England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Southgate needs to call up Abraham and tomori before we lose them

2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tammy Abraham must get called up.

3. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    yeah he's miles ahead of them at the moment. Probably should be partnering Maguire in defence or am I jumping the gun a little because he's flavour of the month?

roverman repped this.
  4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Abraham will get called up but the Nigeria manager has said that both refused to even enter into talks with them despite the noises in the press.

roverman repped this.
  5. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    Sky are reporting Abraham and Tomori are in the squad.

roverman repped this.
  6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Tomori needs to play. Head and shoulders above anything we have right now on form

7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Wheres bissaka? Thought foden might get a call. Still its a strong squad though

9. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Bissaka has been ill recently. On form he's also not been as good as the other right backs this season regardless.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    More to the point, no Lingard or Alli. Lingard I just t can’t see it anymore with him but I still hold hope for Alli. I read an article the other day that suggested Alli might be left out as Southgate didn’t think he looked sharp enough. To be honest, that’s how I’ve thought for a while, he just seems to slow at the moment, maybe he’s always been slow but somehow it’s more noticeable now imo.

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    No Kyle Walker again. Find that very odd. I think I would have included CHO but maybe Chelsea want him to have the recovery break.

Good squad overall. Get to look at a few new options. Hopefully Southgate uses the overall squad a lot better this time.

12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Also no Ox.

13. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Let’s be honest... Ox, Alli and Lingard have done nothing of late to merit being in the squad. No complaints from me on this squad.

W.A.S.P. and David Hurford repped this.
  14. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Props to Southgate on this. First time in a long time I can say I'm basically 100% happy with the squad selection. One thing I would say mind is that I am surprised he's dropped Lingard before Barkley. Whilst I still think Barkley has more talent, he has genuinely done nothing at either club or international level and you can count on one hand the amount of occasions he has genuinely impressed in his whole career. Whereas at least Lingard has performed well for England. As for the other omissions, I think AWB has been injured and is up against tough competition from a back in form Trippier, whilst I am glad CHO has been left out as he has had a nasty injury and his recovery needs to be managed carefully.

One thing that does slightly worry me is our forwards bar Sterling getting potentially burnt out this season. I feel Solksjaer likes Rashford almost too much and has kept playing him even during knocks and niggly injuries whilst I've also heard some Dortmund fans saying Sancho could do with a rest. Obviously it's a somewhat first world problem and is far better than players being at the other end of the scale like Foden. However, I just hope that, particularly Rashford, gets some chance to recharge at some stage of the season to keep him fresh and ready to go for the summer.

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Barkley has done alright for england

16. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Glad he has not picked Ali because over the last year or so he seems to have lost his way as a football player.

David Hurford repped this.
  17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    There are a few players; Henderson, Shaw, AWB, Stones, Foden, Grealish and CHO that are either an injury or run of games away from being involved.

The November games should allow for even greater experimentation.

18. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Ppl keep saying that about Barkley but he played well against Spain Croatia and Montenegro.

19. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Agree with all but Foden, sadly think it's gonna be a long time before he's involved due to how unlikely it is he'll get any sort of run/momentum going this season.

20. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Any spurs fans know what's happened to Sessegnon btw? I know he got exposed a bit last seaon at Fulham but I thought Poch would be good for him. Seems to be nowhere to be seen atm.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah I agree. He has his faults, but his recent performances for England have earned him the spot over Lingard.

W.A.S.P., sharpovic and David Hurford repped this.
  23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    An eleven of players not selected one way or another

Henderson
    AWB
    Stones
    Holding
    Shaw
    Alli
    Grealish
    RLC
    CHO
    Vardy ( retired I know but could return )
    Foden

Not really in position order but not a bad eleven left out of the Squad which shows for once a decent depth. Couldn’t have said that a few years ago.

Gaz811 and RobTheFool repped this.
  24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Have to say I'm pleased with the squad overall. Delighted that Abraham and Tomori are in there, and I'll be even happier when they've got a cap and we can move the conversation on. Walker's omission is slightly perplexing, but Southgate did say that he left Walker out last time essentially because Walker had nothing to prove, so perhaps that still stands.

The one guy I'm not a big fan of is Pope, but only Ramsdale of the younger keepers is making a strong case, and I'd rather see him left with the under-21s.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rashford should not be in there Barkley or Delph or Keane imo