England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why have we stopped our corner routines? It seems suddenly we look average at set pieces again

2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We didn't get any corners against Spain and they only really work if Trippier is delivering them in with his pinpoint accuracy. Those runs we make really work well against lesser teams.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does anyone else think taa offers more than Walker or just me?

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He offers a different style. I like TAA and think he’s a unique full back but Walker is a key player so it’s hard to shift him.

W.A.S.P., thebigman and TopBanana10 repped this.
  5. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Our options at right back are ridiculous. Very hard to choose between them but Walker edges it for now. He also offers vital experience in a young team.

The Potter repped this.
  6. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I always knew we would get better when Rooney was gone. Every time he was absent from the team we looked better as a unit , even with Woys shit tactics. Held us back for years with his lazy play and attitude.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, yeah you say this a couple times a year... Anyway I do agree now because we simply have better players to choose, which at the time he was good, but used in the wrong ways. A better manager would've done something about that.

My biggest complaint was that we had the talent to do well this past summer and before, but just didn't use the right players. Winks and Barkley being a couple, but to be fair they were injured for awhile.

8. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All seems a little bit small time people discussing whether a 3-2 win against Spain is our best result ever. We're not Scotland/Wales.

The Potter repped this.
  9. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Are they really? That's mental.

10. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not on here, saw it a lot on the BBC website, think there was even a poll.

11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's probably our best result since the 4-1 away win against Croatia in 2008. I can't recall anything that was any better against somewhat similar opposition in that time frame.

2009: Croatia 5-1 World Cup Qualifyer
    2010: Switzerland away 3-1 Euro Qualifyer
    2011: Spain 1-0 Friendly
    2012: Sweden 3-2 Euro 2012
    2013: Brazil 2-1 Friendly
    2013: Poland 2-0 World Cup Qualifyer
    2014: Switzerland away 2-0 Euro Qualifyer
    2015: France 2-0 Friendly
    2016: Germany 3-2 away Friendly
    2016: Scotland 3-0 World Cup Qualifyer
    2018: Sweden 2-0 World Cup Quarterfinals

12. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I remember that game well against Croatia. Scholesy was at the heart of it all . Its unbelievable to this day that a lot of English people don't realise how good he actually was.

The chelsea midfielder kovavic says that scholes is the one player he watches to learn how to improve himself as a midfielder player .

Gordon Strachan say scholes had the best vision and one touch play of any footballer he had ever seen.

It makes me question southgates knowlegde of the game when he didn't mention Scholes when he was looking for the type of midfielder that England need to compete with the best.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought Scholes had quit international football way before that

Placid Casual repped this.
  14. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Next month’s squad will be interesting. If Alli and Lingard are fit, they’ll surely make it. Will Alli get in the first XI though?

Perhaps, Mount will drop back down to the under 21s. Or he may just name a bigger squad.

15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I think Mount will drop back down. If Barkley and Winks are healthy then they should be our starters in midfield along with Dier. Perhaps Alli will compete with Barkley, but Winks should be nailed on. I fear that Southgate will select Henderson over Winks despite everything he did against Spain. Hopefully that's an awakening for Gareth.

Also as long as he continues to be a decent super sub for Dortmund then Sancho should keep getting call ups. Lets say we have some more injuries then Mount should stay or Foden be brought up.

16. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Yeah. I’m also not concerned about Mount, Foden or Sessegnon staying with the under 21s.

Sancho and Maddison are in a different situation though, as they’re creating chances or scoring in a top league.

The USA game is the perfect time to play Sancho, Maddison, TAA etc as a) we have nothing to lose and b) we won’t play another friendly for a while. I think Southgate will use it as a chance to experiment.

17. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Scholes retired from international football in 2004.

Placid Casual repped this.
  18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Well sure, but the positions he was taking up in his living room were key to the win.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can I just make the point, (which is obvious anyway but is worth stating), that they should be the starters based on that performance in an England shirt.

I'm just a bit bothered we're setting up another couple of fellas who will have a bad game at some point only to then hammer them if their level drops off.

Other than that, yeah... I agree :)

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nobody likes a smartarse, CS :D

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You are a liar.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8244218.stm

England: Green, Johnson, Terry, Upson, Ashley Cole, Lennon (Beckham 80), Barry, Lampard, Gerrard (Milner 81), Rooney, Heskey (Defoe 60).
    Subs Not Used: Foster, Brown, Bridge, Crouch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7602774.stm

England: James, Brown, Terry (Upson 88), Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Walcott (Beckham 84), Lampard, Barry, Joe Cole (Jenas 55), Rooney, Heskey.
    Subs Not Used: Robinson, Johnson, Downing, Defoe.

22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That implies an intention to deceive. He could just be mistaken.
    Quite!

24. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Those three played really well and offer a very good balance.

To my mind, in midfield the personnel are less important than complimentary skill sets - the change was not necessarily down to the players being better, but the shape. Dier + Henderson are duplicates IMO - both break up play, are positionally sound, and provide a platform for more creative players. The problem is redundancy - play both and when they take the ball deep, one option forward has been removed hence the general opinion that both only pass sideways or backwards.

I'm much more of a fan of a single defensive player in midfield, flanked by two midfielders with a forward mentality. It worked nicely the other night because the two offered different things. Winks was generally quite tight to Dier but 5-10 yards up the pitch, playing a transitional role - give Dier (or any of the back 4 on the ball) a more forward option, and turn the ball on quickly. Barkley did come deep a fair bit, but his starting position was again that little bit further up with more of an emphasis on linking with the front players.

(In short, instead of the 2-1 midfield of Dier, Henderson + a.n.other, or the World cup 1-2 of Dier, Alli + Lingard, a midfield 3 with 3 distinct tiers of holding, transitional, attacking).

Depth is good for the attacking and holding roles. Alli, Barkley, Lingard, Lallana, or the new kids coming through like Morrison, Foden, Mount. 7 good players for 1 position, 7!!! Defensively Dier and Henderson the obvious choices, but Chalobah could be another option (as could Stones if he gets more experience at City in the role, given their lack of natural cover for Fernandinho and their depth at CB). Beyond Winks though, more of a worry - other than Lewis Cook (who I think is a very tidy player, like him a lot), struggling to see too many genuine two-way players who like to take care of the ball, comfortable in possession.

W.A.S.P. and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  25. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    When it is stated "I remember well".......

Still trying to work out why an Irishman is so obsessed with the England team. If i was it, I would be more worried about their own.

MrSnrub repped this.