England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The Golden Generation with their embarrassing England career, never fulfilling their potential, never able to pull together as a team bringing their club rivalry into the England team. Now they see what a group of mostly inferior players can achieve when they are a unit that have each others back and work together towards a common goal. Not as many sitting out of friendlies as before.

2. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    62% possession today. :)

On Sky Sports last week he analysed the win in Spain and was very positive.:cool:

TopBanana10 repped this.
  3. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Negativity??

I thought Rashford did ok , Sancho would be a starter for me every game ... Gomez great again ..

4. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    couldn't see the second half unfortunately but thought he was excellent first half

5. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Couldn't see the second half I'll watch it later but thoroughly enjoyed the first. The technical level was so much better than at the world cup. Total control for 35 mn, Gomez Stones Dier Delph Barkley were enjoying themselves with the ball and kept the whole croatian team quiet. With this set up and those players on the pitch England would have reached the world cup final IMO. Very positive

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  6. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    BBC or McNulty in particular has given Barkley the lowest rating, I thought he was pretty good? Not sure what game he was watching. Delph is also a far better option than Henderson or Dier. He is very mobile and also can pick a pass.

Gomez-Stones CB pairing looks to be a high quality one and we also have Maguire. That position has gone from a trouble spot to very good. LB we have Chilwell and Shaw and also hopefully Rose if he gets some form back. RB we have plenty of depth. Just need another striker coming through because I see a lot of young attackers coming through, we should enjoy very good strength in depth in a couple of years

hussar and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow Belgium out Switzerland through to the last 4 coming from 2-0 down to win 5-2!

We definitely have a chance now.. although I bet people will slate this competition as not real.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, negativity. You always seem to be having a pop at someone and always seeing the negative side of things. I mean your nit pickings at Kane, Sterling and Southgate to start with. Is there nothing you are liking with this current England side?

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Saw an interview with him a while back about England and he was very ‘meh’ in his attitude and just very much a Club over Country man, which is fine if that’s how you feel but since he played for England and came out of retirement for a World Cup, I was just surprised with his apparent lack of interest for England.

10. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    McNulty has very poor football knowledge. 5 to Barkley is extremely strange.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, I agree. We’re actually at a pretty healthy stage at the moment and what I mean by that is that if we pick up injuries, I’m not shitting it thinking crap we will have to play ‘X’ player or ‘Y’ player and be nervous about it. Although we’re not at the starting eleven level of the so called ‘ Golden Generation ‘ however, if we lost Gary Neville I would be like oh my god, we’ve got Danny Mills coming on. Now days at right back, I would feel at ease with either Walker, TAA or Trippier tbh and same at left back, Chillwell, Shaw or Rose. Only concern is Centre mid is obviously still our lightest area but it’s getting better and if Kane gets injured.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  12. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Switzerland's performance was incredible.

The Emile Heskey of Swiss football scored a hat trick for the first time since his Serie B days.

As it stands:

England
    Switzerland
    Portugal all qualified
    Holland or France tomorrow

Also as per clashes with the UEFA Nations Semis and Finals, we go into a pot of 5 to qualify for Euro 2020. Plays into our hands somewhat and we get to test ourselves and a great chance to win our first silverware.

hussar repped this.
  13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Just think just 2 years ago we were getting knocked out by a Iceland in the euros.

14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Most likely someone like Scholes for me. He always seems miserable.

RobTheFool repped this.
  15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Maybe it is a member of the golden generation using the site.

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I just gave a few positives .... You've replied to that very post ... Why should I take you seriously when you don't even read my posts properly ?

The keeper is good , Gomez and Maguire and Stones great .. Rashford and Sancho great .

I'd actually build the whole team around Grealish but he's being ignored for whatever reason ..

17. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He is playing in the championship.

18. upreti laxman

upreti laxman New Member

Manchester United
    England
    Nov 18, 2018
    Japan Okinawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Nepal
    Wayne Rooney played in his last ever England game, as his team earned a comfortable 3-0 win against USA, and bid farewell to the England legend. He played 120 cap his carrier football- he make go score 53 goal for his country it was really good moment for him.

W.A.S.P. and wellno repped this.
  19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I thought it was a fantastic performance.

Here we are with a young English manager committed to playing attractive football with a young squad. We dominated possession against Croatia. We were repeatedly carving out chances in the first half.

There was a bit of a wobbly spell after conceding the goal, but after making timely substitutions - we turned the game around and showed the desire to go on and win. Thereby topping a very tough group!

There’s clearly a fantastic team spirit and a connection between the fans and the team.

20. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Anyone who thinks that the England side should be built around Grealish is an obvious troll.

RobTheFool and hussar repped this.
  21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Thought Southgate's decisions were excellent yesterday. He set us up in a way that allowed us to dominate possession and create chances in the first half, which unfortunately we weren't able to convert. When we went behind, he quickly made meaningful changes to the midfield and they paid off. I know we've criticised his subs at times before, but I can't ask for much more than that.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  22. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Built around is a bit strong but I think Grealish would have something to bring to this team at least as a squad player. Will never happen unless he signs for Spurs though. And less urgent now that Barkley and Maddison are in the picture.

The Potter and TopBanana10 repped this.
  23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Well you're the newbie after only a few months and not many posts ..
    I tend to think that someone labelling a fellow forum member as a troll for simply airing an opinion is actually a troll / WUM ..

For what it's worth Harry Redknapp feels the same way about Grealish and I'll take his view over a simple keyboard warrior every day of the week ...

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He was all set to join Spurs until their owner started to play games apparently... we've had Championship players in the team play Grealish is exceptional.

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    “I think he’s a player England could start to get into the group, he’s the type of player England are lacking, someone who can do something special and open the door in the midfield.”

Not exactly calling to build the team round him is he? Invite him to some training sessions maybe.

The Potter and TopBanana10 repped this.