England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Will be exceptionally annoying if Southgate is already heading in a direction that rules TAA, Loftus-Cheek, Gomez and others from playing in the U21 Euros.

2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah what you said makes sense Gomez seems like a no-brainer (I hate that saying), and Barkley fair enough. On the other hand Sancho does play for Dortmund and if you're good enough to be a regular at Dortmund then you are good enough for England. As far as the other two go, Sessengon struggled vs Palace from what I saw and Foden is yet to really feature much for City putting them in the under 21's makes sense especially considering how stacked the under 19's are in offensive positions when every one is fit.

3. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Loftus-Cheek has just played in a world cup, what's the point in him playing at a under 21 Euros? Give another kid a chance to prove and improve himself.

David Hurford repped this.
  4. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I think if they do well at their clubs well see mount and sancho promoted for the euros. Maybe sessegnon too but I think hell be a part of the seniors by then

5. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think it's beneficial for players to be the key men in pressure situations where they're expected to step up and be dominant.

People said the same about Barkley, Shaw etc. They didn't even make squads for the next tournaments. I think we should give our best players as much tournament experience as possible. Especially if Loftus-Cheek isn't going to be playing 90 minutes every week this season.

Sancho + Foden will be eligible for 2019 + 2021. There's no need to rush these guys through.

Just look at the Spain squad from 2017.

He made his under-21s debut last year and it can be revealed Southgate was set to invite him to train with the senior squad before the World Cup in May - only for Maddison to suffer a knee injury on the final day of Norwich’s season at Sheffield Wednesday.

About Maddison.

W.A.S.P. and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, actually I'd agree with that. These guys need competitive football, not just training.

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Barkley and Shaw only didn’t progress because of long term injuries though. You want players to be playing U21 level tournaments but when you have a coach like Boothroyd you begin to wonder what the point is of forcing players to step down a level to play for a coach that offers his team so little.

I don’t think playing Wilshere under Pearce at a tournament would have changed any of the circumstances that ended up happening.

8. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    that wasn't my point.

My point was that everyone loves to suggest the guys capped in the seniors are 'above' the U21s but they're often clearly not. None of them are established at the level.

If you think youth tournaments have no benefit, then fair enough.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you're making too much of the coach, baz.

I get that it doesn't help but it means they're put under pressure in a competitive situation. That HAS to improve their ability, even if it's only their ability to cope when placed into a difficult situation in a game, the wrong position, poor tactics or whatever. That will always be preferable to sitting watching it on the telly or riding the bench.

I mean, it's true they'd be better with a better coach but, nevertheless, if the alternative is them NOT playing, playing is always better.

YMMV!

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I’m not saying youth competitions have no benefit. I’m not sure how what I said can be construed in that manner.

The situation just creates a few points in my mind -

1.) If a player who is deemed senior doesn’t end up going usually we have an option that could do with the starting experience anyway or is even of a similar quality level.
    2.) These players are stepping down a level to play for a coach that is the worst coach they will have ever worked with. This is the incentive they are provided with for going to a tournament that they instantly know is going to be a tactical struggle.
    3.) Spanish examples are always put forward but it is ignored that their experiences are always so beneficial because they usually have a great coach, the correct system and a good style of play. The only time this wasn’t the case was in the last campaign and they have just changed coaches I assume because of this.

I just don’t understand why RLC has to go to another U21 tournament under Boothroyd. If you have had minimal breaks in your young career and have the option of having a summer off to recharge or going to a tournament with Boothroyd I would probably advise the player to take a break.

The FA and certain coaches have whinged and moaned about this type of stuff for years but have always failed the players. Provide the correct platform for the players and then I would have an issue with a couple of players not going. Until then I cant really support an argument for demanding that options have to go.

Boothroyd’s displays this season have been disgraceful as far as I’m concerned. I don’t care about the results.

11. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Sure, I hate Boothroyd and think he's trash too. Don't think it's too relevant though, especially not to Potter's original point.

If an U21 Euros under Boothroyd is worthless for RLC, it's worthless for anyone.

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like just about all of us I'm on high Sessegnon, but I think Shaw's had a good start so I won't be surprised to see him get called back in along with Rose at this stage or perhaps we deploy Delph who looks comfortable at LB. Sessegnon should at least go with the U21's and the same goes for Maddison. I agree that Gomez should/would called up, but not sure about Barkley knowing Southgate because he's usually not consistent with his midfield priorities. I for one would like for Barkley to be picked.

If I was Gareth I'd pick Foden, but it's doubtful because he's not been getting lots of minutes for City, but you never know. Like you said there's three more matches until the international break.

13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    For me, this is entirely dependent on how much Loftus-Cheek actually plays this season. If he's a regular at a high level, he'll be with England's seniors all season, and he'll also probably need a break next summer. If his minutes are more sporadic, he may not stay with the seniors and he probably won't need a break.

The Potter repped this.
  14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree, but I can see why he will want them to go forward. This Euro qualifying cycle is critical for Gomez to assert his place in the starting XI for Liverpool and England, which he's fully capable of doing. TAA has already done it at Liverpool and for me it's quite clear he's mainstay in the England squad behind Trippier for now. Loftus-Cheek atm is a different story because his position is very competitive at Chelsea while the latter have either nailed down or on the verge of doing so.

But yes, I'd like to see at least TAA and Gomez going to the U21 Euros. It'd be more annoying honestly if Foden and Sessegnon miss out because of senior call ups. We should remember that despite Boothroyd we have a pretty talented U21 group already.

15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    At this stage, it would seem a bit odd to me to call Sessegnon up as a wing-back when he's playing as a wide forward for Fulham. He may end up moving back there, but it could be counterproductive to ask that he keep switching back and forth between positions.

16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did he prove himself at the World Cup? I think he was underused, but I don't think he proved himself. An U21 tournament where he'll be starting is just as helpful for his development.

Rabbi Keane repped this.
  17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I'm re-reading my posts to see if I've used the word worthless and I can't see it :). I don't think it's worthless but I do believe a poor coach greatly diminishes a tournament experience for the players.

Also, if a player has already been to an U21 Championship and a World Cup finals (like RLC) they are imo in a different position to say Maddison who has never played an international tournament.

I've always felt that the issue with players dropping down a level is not solely that they feel they are above the level. It's also that they don't believe they will gain much from going to a tournament with a specific coach. If we had a Lopetegui type the players would be going into a tournament thinking they will learn alot from the experience and play a way that suits them. Or even merely having confidence that the coach will understand how to implement them in a system.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    True. It's going to be hard for Southgate to prioritise what is best for certain players considering everything. I can't say I'm even certain what Boothroyd will do himself. He might want to stick with options he's been playing through the qualifying campaign.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Didn't Boothroyd play him on the right wing or was that a nightmare I had?

20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Shhhh, just a dream.

Only joking, of course he did.

21. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I don't think it's a choice between the two though. We can have some fluidity between teams.

22. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's basically my view, I guess that's what I should have said in the beginning.

One of the things that most impressed me about the English youth set up was that their were no ringers. No senior stepped down to the u21s, no u21s to the u19s and no u19s to the under 17s. If players are going to these youth tournaments because it will aid their advancement great but if it is just to try and win an underage trophy then I don't really see the point.

23. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought he proved he was capable of playing that at level.

24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I half think a tournament with Boothroyd could do more harm than good. He seemed to instil more cowardice than belief the last time out.

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008