England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Surely by that logic though you'd never play anyone decent or fancied in the run up to a tournament ever. There's always a possibility of meeting any and every big boy side if you have aspirations to go all the way in a tournament.

However, if not those three then maybe Belgium. Also, I'd still say it's better preparation to play Spain or the Netherlands again than Denmark. You can never be tested too much imo and I feel we'd still learn more from playing either of those two again than a side like Denmark where let's be honest, we should come through relatively unscathed as long as we turn up and do a professional job.

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'd like to play the Welsh, to wipe that smugness off them. Their youngsters aren't a patch on ours, they talk like they're some big European superpower

3. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    A Roverman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walked into a bar...

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  4. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Know anyone can have a bad game, but I've had it now with Rice after that performance. He's genuinely infuriating when in possession, so many occasions when he has space to turn, drive forward, pick out a forward pass etc and he just picks the easy option every time. More worryingly though, is the defensive mistakes. I could accept him being a limited footballer if he was immaculate defensively in that role, but he isn't. He didn't track Martinelli for the first Arsenal goal and has been at fault for goals in an England shirt before including examples at corners etc. I'd honestly much rather take Dier as whilst he may not be amazing on the ball either, he at least has tournament experience in addition to experience at the top level and I also feel he's better defensively. Southgate is unlikely to drop Rice from the squad altogether now at this stage but if it was up to me I'd have Henderson, Winks and Dier as the defensive midfield options. If people deem Henderson not a defensive midfield option then make that Delph, Dier and Winks.

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’d go Henderson , Winks and Delph for midfield/ holding role .. leaving space for Grealish , Maddison and Mount for midfield / creativity / the hole

roverman and ht_hu96 repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rice should be playing cb not dm

7. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I never saw the hype with Rice. He is just a bang average cdm with no goals or assists and no great technical ability

8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Guess we’d all looked at Dier and thought omfg ;)

9. omaro

omaro Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    agree with the idea of dropping Wilson since they're some better options upfront than him, he's not even better than Solanke, nor Abraham.. i still would love to re-call Vardy to the team.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    With the system we play, Wilson would just be a wasted pick imo. We have Kane and Abraham ahead of him, plus we have Rashford who will probably be picked as a wide attacking player but can cover a striker position also, hell even Sterling can cover as a false nine if desperate, so just don’t see the point of picking Wilson as well when we only play one out and out striker. Better off picking another midfield player like Grealish who can cover wide left also if needed.

omaro and roverman repped this.
  11. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Re the Dele Alli debate, and how he fits into a 4-3-3...

It's what we're playing at Spurs, and it's getting the best out of him. A lot of pundits and graphics have Spurs playing a 4-2-3-1 with Dele as the No.10, but it's slightly disingenuous to say we're playing a double pivot in front of the back 4, we're not. There is a single player deep as a defensive shield (Dier OR Winks), and another midfielder to his right (Winks, Sissoko or Ndombele), with Dele playing an advanced left sided midfield role - as an example, when he played the ball to Son from on his backside against West Ham, it was not a coincidence that he did that from the left touchline.

The right sided midfielder has a more disciplined, high energy role; having a player of this type provides a right-sided defensive shield able to drop in and cover, which is why Aurier has featured heavily as an attacking player. Contrast this with Dele's role - he has a license to get forward and get in close contact with Son (wide left), Kane (CF) and occasionally beyond them (e.g. a 4yd tap in in the Champions League vs Olympiakos). It's also why the left back role is more suited to Jan Vertonghen or Ben Davies than it is Danny Rose or Ryan Sessegnon because adding that forward license loses the defensive stability from that side of midfield.

Now think about Henderson's role on the right of a 3 for England (or indeed for Liverpool, with Wijnaldum on the left of Fabinho far more likely to be found up with the front 3 in and around the box). The vacant "left of the midfield 3" role is perfect for any of Dele, Maddison, Grealish, Mount, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley, Lingard, because it combines the attributes needed for a more traditional centre-midfielder and a pure No.10.

wellno, Rabbi Keane and roverman repped this.
  12. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Thought Gomez did well when he came on and has been slowly getting better over the last month. He really does just need a run of games which is why it's so frustrating. When he is in top form, it's not even a debate for me as to whether it should be him or Stones alongside Maguire.

13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hard to keep Sancho at Dortmund much longer another goal and assist today. His firm lately has been phenomenal

14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Odoi has been so disappointing since his injury. Keeps giving the ball away

15. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He needs some game time I think, yeah he has looked a bit disappointing but he’ll come good. He is a top talent and has potential to be like Sancho.

Sam1010 and roverman repped this.
  16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, he definitely needs a run of games to try and get his form back but on current form, I find it hard to justify his selection in the next Squad over other options like Harvey Barnes for example who is just in much better form. Luckily for CHO he has quite a lot of time to get his mojo back since the next fixture isn’t until March.

17. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    In fairness to CHO, lots of the Chelsea fans seemed to mainly be complaining about him trying to do too much. However, I can understand him wanting to take people on, take risks, try and make things happen in order to impress given his situation. Obviously it didn't suit Chelsea and was the wrong thing to do in the context of the game, but I can understand and support him wanting to impress, he just needs to learn when to keep it simple and when to take risks. However, I'm only going on what I've heard from Chelsea fans, I didn't watch it.

18. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On the other hand Sancho was good again. Seems to have picked up again

19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Just in time for the January window :)

20. omaro

omaro Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    agree with you.. but also if you need him, he's gonna be fit for the 4-3-3 and play next to Kane and Sterling...for example as a backup for Rashford

21. omaro

omaro Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    No prob mate

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Foden taking his opportunity ??

No .. totally ineffective

23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    He has been by very far the best player on the pitch, impressive

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Maybe he’s picked up .. it is a nothing game plus the other team are sitting back ..

25. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    point is he was miles better than any other city player. Besides he would be better if the other team didn't sit back