England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I don't think there will be space for a 'wildcard' or Vardy.

Sancho, Rashford, Sterling + Kane guaranteed.

Bad news for others is that they're all so established and adaptable.

Wilson behind Kane + Rashford in terms of strikers, but still with a decent choice. Hudson-Odoi back this week. Wouldn't be shocked if Tammy was in the next squad, squad announcement just came a week early for him.

Very little room for fresh faces when you consider there are other players who are seen as being adaptable who are in contention like Alli, Lingard, Barkley, Ox, Mount + Maddison.

hussar repped this.
  2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think it's quite important that we involve Abraham sooner rather than later. There's no guarantee that Rashford will ever "click" as a top-class striker, nor that Wilson will pass muster at international level, so we really shouldn't turn our nose up at another young striker who could easily be our first reserve for years to come - potentially an important starter at times.

Vardy is a good player and might still have something to contribute, but he already knows the set-up. He already has experience and a relationship with Southgate. If we need to bring him in at short notice and he's willing, we can always do that.

And, yes, there are limited slots for forwards with Hudson-Odoi about to return, Mount playing for Chelsea as a wide forward, and so on. I can't see that there's room for Vardy right now.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That play doesn't happen 40 mins into the game... but 40 seconds? Yes... possibly. TBH it probably doesn't happen against a better side because they're expecting to be under pressure.

It happens... remember this?

Poor play but I'm not sure it tells us much other than some people need a kick up the arse early doors.

4. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I'm not gonna argue with that atall. Just want to get your opinion. If you pick a squad now for the tournament, would you take 4 strikers and one of them be vardy or do you take 3 and include Abraham?

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I remember that moment so vividly.. and Stuart Pearce of all people ..

I recall him being so aggressive and bullying yet the one time somebody stood up to him ( literally) .. he did nothing. !

Basil Boley headbutted Pyscho and Pearce didn’t react afterwards or even retaliate later on in the game ... I don’t even remember him ever talking about the incident..

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Assuming everyone's fit? I think three central strikers is probably enough if we're playing a 4-3-3. I'd expect the squad split to be something like 3 keepers, 7 defenders, 7 mids, and 6 forwards, with the forwards perhaps being Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Rashford, Hudson-Odoi, and one other CF - currently either Abraham or Wilson.

So no, I don't think I'd be including Vardy as it stands, but things can change over the course of a month, never mind the whole season.

7. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Merely pointing out if Lingard's goal hadn't been a milimetre offside no one would be holding that performance from the Dutch team as something to aspire too, such are the fine lines in football. It wasn't a masterclass by any means.

itfcjoe and TopBanana10 repped this.
  8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pearce was a genuine hard man. I don't EVER remember him bullying people. That wasn't his style.

As for the idea that was first time anybody had 'stood up to him'... sucker-punching him counts as that, does it? :D

Also he was in the same team as this guy back in the day...

British players, (where Pearce and Keane played their football), weren't exactly shrinking violets in the 80's and 90's, y'know.

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Pearce was famed for practically smashing fleet footed wingers up into the air - if that’s not bullying I don’t know what is .

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm guessing you never watched football in those days because he wasn't the only one... not by a LONG shot.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  11. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No he he wasnt. But I dont yearn for the days of those crunching tackles getting a yellow.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree... I'm just saying the idea Pearce was a bully who crumbled when one brave Frenchmen finally stood up to him :rolleyes: is total bullshit. He was sucker-punched by some pvssy-arsed twat who attacked him, more or less out of the blue.

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Who said he was the only one ?

You diss me unfairly then justify it with an irrelevance.

Try reading things in context

14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    ... and did he take him to task or confront him or even give him a sneaky whack ??

15. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I think if either Rashford or Kane was injured and going to miss the tournament I'd be looking to get Vardy back in the squad - whilst that may be unfair to Wilson, or Abraham the stakes are just too high.

Realistically he isn't going to be tempted back to be effectively a 3rd choice striker

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you'll find they played on opposite sides of the pitch, tbh, He mentioned it somewhere a few years afterwards. Not that it matters.

But none of that changes the fact that he wasn't a bully, he was a lunatic... different thing altogether :D

But, more to the point, the fact that you're attacking a beloved England player of the past shows how much of an England fan you are... answer: not much.

17. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think what it is Naughty, people slightly younger than elder statesman such as yourself remember Pearce as a caricature of himself. He played till he was nearly 40 iirc and did his reputation no favours as a manager, its unfair that people ridicule him for sticking David James upfront when Fergie did the same with Schemiecal but he was clearly a dinasour 2 minutes into the job and got gigs due to name recognition and an old boys network.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’ve never hidden my preference for skilful, attack minded players ..

Two of my all time players were unappreciated and then under used ..

Hoddle and then later on Le Tiss

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Mate, settle down. It's not like he lied to the queen.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I agree about that.

Pearce was a very good player who played in some of the best England sides to wear the shirt, including the 1990 side who were only knocked out of the WC by Germany. The idea he was simply a thug is a LONG way from the truth so for a supposed fan of England to go around saying he was a bully who crumbled the first time a brave Frenchman, (and if THAT isn't an oxymoron I'd like to know what is), is a little difficult to take.

What he was, as was said at the time, was a fan on the pitch... with all that implies.

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I was simply shocked to see Pearce a supposed hardman who used to smash players practically into the wall get butted and doesn’t say a word or anything..

Imagine how Duncan Ferguson would have reacted

22. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who cares. He hasn't played for England in 20 years.

roverman repped this.
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Smashed 'into the wall' LOL

Great stuff :)

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    England boss Gareth Southgate explains why Tottenham and Leicester stars Harry Winks and James Maddison were left out of Bulgaria and Kosovo games

“We had ambition to get more people into the games,” the Three Lions boss told talkSPORT’s Nigel Adderley.

“If you look at young players we’ve played [Declan] Rice, who is still in the very early stages of his international career, and [Jadon] Sancho and Trent [Alexander-Arnold] who only have a handful of caps, and then we got Mason [Mount] onto the pitch twice.

“But when the game goes 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, we can’t just be about giving everybody an opportunity.

“That’s tough on the guys who haven’t got on the pitch, but Tyrone Mings, Joe Gomez and Callum Wilson are all in the same position and our two other goalkeepers who have been brilliant all week are also in the same position.

“It’s a shame for those guys, but they just have to keep playing well for their clubs.”

https://talksport.com/football/6000...r-harry-winks-james-maddison-bulgaria-kosovo/

Marcho Gamgee and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I must admit I felt a bit unsure about changing too many things as we started to wobble a bit. I still think Barkley looked crocked though. He was almost walking just before he was taken off.