England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    5 obvious contenders. Winks grealish Madison cheek foden. Build this team around them we will be a very good side

W.A.S.P., TitoTata and sinner78 repped this.
  2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    i said for ages that Pickford would be good in penalty shootouts..
    and had all the intangibles for international football despite having an average club record.
    Hart wouldnt make a save in a pen shootout if he faced 100 pens in a row.

roverman repped this.
  3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Does anyone get that Gareth bale vibe with taa? He has the potential to be one of those special players that could go all the way to the top in a year or two if he isn't already there

4. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #3979 MrSnrub, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Anyone who thinks Will Hughes and Jame Ward-Prowse are the standard of player to make England's midfield compete against the very best is so off base I don't even know where to start. Harry Winks may be many things but he's certainly not creative either.

Which leaves James Maddison, who only very recently actually started playing central midfield and even then has generally been shifted out left or as a number 10 much more often.

TotaalVoetbal and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Will Hughes is a lovely passer of the ball, the problem is that he just can't cover the ground the way Southgate would want him to. Foden should be in there too.

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’d love to see Maddison and Grealish play a few games together ..

7. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Well Bale started as a full back ... also TAA sees himself as a midfielder player eventually..

8. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    It probably won’t make the papers but the locals in Guimarães lined the streets to applaud the English and Swiss fans for their behaviour and custom. That’s the beauty of football.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Walker, dier, lingard, delph have no business starting for England at all

The midfield 3 is our biggest concern atm

We need some attacking threat and creativity

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just on the game today, the best players for us were Gomez and TAA imo. Didn’t really think Dier was as bad as some people made out to be honest but that’s just my opinion. Didn’t think in general the performance was that bad either. I mean if we had put our chances away, the feeling might be different and we missed quite a lot.

Anyone know if Rose picked up an injury? Just thought it was an odd substitution to make with a Walker coming only left back and then switching with TAA.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  11. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Yes theres no Headlines in well behaved fans.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    He very rarely is in my view.

13. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Lingard scores clutch goals..
    shame his goal was robbed by VAR .

I dont know how much value this tournament will have long term , but its a shame that Holland didnt take the final. Their fans seem like a good bunch who came in here and gave respects.
    Same cant be said of the Portugal support , who are mostly from Canada.

14. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, it's been far, far better than friendlies.

W.A.S.P. and TopBanana10 repped this.
  15. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    In my experience, the Portuguese fans have been knowledgeable and humble. The Dutch fans can get a bit arrogant, so I’m glad Portugal won. Most of the wanker England fans left a few days ago so the atmosphere was great and nice to exchange handshakes with the locals. Fabulous hosts.

I thought we played well today. Kept chipping away. Bear in mind it was energy sapping just to stand in that heat, never mind play - so we should forgive a little tiredness.

Pickford, TAA, Gomez, Maguire and Alli stood out for me.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1137751532517101571 is not a valid tweet id

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  17. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    Some people on here were saying that Walker should still be first choice before the two games.

I was unsure myself but after them I think TAA has come out of them in a much stronger position to stake a claim for first choice RB. Add the fact that he's nearly ten years younger and we're building for the future, I think he should be starting next season.

W.A.S.P., TitoTata and TopBanana10 repped this.
  18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, have to say that I’ve been a supporter of Walker but after these last two games I would say he’s definitely under pressure to keep the jersey from TAA. Walker is still in his prime though so he can come back from this but TAA is impressive and his influence from right back is Philip Lahm like. If he keeps going like this then I don’t think there’s much Walker can do anyway. Walker might get over taken by AWB also after this Summer.

hussar repped this.
  19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    TAA, Gomez and Pickford were outstanding.

I was also 50/50 over Walker and TAA before the Holland game. Clearly, we have to bear in mind the standard of opposition but the difference between Walker and TAA was marked. TAA adds a new dimension to our game.

Gomez must also be a starter when fit. Just so calm even in tricky situations. I still think Stones might win his place back, but from Maguire not Joe.

roverman repped this.
  20. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    Gomez was brilliant. Calm and assured on the ball but physically strong and imposing.

I think we need someone like Winks in midfield to be able to play out from the back. For Spurs he will drop deep and whilst not being that creative, he will always be in space and can be the link between defence and attack.

Barkley was asked to do this and it really doesn't suit his game. He's someone you want picking the ball up in the final third and driving at defenders. I'm also not sure Maddison will suit this. He's more of a no.10 as well.

I think in years to come we could see Rice and Winks screening the back four and Foden/Maddison playing behind Sterling, Kane and Sancho.

If only Michael Carrick was ten years younger!

roverman repped this.
  21. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I think Barkley has done well bar the mistake at the end. Winks is definitely missed, not bc of creativity but bc of the link between defense and attack, that's the number one reason England has struggled these past 30 years and the priority Southgate has to adress before next summer. If we can't have any control in midfield against the big teams it will be the same old story. Very worried RLC won't be ready for next summer btw.

roverman repped this.
  22. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    According to the latest news RLC could come back as early as November.

sharpovic repped this.
  23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018

I always thought Carrick would look outclassed whenever he played against the best midfields to be honest, particularly when pressed, never really got the pining for him based on that. I never thought he was any solution to the problem of competing with the best. He was good with time on the ball, not so good under intense pressing like we saw against the Netherlands.

Really all 3 midfielders do need to be comfortable picking the ball up from defence - it might not be their role - but there are going to be games, and parts of games where you're getting pushed back. We lost the world cup semi-final in large part because Alli and Lingard couldn't and wouldn't do this so when the Croatian midfield pressed increasingly higher we were unable to do anything about it. I think Foden and Grealish can definitely do this (although I do have reservations about how effective Grealish will be at higher levels, there's definitely parts of his game that get indulged in the championship that won't be in the premier), Maddison I'm not quite as sure but hopefully.

24. Cheema

Cheema Member

Liverpool
    England
    Apr 10, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1138045799949053952 is not a valid tweet id

W.A.S.P., Sam1010, Jenks and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Cheema

Cheema Member

Liverpool
    England
    Apr 10, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England