England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Kane is 26. Lewondovski is 31.

2. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #5352 TopBanana10, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    It doesn’t help Kane that Son and Moura are heads down, can I get a shot away players. He’d be much better off at Man City or Madrid.

What do people make of Alli’s chances of making this month’s squad?

3. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
  4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Greengrass isn’t even trying anymore.

5. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I like Foden but if anything he seems to have taken a step back with regards to gametime this season (what with De Bruyne missing large chunks of last season). When he's only getting bought on as a stoppage time sub even with De Bruyne missing when City leading against Dinamo Zagreb at home it doesn't exactly bode well for future game time. Very difficult to see him getting starts outside cup ties against lower league sides and dead rubbers. Makes it very difficult to pick him right now.

People will point to Hudson-Odoi but England actually have a lot of depth at central midfield right now even if none of them are exceptional.

6. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    If all of Alli, Barkley and Lingard somehow make the squad I'll actually lose my head. The worrying thing is though that Southgate has such a penchant for familiarity and conservatism that I don't think it's very unlikely. Tbh it may sound like a really unpopular opinion, but if Tomori does choose Nigeria, it may be a good thing in the long run. This is because with so many dual nationals coming through I feel it would teach Southgate a lesson and be an eye opener to start picking and integrating the in form, talented youngsters over some of the dead wood for once.

roverman repped this.
  7. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I'm a big fan of Tomori but he's started a grand total of 4 premier league games in his career. He is nowhere near the territory of being ignored. Suggesting Southgate deserves to be taught a lesson for not picking every single dual national player the second they play a couple of good games as consistently happens on here is farcical.

I mean the fact you are knocking Southgate and saying he needs an eye opener to start picking and integrating youngsters is beyond ridiculous if you look at his record as England manager. Some people on here would have us fielding a new 11 each game with different dual nationals due to this bizarre obsession with losing them when there's absolutely zero indication of that in most cases.

itfcjoe, W.A.S.P., hussar and 1 other person repped this.
  8. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I think another key is that the situations were different. Even though CHO got a lack of minutes last season, he made no secret of his desire to develop and play, using the Bayern saga to back Chelsea into a corner of sorts. As a result, he's now got his reward and I feel his attitude has been much better than Foden's who honestly just gives off the demeanour of a kid waking up on christmas day. I almost get the impression he just seems happy to be there and feels like he's made it already. Whereas CHO has shown from day 1 that he doesn't just want to be another kid that signs a contract and disappears, he actually wants to become a top player. I feel Southgate may have felt this way about it as well.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  9. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I don’t think all three of Barkley, Alli and Lingard will make the squad (I hope not anyway.)

Abraham deserves a call up regardless of all this unnecessary noise about his dual status. I’d wait a bit longer on Tomori.

I also agree with what another poster said about resting Rashford and TAA.

Hudson Odoi might be worth considering because otherwise we’d only have Sterling and Sancho as bona fide wide players.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I missed the first 20-25 mins but, from what I saw, he wasn't at his best and lost the ball quite a few times. TBF the ref was allowing BM to make some pretty rough tackles and seemed a bit of an 'anti-homer', (if that makes sense). IOW he seemed to be giving them calls he didn't give sperz, the home side.

11. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Ok maybe Tomori is a bad example given his lack of top flight experience. On reflection it would be unlucky if we lost him given for the reasons you mention.

However, I stand by my original point about the fact that some players have deserved a lot more game time than they've currently got. I'll come back to AWB and Maddison as the two better examples yet again. Even though I'm really happy he's rediscovered his form now, Trippier was largely woeful last season and by June especially, didn't deserve to be picked over AWB. As for Maddison, how he's not had a single minute in an England senior shirt yet is a farce, given the poor form, indifferent performances and Lingard aside, poor record in an England shirt that his rivals for that spot have showed.

I don't feel it's out of order to want a player who will improve the squad to replace someone who's not delivering or doesn't deserve to be there. As for Southgate's record, yes it's great, however we have still failed when it's mattered and been shown up against the top table sides. Also, we have the best group of players now that we've had since the golden generation. The real examination for Southgate is the euro's as we should have a good chance, until then I feel we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves with praising him.

12. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I would say Kane is worth about £150m in the current market. Lewandowski would be worth significantly less than that, but only because of his age. He is the best #9 in the world right now though.

13. MUFC20

MUFC20 Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I only watched bits of the match but it seemed like he was consistently losing the ball. The tackles seemed good to me, Winks wasn’t able to turn and play the ball out of pressure

14. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I don't think you would know anything important about Winks after a match like that. Almost everyone in Spurs were atrocious yesterday.

Naughtius Maximus and TopBanana10 repped this.
  15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Will maddison be fit for the qualifiers?

16. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    Rodgers said he was close to being fit at the weekend so he should play this week.

roverman repped this.
  17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jovic? Maybe he could replace Suarez?

18. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Forgot about Jovic. Feel Barca might want a pacier player than Kane.

thebigman repped this.
  19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I've seen him play a LOT better than that.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kane would be perfect fo for their wide players and score a ton

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Wouldn’t want Kane anywhere near Barca ..

We need some truly top class players .. we’re currently struggling as we’re carrying Suarez , Roberto and Rakitic... that’s before we get to the disastrous defence .

We need PACE allied with skill ..

I’d rather take Son or Moura

22. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Chelsea's young players playing with so much tempo and confidence tonight. Hudson odoi with an assist for willian who has been sensational!

On a side note, I really hope Southgate is watching tomori tonight. Playing his best game so far in my eyes.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, Tomori has been a bit of a beast tbh and I think he will only get better. I personally think Southgate should get him in now, I think he’s already better than Keane and Mings tbh anyway.

24. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    #5374 sharpovic, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    When I said tomori could make the england squad this summer a few weeks ago before his debut for Chelsea I didn't think he would become that good that quickly. In spite of one mistake toward the end he looked unplayable tonight, excellent with the ball too with some brilliant long range passing

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008