England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I think Southgate will recall Stones and Alli this week and deservedly so.

2. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    I know he probably doesn’t fit the profile of players we want now and also he shouldn’t have retired in the first place, but vardy is the best/in form striker in the league right now and would be very useful for us

3. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I wouldn't have him ahead of Kane or Abraham but he offers more than Wilson.

4. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Maguire and Stones are still the first choice for me. Over 60 caps between them. Gomez and Tomori could do with a run out against Kosovo though as it's a good chance to experiment.

I'd also like to see Dean Henderson, Maddison, Grealish and Abraham get decent minutes.

5. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Deservedly so???????? What?????!!!!! Alli was absolutely abysmal last week in a match which was an actual test against good opposition, suddenly scores one goal against one of the most out of form sides in the league and suddenly he should be recalled? Do me a favour, Mount, Maddison, Grealish(if fit) and AOC should all be ahead of him on merit. Even Barkley, who's inclusion I've questioned has offered far more and had much more of an impact for England than Alli ever has. I'm happy he did score and hopefully this can be a start for him, but he needs to do a lot more before he should be considered over those 4 aforementioned players. For now, I still wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

As for Stones, I haven't seen much of him recently but again I don't see the fuss. His case for selection is stronger than Alli's but that is more down to our lack of options in his position rather than him putting in fantastic, consistent performances every week. I think a lot of people seem to like Stones and rate him just because of his technical ability and the fact he was signed by Pep. However, he consistently makes poor errors on the ball in addition to a host of defensive mistakes such as against Norwich earlier in the season and even against Villa last week. The fact he's not really kicked on in the last 3 years despite being part of arguably the best side the pl has seen and being managed by arguably the worlds finest manager makes me question whether he will ever improve to the level of a top class defender that is dependable on the biggest stage and in the biggest games.

6. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    As for this argument for choosing players based on caps, we may as well just ask Terry, Ferdinand to come out of retirement then. In all seriousness, if this is something that is that important, I feel Walker is the one we should recall out of all of the recently dropped players. He is dependable, fits the philosophy, is a good character and is also in reasonable form. Aside from the fact Alli in particular still hasn't done much this season, he's also a bit of an idiot. Given one of the supposed biggest reasons Maddison gets overlooked is because of his character/attitude, it would be a bit hypocritical of Southgate to now pick and play Alli for that reason alone.

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I do. Despite all his flaws and his dip in form he is still the best English defender by far. Maguire is a much more limited player, and the others are years away from being first choice defenders: Gomez is clearly behind, Tomori has to learn a lot, Mings also not as technical as Stones etc.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  8. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Alli was back to playing as a wide forward today, which is probably a large part of why he did ok. He's yet to show that he can play as a more conventional midfielder at the top level. It probably makes more sense for England to consider him accordingly - as competition for Sterling/Sancho/etc. rather than one for a midfield three.

Rabbi Keane and ht_hu96 repped this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maguire is good as a lcb in a back 3 but too slow in a high line 2

modern defenders don’t need to be big, fast and technical

atones is poor lately imo

The future is between Gomez, tomori, Mings and I think rice will be a cb

ht_hu96 repped this.
  10. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    This would be my choice:

Pickford
    Henderson
    Heaton/Pope
    Rose
    Chilwell
    Trippier/Walker
    TAA
    Stones
    Maguire
    Gomez
    Tomori
    Mings
    Rice
    Winks
    Henderson
    Barkley
    Grealish
    Maddison
    Alli
    Sterling
    Sancho
    Mount
    Rashford
    Kane
    Abraham

It's a 25 man squad. Leaving out Keane, Ox and Wilson. Maybe give Walker a chance?

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Great squad !!

Can’t see a flaw even though I’m not a great fan of Barkley these days ..

TopBanana10 repped this.
  12. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Neither am I but it's hard to argue with his recent England form. If I was to trim it to a 23 man squad, I'd take out Alli and Gomez or Mings.

I really rate Gomez but he's just not getting the minutes.

Gaz811 repped this.
  13. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Yeah that is a good squad tbf and one I wouldn't mind seeing, personally I'd still have AOC in place of Alli though for the moment even if he doesn't play as much football. I just feel he's been more impressive/convincing recently. Having said that it would be one of those two that I'd cut from the squad once it goes down from 25 as well. I don't like or rate Rose atm but unfortunately I agree he needs to be in just due to the lack of other options there. Hopefully, Sessegnon can somehow take a big step forward this season as a LB having come on yesterday, though I'm definitely not counting on it.

14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I had such high hopes for Barkleyin his early Everton days as well but...

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Mount gone off injured

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Both Mount and Sancho went off injured. Hope it’s nothing to much to worry about but not sure they will make the Squad this week. Sancho looked like he had pulled something but could be wrong.

17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Personally would start rashford anyway. Probably call up odoi if sancho is out

ht_hu96 repped this.
  18. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Is Barkley injured or not btw? If he isn't then I can't see Southgate dropping him despite his lack of games as he has delivered tbf to him in an England shirt and recently for that matter. Given Southgate has up to now gone with 3 attack minded midfielders in his squads, that would mean there's only one other spot assuming Barkley and Maddison are both selected. As I've said before, I'd much rather that went to the Ox over Alli assuming Grealish is injured, if Grealish isn't then he should get the nod based o what he brings and his form over the whole season so far. Unfortunately however, if Grealish is fit, I'll be staggered if Southgate doesn't pick at least one of AOC or Alli, which would mean no room for him. More worryingly though, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he calls up both of them and drops Maddison, even if it's totally undeserved.

19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    With the injury to Mount, there should be room for Maddison and Grealish. We really need to get a look at both.

roverman and Sam1010 repped this.
  20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Barkley is injured.

ht_hu96 repped this.
  21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think at this point Oxlade-Chamberlain probably fully deserves his place in the squad. He's been in sensational form for Liverpool.

roverman repped this.
  22. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Going forward Reece James will be an interesting one. Despite all the competition at right back, he's probably the most balanced out of all them. His crossing isn't far off Trent but he's a better defender. His main weakness is a lack of pace and struggles to recover when high up the pitch and the opposition get a break on.

23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    That's one area we are strong in.

24. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    May sound cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Liverpool players pull out of this squad given the way Klopp is moaning on.

25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Cant see it. Theres a tournament coming up and look how luke shaw has been snubbed since he pulled out

TopBanana10 repped this.