England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Oh my God please stop

dbs235 repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think we will lose maddison now, the same way we lost zaha.

3. Port Vale Fan

Port Vale Fan Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You sound like a spoilt brat. Every football game is different. There are multiple directions a game can go in - where's your criticism for Kane? He missed a penalty and you want to slate the manager and the midfield. It's not football manager or playstation, don't expect us to score double figures.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just finished watching the game, wow! What awful defending for all their goals, absolutely shocking, especially during the second half. Couldn’t believe how good we made Kosovo look at times, couldn’t get near them. Gomez should definitely be playing centre half even if he’s not starting all the time for Liverpool, it’s not even close that he’s better than Keane. Southgate and his substitutions..........baffling!

On a plus, the attack was devastating especially in the first half and we probably should really have had a hatful in the second half but just wasn’t to be after the interval.

Can’t get away from our defending though, we won’t be anywhere near contenders for the Euro’s if we can’t sort out our defending.

roverman repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Mate, seriously get a grip! Lol

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Gomez will massively improve our defence. Maguire was solid apart from that penalty which wasn't a penalty. Just the midfield was woefully short. We can destroy any team with our attack but defensively we will get exposed by far better teams than kosovo

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I know. I need to take a break. Just upset that we blew a lead when we should have kicked on

8. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Just playing devil’s advocate here. I can only think that;

a) Southgate wanted to see whether certain players coped when tiredness set in
    b) He’s saving his experimentation until qualification is assured
    c) Other players are carrying niggles that we don’t know about

Otherwise, I am completely lost as to how Gomez, Winks and Maddison played zero minutes. Am I missing something obvious?

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Maybe Gareth needs an old head to help him? Someone like Venables. His knowledge could be invaluable. I just don't think Southgate has any idea how to take the next step. I don't want him sacked but he needs to learn from his mistakes

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think we all need to calm down and remember we have scored 5 goals again. Kosovo will beat a lot of teams worse than us. We have virtually qualified which will give us time to look at different options. Maybe in a year's time someone like panzo will come through. I'm sure maddison will get his england chance at some point. There were a lot of positives like our devestating attack. Players like odoi and cheek to come back. Winks maddison and foden still young. Great options at fullback. Maybe even mason greenwood will get an opportunity. I still feel we are going in the right direction. Oh and I don't have a split personality

hussar repped this.
  11. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    has any team got a better front 3 than Sancho , kane and Sterling?
    just a shame Southgate doesnt arrange the middle 3 well .

W.A.S.P., RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    No. Our front 3 are unmatched. We are a well above average team. Just that midfield needs sorting. There are so many negative comments on the BBC hys. People can't wait to stick the boot in. Had we won 8-1 people would still criticize us. Maguire didn't put a foot wrong bar that penalty which wasn't one. Yet people call him. Trent and chillwell had good games. Rice did a decent job but had no creativity. Henderson was hardworking but had nothing going forward. Just wish he had brought maddison and winks on at halftime

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

The Potter repped this.
  14. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Anyone care to speculate on why Winks and Gomez weren’t involved?

15. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think quite a few teams could put out a front three just as devastating if not more so.

Dembélé/Griezmann/Mbappé

Ronaldo/Félix/Silva

Dybala/Aguero/Messi

Neymar/Firmino/Vinícius Jr

TitoTata and TopBanana10 repped this.
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Gomez because he’s not starting club games. Winks because he deems him too frail defensively.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  17. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Southgate has always liked athletic hardworking midfielders so this is the main reason for Rice over Winks IMO. Not one single minute for Winks is worrying though. Gomez hasn't played much for Liverpool, this is why he didn't play, but again that's a bit extreme from Southgate .

TopBanana10 repped this.
  18. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Wasn't he on the touchline when we beat Spain in Spain ?

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, don't think he wanted to see how they'd respond to tiredness. It might have been that he wanted to see how a particularly defensive setup would work against a side who likely wouldn't punish us even if it wasn't a great success.
    Possibly but even that assumes he thinks this was his best team when I doubt that's the case.
    Possibly... or some other reason behind the scenes like I said.
    Taking our either of Barkley or Rice for Winks was a change I'd have expected. Mount's played well in the start of this season for his club and he seems to be well regarded in the England setup but, as a more defensive MF, others seemed more suitable.

It is strange, I have to say.

But once we started coming under pressure I can see why he'd hesitate to make too many changes early on. Unfortunately he then left it too late which meant players were getting tired and started making more mistakes.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Winks started but only because Henderson was banned.

21. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I just find it hard to understand. I’m not saying they should have started both games but I don’t think we can afford to ignore Gomez and Winks when they’re fit.

Naughtius Maximus and roverman repped this.
  22. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I know, but the result should have convinced Southgate that Winks wasn't a liability defensively. + his quality on the ball alongside Barkley allowed us to breathe and not defend too deep

roverman and TopBanana10 repped this.
  23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    What I find odd about the Winks situation is that Southgate and Holland talked openly about how much they were anticipating his return. It seemed like they thought he was the key to how they wanted to play. I'd wonder if they were trying to get him on board with some tactical scheme before they threw him into matches, but it's not as if Rice has been with the squad for long himself. Can't quite figure it out.

Sam1010 and hussar repped this.
  24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Me neither. At first I thought they would play Rice against Bulgaria and then Winks against Kosovo. Then, that maybe Winks would come on at half time when we were 5-1 up. How wrong I was!

roverman repped this.
  25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Oh right sorry. I agree. Same with the talk from Steve Holland after the Holland game regarding Winks -

“He is a player that we have very much been waiting for in that kind of position,” said the assistant manager, Steve Holland. “Someone who is comfortable to turn and connect the play when we are working through the offensive phases. Quite simply, had he been fit and consistently playing for Tottenham, he would have been in the squad 100%. It is just a call we had to make. I am sure he will acquire many England caps in the future.”

They then don’t even give him a minute. Even when we were crying out for some presence on the ball to dictate the play in this game.

Almost all of Southgate’s teams have no way of calming/dictating the play or trying to kill a game. The only thing they can do is pass it around the back four, get the CM’s to pass backwards and pray the opposition don’t press us high up the pitch.

He’s saying after this game we passed the ball well but we had zero control of the game. It’s not as if any CM was terrible but as a collective they can’t be relied upon to play the ball forward without giving up possession. It’s such a disjointed set up if you are attempting to play the way he demands of his players.

sharpovic repped this.