England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheema

Cheema Member

Liverpool
    England
    Apr 10, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Possible England lineup without any Liverpool or Spurs players for the Nations League game:

Pickford
    Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell;
    Rice, Loftus-Cheek, Maddison;
    Sterling, Rashford, Sancho

I don't think the CL final matchup hurts us that much can still put out a strong lineup without liverpool and spurs players. Barkely too as an option.

David Hurford repped this.
  2. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    That’s still a pretty strong line up to be fair.

Cheema and roverman repped this.
  3. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
  4. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    True, but with the obvious 3 or 4 injuries it will be a very different picture.

5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think harry kane will be fit

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Loftus cheek showing his class again. Him and ali have really stepped up these two games

W.A.S.P. and David Hurford repped this.
  7. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think they'll pull Maddison out of the U21 squad will they? Might mean a chance for Grealish but I wouldn't bet on it.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jamie Carragher thinks Liverpool should go all out to buy De Ligt to partner VVD. If that happens, then where does it leave Gomez? I think it seems to get forgotten how good he was before his injury.

9. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I think deligt to barca is a done deal personally. Liverpool dont need him because they are league and european contenders and matip and gomez have performed well. They would have to pay a massive amount because its a bidding war for him. Just dont see that need as justifykng that cost.

hussar and TopBanana10 repped this.
  10. Dutch provisional selection:
    Nations League Complete voorselectie:
    Patrick van Aanholt
    Nathan Aké
    Ryan Babel
    Donny van de Beek
    Steven Berghuis
    Steven Bergwijn
    Marco Bizot
    Daley Blind
    Jasper Cillessen
    Virgil van Dijk
    Denzel Dumfries
    Frenkie de Jong
    Luuk de Jong
    Terrence Kongolo
    Matthijs de Ligt
    Memphis Depay
    Quincy Promes
    Davy Pröpper
    Marten de Roon
    Pablo Rosario
    Kevin Strootman
    Kenny Tete
    Kenneth Vermeer
    Tonny Vilhena
    Stefan de Vrij
    Wout Weghorst
    Georginio Wijnaldum
    Jeroen Zoet

The Potter repped this.
  11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Carragher is a halfwit. If they sign de ligt, gomez would be on the shopping list of a number of top clubs. I still believe gomez is a better defender than de ligt.

12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Depends on their options really, doesn't it. If, say, they have the choice of De Ligt or a world class CM and can only afford one, I'd expect them to go for the CM, but if De Ligt is the only world class talent that they can get, why not?

They're at the point now where second-tier signings won't improve their first eleven, so there are only really two ways to keep advancing: bolster their squad options until they can rotate with no real loss of quality, and/or improve the team with the very best they can get. Signing De Ligt would serve both purposes.

13. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some very average/poor names in that list, but they can still field a good first 11.

roverman repped this.
  14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Who at UEFA decided to schedule the Nations League 5 days after the final?

TopBanana10 repped this.
  15. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It's tough to squeeze it into the calendar anywhere else. They want the final on a weekend and they've got to fit it in before the U21 Euros. Plus, clubs/countries/players don't want their season dragging on at the end.

I think the format will feel a bit awkward when we get round to it. Straight into a super serious game with no gradual build up may feel a bit artificial.

16. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    You're a very pragmatic thinker. Does your instinct suggest that we're at a significant disadvantage due to the CL final? Or am I making too much of it?

17. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    No idea and not sure you'll be able to prove it either way. Big issue is just that Kane is crocked. Feels irresponsible to bring him in even if he plays for Spurs.

Think it's better in the long term if we've got players playing in the CL latter stages though.

Nations league has been fun, but i'm not taking it too seriously. Might be good to give some more periphery players some proper competitive games anyway.

Pickford - Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell - Rice, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek - Sterling, Rashford, Sancho.

Kane obviously a big miss. Most people on here didn't like Henderson two months ago, TAA is hardly integral, people on here have been moaning about Alli, Gomez isn't properly fit.

Repeating myself, but Kane aside, it's not that major and he's injured anyway.

18. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    True. To tell you the truth, I don't know what to make of the Kane situation. I would hate to think that he's being rushed back ahead of schedule - for the short term benefit of Spurs or England but to the detriment of his long term health.

19. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He'll be rushing himself back in all honesty. He's a striker that can score despite not touching the ball all game though. I've never worried about whether Kane is in or out of form. I still expect him to score.

roverman repped this.
  20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm t
    I'm taking it very seriously. It's a competitive semi final for f's sake. We need to keep the momentum going. Its been a great year for English football and to go out to the Dutch would end it on a sour note

RobTheFool repped this.
  21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Of course he'll be rushed back. This could be the absolute pinnacle of his career. Champions League final and then the Nations League finals. He'll take any possible gamble on his long term health I'm sure.

roverman repped this.
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Pickford - Walker, Stones, Maguire, Chilwell - Rice, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek - Sterling, Rashford, Sancho.

Subs: Something like:

Heaton
    Butland
    Shaw
    Keane
    Tarkowski
    Ward-Prouse
    Wilson
    Jones
    Delph
    Lingard
    Chalobah
    Grealish

Just thought I’d try and fill up the subs slots because I was originally struggling to think of players around the periphery tbh but I kind of got there even though it’s not ideal for a good spread of options ( lacking attacking wide players for eg ) without delving into the U21’s which would be my concern. I just think Southgate will look into the U21’s for Squad fillers rather than use Grealish and Chalobah ( desperate shout considering his injury problems ) Can see Maddison and maybe a Foden or even DCL promoted which would be a loss for the U21’s.

23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    They’d probably rather avoid it, but the U21s can still play at the Euros after, like there’s an overlap and it is just two games.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That’s true and I know other Countries have done similar things in the past. I particularly remember Norway doing it, having U21’s with their seniors and then straight after the game(s) flying straight out for U21 duty.