England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    So, Grealish will have to wait at least another year to playing for England. It's frustrating because he should get to the next level now, and another year for the Championship is not what he needs now.

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Looks like Loftus-Cheek may well be spending the season as back-up/rotation at Chelsea along with Barkley, as Chelsea have (shock) signed two more players in their positions. Hard to see either of them being first-choice for the big games ahead of Kanté, Jorginho, or Kovacic, and that's not even considering Fabregas.

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wouldn’t surprise me by the end of the month he looks for a loan move abroad tbh. Can’t see him being happy about being back up there for the season. As an England fan, I’m already not looking forward to this season in regards to English players not playing first team football.

wellno repped this.
  4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Do Chelsea need to keep them to have enough homegrown players in their 25 man squad?

5. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    It doesn't look good now, but I wouldn't find it totally unthinkable, that Loftus-Cheek or/and Barkley would overtake Fabregas, who's legs maybe gone already. Also a few injuries/suspensions, and there could be chances for both of them.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    True with regard to Fàbregas as I think he’s regressing tbh. What’s the deal with Kovacic? Would be interesting to know if the loan has the option to buy or will he just go back after the year loan. I mean surely it would make more sense for Chelsea to develop and give the experience to RLC or Barkley than play Kovacic who will likely go back to Madrid a better player. What a deal for Madrid, get a keeper on the cheap and Chelsea help develop a player for them :cool:

hussar repped this.
  7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, that too but, tbh, both of them have been play further forward than Fab in the pre-season.

Personally I'd like to see RLC go out on loan again or even be sold, maybe back at Palace or somewhere else he will DEFINITELY be playing every week.

Barkley actually looked pretty good in pre-season and more attack minded than Fab has been recently so hopefully he'll get some game time.

My guess is both of them will get games but we'll see.

8. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    its a waste of time with chelsea and english players now. they are only buying them to hit the quota. both barkley and loftus cheek arent in the main 11 imo and should have left/ never joined. its worrying throughout the league. even teams like everton barely have any english players starting now.

9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They just care about quality.

10. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    there are quality english players though. loftus cheek for example could be really good if he gets the chance. but instead of giving him a chance they will spend 50m.... on a big signing. i think having an english/british core is important. thats just my opinion though.

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  11. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Loftus Cheek plays within himself too much he plays too many side ways passes in the middle of the pitch and when ever he gets a run at goal he plays a side ways pass and the move breaks down instead of shooting .

12. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    They don't need to but it does help their squad depth.

13. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Don't rule out a January move, especially if Villa aren't in contention for promotion at that stage.

W.A.S.P., M, hussar and 1 other person repped this.
  14. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If that is the case then why did they buy Bakayoko from Monaco.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's called a mistake :D

16. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Bakayoko was great for Monaco to be fair.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw him play for them once. As you say, he was a good player but he keeps coughing up the ball for us.

Thing is, if you pay whatever it we paid for him you'll keep seeing if he improves. won't yer.

18. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Can see Ben Chilwell and James Maddison involved going forward. Is Will Hughes fit for the season? What a missed opportunity for Grealish ...

19. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Maddison or Hughes should be in the next squad, the former has started really well today

20. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Harry Winks with shirt 8 at Spurs, will play a big part this season if he can stay fit, just back in training.
    No signings and Dembele not able to play or train all the time.

W.A.S.P. and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Maddison, Chilwell and Shaw did well, Rashford not so much.

22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I thought Gray was excellent at times too. Can't be too far off a call-up.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, was just about to add that too. Not a bad night for the English player watch tbh

24. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I fear Southgate is too blinded of the names of Sterling and Dele Alli for Gray to have much chance though. They seem to play no matter if they're in form or not.

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Hopefully Shaw gets a run of games. He’ll always struggle to be a consistent performing option when he plays the odd game here and there. Still a boost to the confidence at the start of a season is a positive.