England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be fair it might have been a question of running at a tired defence but, I agree. I'd start the kid next time.

The only thing is, who for...

Rashford did well enough and I like Lingard. Also Barkley did well for most of the first half, (although he fell away after that and gives the ball away too easily for my liking in an England shirt), so it's gonna be a tough one.

On that showing I'd say Rashford and Sancho with Lingard and Barkley to freshen it up.

sinner78 repped this.
  2. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    You have to give Kane credit ,was sh*t for most of the game but when it mattered he scored.Something you have to say Rooney never did for England.

hussar and sinner78 repped this.
  3. footy14wiz

footy14wiz Member

Nov 13, 2018
    Yeah, Kane saved England there, but strikers are there to score goals. England now has a very good chance to win this competition, but they will still have to beat either Portugal, or (probably) Belgium, or (probably) Netherlands.

I think that this Nations League is one of the best international competition, and was a great idea to replace pointless friendlies.

4. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    The Barkley sub was a bit eyebrow raising, but overall I don't think you can complain about the subs. It's great to see that England can put out a strong XI and still have impact players like Lingard, Alli and Sancho on the bench.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    One of the best things about that win is that I don’t think any of our best players were particularly good. We finally have options on the bench to make impacts. Obviously the players that came on did well enough. We could could also have even brought on Winks or RLC to offer their own styles or Wilson to play that grafting physical role that is so annoying for CB’s with tired legs.

We still have a place for a more direct right sided option. Players like Lookman or Nelson could be tried there. I thought it was a pretty dominant composed display but lacking too much in the final third. Something to build on and we now have at least another high level match to gather more experience.

It’s very impressive the way the likes of Chilwell, Gomez, Winks, Sancho and others have seamlessly transitioned to senior level.

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    I think at lot of this comes down to Southgate (and not just from knowing a lot of the players from the U21s). While there's no denying he has his tactical limitations, he does appear to be excellent with the personal side of management.

7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I think Steve Holland should get credit as well.

W.A.S.P., TopBanana10, hussar and 2 others repped this.
  8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #1708 BarryfromEastenders, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    He certainly deserves credit but also the players themselves deserve a lot too. They are all talented players but opposition wise they have been dropped in the deep end very quickly into an inexperienced team.

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

11. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So next summer, I think we have a decent chance? Portugal are beatable. Belgium and France if they qualify would be tough but we could beat either on a good day I feel..

Might be bad for the youngsters who could miss the u21 tournament but I guess they are getting competitive football instead?

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I completely overslept, missed the entire match and thankfully we pulled it out of our arses. The Nations League is coming home!

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I was kinda disappointed with Dier .. he gave the ball away in dangerous positions again ( doesn't learn ) and I thought he was hopeless for their goal ... Stones was killing himself to get a tackle in or block the shot but Dier just stood back .. even turned slightly away from the shot which deflected off him into the goal ..

14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Exactly .... his constant giving the ball away in dangerous areas ticks me off .. he's so slow he can't even get back to make a tackle to recover the situation

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Missed a sitter early on and had a few chances before his winning goal .. don't agree with Southgate's notion that he's the best finisher in the world tbh

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Sancho would be a starter for me now .. have Sterling as a super sub .

Sterling gets in good positions but his final ball is pitiful / wasteful

roverman repped this.
  17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Southgate is the English equivalent of Barca's Valverde ... constantly makes poor team selections, has his favourites, teams play lacklustre football but ends up with some lucky wins ..

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

W.A.S.P., TopBanana10 and hussar repped this.
  19. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    WOW!!!! Its not the best England team I've seen.But it maybe the one with the most bottle.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Interesting to see that Rooney said "I know there are some ex-players who I've spoken to who can't come to terms with England doing well". I wish he'd been pressed on that because I'm not entirely sure what he means.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jamie Carragher, I always find quite negative when it comes to England so maybe he means him.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Lacklustre football isn’t necessarily something I would label him or this team with except when he starts with Dier and Henderson. Some of our football today, especially in the first half I thought was very good and just going back to the Spain game, if you thought Sterling’s first goal was lacklustre then I would say you’re mad.

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    One great goal .... Sterling was back to his unpredictable self , wasteful with the ball , poor choice making ...

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Most likely merely to do with looking at what happened with their international careers and having regrets/frustrations. Might even be hard to watch England games for some of them, which I think is understandable. Would very much doubt there is any true ill will.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Here we go! Back to the Sterling bashing.........didn’t take long did it. :mad:

Are you always such a miserable git? Even when we win you come on here with your negativity. Jesus man.

ChristianSur repped this.