England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Man, it is just so petty. :D

2. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I'd start both of them against Kosovo. With a bit of luck a good result will put the story to bed and it'll get lost in the wider story of qualifying for a major tournament.

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hopefully an opportunity for odoi or even maddison playing in a front three

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I don't know, I've never grabbed someone by the throat at work, if I had I would've been sacked for gross misconduct.

5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Great thing from an England perspective is the amount of quality wide players odoi, sancho, sterling, rashford and possibly grealish. Even think maddison could do a job there. Not to mention barnes

6. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No one is excusing what he did or even Joe's part in this. Not sure where you work , who you work with and what industry you in but a sporting environment filled with testosterone is one of the biggest areas losing your emotion on instinct can happen.

This built up after the previous evening didn't it. Maybe a bit of trust from the English set-up in them being adults was too much but possibly it could have been nipped in the bud before it even got to what happened.

7. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah. That is how we got to look at it positively. Opportunity for another talented young player to hopefully impress.

roverman repped this.
  8. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Gomez's 'injury' from the Sterling incident

EJK3p8dWkAAfG1t.jpg

9. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    This type of thing goes on all time at club level. Hopeful its over and done with between the two of them. But the press are going to have a field day.

10. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    This happens in football but it's generally dealth with internally

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yep! My fear is it’s given the green light to The Sun, Daily Mail etc to have another round at hounding Sterling and targeting his private life!

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Alan Brazil this morning told of his time with Scotland ..

Apparently they always split into three sections in the living quarters and dining rooms .... the manager/backroom staff , the home based players and then the players who were based /playing in England or wherever ..

13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Yes all the home based Scotland players used to call the England based players Anglos.

14. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    If its on the training ground or the pitch but this was in the canteen. One of the best things about Southgate has been his ability to unite the squad and Sterling kicking off like this threatens that. Sterling has shown maturity and repentance in his actions since so lets stop flapping about how Southgate has handled it and move on.

15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    This was their best side ever that was fancied as a dark horse at World Cup 82 wasn't it? Ended up messing it up and going out at the group stages.

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We dont want sterling calling time early on his England career because of the scumbag press

17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Thought that was 1978

18. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Looks like they messed them both up actually.

roverman repped this.
  19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I would go with pickford, arnold, maguire, mings, chillwell, winks, maddison, Henderson, kane, sancho, rashford

20. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Yes. Alan Hansen only got 26 caps, probably because he played in England.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wasn’t 82 a weird set up though? Didn’t they get knocked out in some kind of second group stage? Got knocked out without losing a game. Won 3 games and drew 2, I think.

22. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Knocked out in the first group stage on GD 1 win, 1 draw, 1 defeat.

You're remembering England there, won all 3 first group games, knocking out France but then drew both 2nd group stage games against West Germany and Spain. Ended up finishing 2nd and going out because West Germany beat Spain.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, sorry forgot you were talking about Scotland, lol.

24. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018

According to this Sterling was as good as gone. But the senior players stepped in.

25. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Southgate has shown by his actions that he treats everyone in the squad the same way, and if there was any doubt the players know that now. But if Sterling did throw his dummy out over this and quit then that would be a shame but so be it.