard to separate.

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I'd build the team around Grealish but I said the same about Hoddle plus Le Tissier - nobody listened then either :)

TopBanana10 repped this.
  24. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I'd build a team around declan rice. I know he hasn't been mentioned much on here but I really hope he declares for us. I really think he would have that position nailed down for years and years to come.

TitoTata and TopBanana10 repped this.
  25. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Winks is a must for me IMO. I like the midfield we had with him, Barkley, and Dier.