England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    We played a 4-2-3-1 against Czech to make us more solid as the formation does. Southgate admitted it was his mistake himself in his interview after the game, he switched it at half time to the 4-3-3.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50023342

2. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Ok. Well it certainly didn't make us more solid, it was every bit as erratic and disjointed as against Kossovo at home. Which is the direct result of having two central midfielders who can't progress with the ball.

3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It didn’t and I agree with that idea but also Mount wasn’t good enough as the 10. I did wonder if he’d try a Rice-Winks-Maddison 4-2-3-1 against Kosovo to try a bit of a plan B but it’s looking like 4-3-3 or bust for us.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  5. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    Well that’s the end of young English players at spurs then..

6. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Not sure if you’re kidding or not.

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Was David gold right to slam Keane's remarks regarding Declan rice? He thinks it's sour grapes over rice choosing England over Ireland

8. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Can probably kiss goodbye to Sessegnon getting any opportunities now Mourinho has gone to Spurs. I also reckon he'll marginalise Winks as he doesn't fit his Neanderthal philosophy. Hope I'm wrong, but just have a bad feeling.

thebigman repped this.
  9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Harry kane's goal scoring will dry up even more
    Probably play him on the wing

ht_hu96 repped this.
  10. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Anyone on here know more on Kalvin Phillips btw? What are their thoughts? Will he be able to step up and come under consideration one day?

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mourinho is washed

bad move all round imo

12. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    he’s the exact type of player we need in that midfield, good defensively and winning tackles, good range of passing , covers a lot of distance, very good at set pieces. The only thing holding him back is playing in the championship, but I think he’ll be playing in the PL next season whether it is with Leeds or some other team if Leeds don’t go up. I think he’s good enough, also think Ben White is a potential future CB too

Sam1010, hussar and ht_hu96 repped this.
  13. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    If I was Southgate, I would of been tempted to invite him alongside side the squad, just to gage his personality and see him in practice sessions.

14. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's got a lot of potential to play as the 6 in a 4-3-3 like we are playing at the moment. He's all energy with good defensive stats and a decent passer, plays a lot of long passes too. Style wise he fits the role better than Winks and Rice. I'd be happy if United were in for him.

Yeah, doesn't look good for Winks there. Mourinho will replace him with Dier, a player he wanted at United.

15. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I wanted to write the same: Phillips should be in the squad in a year or two, also Ben White could be the defender England badly need, he is so much better than the likes of Keane now, and could be even better.

Ste walker repped this.
  16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Phillips is like Grealish in the past. Only thing stopping him from being in and around the squad is the arbitrary barrier we put between the 20th + 21st etc clubs in terms of international selection.

If they go up, he'll instantly be contention next September, despite no real football passing between the Euros and the new season.

I think Jose might be good for England tbh. Mainly because the most impactful player coming back into contention would be Dier and Jose likes Dier. Short term it may not be good for Skipp, but it's not like that's any different to Poch's reign.

17. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I do think it'll be good for Dier but tbh I'd much rather Winks got played at the expense of Dier. If we're talking DM's then we effectively already have a defensively strong but limited player football wise in the shape of Rice. Winks on the other hand, we don't really have any alternative option in his mould for the pivot position. Obviously, if Dier is made a CB by Mourinho and excels there, then it could be a different story.

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Why would/did Jose choose Spurs !?!

Jose demands top dollar as do his whole backroom team plus he will want about £200 million to spend !!

Spurs and Daniel Levy are the tightest team around .. pay the worst wages , get people in as cheap as possible and sell players for massive amounts !!

It’s just not a match

19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's down on his luck. Tactically a man out of his time and seeking to regain some credibility in his floundering managerial career.

He didn't have any other better offers basically.

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Dier at his best was better defensively and with his passing than Rice. I don't think he's perfect, but would like to see him given one last chance to look like a footballer again.

ChristianSur repped this.
  21. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Winks is in trouble IMO, can't remember Mourinho ever playing with a deep lying technical midfielder. Bad news for England

roverman repped this.
  22. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I suppose you could say Alonso at Madrid but other than that no. However was Alonso even a prominent figure under him?

23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    besides Alonso was already a confirmed top class player, while Winks is still on the rise

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The first thing Sessegnon and Skipp should be doing is getting on the phone to their agents and try and get moves away from the Club whether loans or permanent moves.

25. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Skipp arguably should've been doing that under Pochettino anyway. He has more international minutes than club minutes this season & he's not a starter there either.

brettspurs repped this.