England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #1076 MrSnrub, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    So to be clear here:

Youngest English team this century
    Only player over 25 is Trippier
    Away to Spain who haven't lose at home for 15 years
    Spain also are undefeated going back to Euro 2016 in general (only loss on penalties)
    England score 3

But Southgate's the mug who should have done better? You'd be creaming yourself right now if England had employed someone fashionable who was doing the exact same job. England actually beating arguably the best team in the world away with one of their youngest sides ever and you complain that they were too defensive second half? Nevermind the fact that they were obviously nervous and playing a Spain team with huge big game experience throughout the eleven, something England do not have. Better teams than England would have done much worse than England did tonight, I promise you that.

This mentality is pathetic. It's not about wanting England to be better, its that you don't like Southgate and will refuse to ever admit anything he does is ok. Either that or you're expecting England to beat a team NO ONE beats away, but not just beat them, beat them comfortably and dominate the game in Spain - something literally no one has done in over a footballling generation.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have to say, when you read that we were being outplayed in the 2nd half, you have to point out... it's Spain... they're at home... they're LOSING... it's a competitive match.

What did people THINK was going to happen?!

'Oh we should have played this bloke... we should have played that guy... we should have dug up the late Bobby Moore and played him in the 60th minutes'. Yeah, OK! Whatever! But who's to say changing the side that was generally holding up OK wouldn't have done WORSE than the ones we had out there. Anyway, Moore's midfield mobility has suffered significantly since he, y'know... died.

Same with Croatia. They DID just play a WC final. They're not TOTAL mugs and we generally outplayed them.

W.A.S.P., Steve Page and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The bad game management has been called out..
    Its a cardinal sin to make defensive moves when the other team has a high defensive line.

But Spain have a crazy competitive record at home..
    I have gone through their records and couldnt find the last home competitive game they lost...
    insane record !!

4. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have full respect for what Southgate did this summer in changing our mentality And making us competitive in a tournament again don’t get me wrong.

The first half today was brilliant and I think Southgate set us up brilliantly, however he makes odd choices and I think it was clear we needed a change in attack. You’re right Spain were always going to come back at us but it was for 35 minutes without us stringing 5 passes together and I’m disappointed that he couldn’t see we needed a change sooner. I feel we were lucky to not concede a couple more but as it is we held out. It’s a great win of course and I’m pleased, still think Spain will batter Croatia though but at least we should stay in the top league.

The other night was more annoying, not making a change until 75th minute could have cost us a place in the last 4 next summer. Anyway there should be chances next international break with a friendly

5. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    See, England survived without Henderson, against a much stronger team than Croatia. So yes, Southgate was right to be bold and not to call up Livermore to partner Dier.

6. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #1081 MrSnrub, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    No one ever claimed otherwise.

The posts were in response to the absurd overreaction to the good midfield performance on friday for which England were getting pelters on here. No one ever said Winks should never ever play, I merely disagree with how good people paint him to be, and indeed today the much maligned Dier was England's best midfielder....again.

7. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dier was good today. I thought Henderson was decent in the World Cup, my only gripe is if they both play, really we need one of them with two mobile technical players who can pass. Winks isn’t amazing but he was decent tonight and can be a decent player

8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    brilliant lol

W.A.S.P., bluejon, The Potter and 2 others repped this.
  9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, brilliant goal, could watch it over and over tbh and not just because Sterling scored it...... well actually it does provide the icing on the cake.

10. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I'm new to the forum.But after reading all the bizarre comments about Southgate.I'd just like to point out Spain smashed Croatia by 6 and smashed Wales 4-1,haven't lost a game at home in 15 years.

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    What a great display. A real gutsy brave performance. Really proud of the team. Really nice for Rashford and Sterling to get the goals too.

Winks' ability to play on the turn and move away from the pressure when on the ball was a real key asset that we have lacked in previous games. It opens our passing game up so much more. We were also at times able to beat their central pressing high up, which has been a monumental struggle in the past.

I have moaned about Southgate's subs in previous matches but I thought he was fine today. We were getting tired and needed bodies deeper in the pitch. Felt a bit redundant replacing attacking options when we were struggling and getting deeply entrenched.

I liked the balance of this team before the game. Moreso than any starting XI since Hodgson's Euro qualifiers. Lets hope we build on this.

W.A.S.P., Jenks and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  12. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Really enjoyed that, one of the pundits said it at the end, but it felt like a high level CL game. I think we can also put to bed the whole 'Southgate doesn't like Barkley..' nonsense.

Still work to be done on what the right subs are to shut a game down and how to relieve the pressure when it's inevitable the other side will put the pressure on. Difficult tonight with the young bench though. Didn't particularly like the switch to a back 3, but I can't say i'm sure what change I would've made. Would've been a hell of a test for Sancho or Maddison to start tracking the fullbacks. I thought Rashford was gassed but then he won some valuable time with some late bursts that we might not have gotten from a sub. A work in progress and I think Southgate will learn from it, just like he learnt from the WC and found tonight's system.

Don't think anyone was bad. I think he was pretty much fine after the opening ten tonight, but Maguire looks like he can be targeted and exposed. Brilliant by Chillwell, especially when you consider how much bigger that game was than any he's ever played. The only one that's on par was v Atletico in 16/17, which he also took to really well.

Guess Rashford may be international quality after that performance..

W.A.S.P. and Jenks repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So happy for heem

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I liked that point too. It's been the best Nations League game by far for me. That type of experience is so important for this young team. You barely get that many pressure games against high quality opposition in international football. Shows a positive of this format.

15. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I think we should put minor grumbles aside. That’s two class performances against top 10 teams. If you can’t see that we’re making progress then you must be mad.

We’re a young team, adapting to a new formation and a manager who’s learning all the time.

And by the way, nobody beats Spain at home... except England!

PS- absolutely delighted for Sterling.

W.A.S.P. and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  16. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think I was annoyed mainly because we were so dangerous in the first half and offered nothing in the second. Looking at Spain’s home record that’s some feat we just managed.

I hope Sterling has some confidence now he’s got that goal drought over and done with.. it’s crazy to think how much depth we could have when Sancho, CHO, Sessegnon etc mature

17. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I can't think of a better away win since the 5-1 against germany in 2001?

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    In some ways, I think I enjoyed this one more tbh just because I no way expected it unlike the Germany game when I thought we had a very good chance plus that first half was outstanding counter attacking football and just to add that Spain haven’t lost a competitive game at home for 15 years is sweet.

19. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Yes this result did sort of come out of no where.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  21. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    but mostly we can put to bed the Dier / Henderson is the only realistic CM pairing nonsense. Southgate 11 showed that he learned from his past mistakes, which is great.

22. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    at the world cup we could have done with squad options like winks and Barkley..
    instead of wasting selections on the likes of Jones and Welbeck .

sharpovic repped this.
  23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Dier had a good game, and nobody here ever said he shouldn't play

24. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Sure, we can put that thing that no one has said to bed.

25. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    mhh, this endless debate about Dier / Henderson in midfield being the right choice was all in my head then. Fair enough.
    1050802573073154049 is not a valid tweet id

TopBanana10 repped this.