England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Keane is 4th choice centre back at best. Rose is likely behind Chilwell and possibly Shaw in the pecking order.

2. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    That was classy. I remember what a torture could have been this kind of matches under Eriksson or Capello, such a joy seeing this match after those frustrating away performances.

thebigman, W.A.S.P., The Potter and 3 others repped this.
  3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jesus Wept mate! You’re a right bundle of fun, I hate to think what you’re like on YBIG forum after Ireland play! It’s just never ending criticism.

W.A.S.P., lanman and bluejon repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Good professional display in the end. Considering all the pull outs and certain players playing with knocks I can't really criticise anything. CHO and Rice with accomplished starting debuts. Another meet up that feels like we've built up a bit more progress with our squad. Work to do but we are looking fine at this early stage of qualifying.

hussar, W.A.S.P., roverman and 2 others repped this.
  6. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    That makes for good reading!

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  7. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    It's easy to forget as well that Rice only turned 20 earlier this year. He's still a kid.

8. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    CHO is a tad bit selfish . Or he's a shooter not a passer. Not necessarily a bad thing. But means he ought to always get them on target.

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Gaz811, thebigman, W.A.S.P. and 3 others repped this.
  10. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I've been really impressed with how Hudson-Odoi has handled himself in interviews. Certainly seems an articulate guy.

W.A.S.P. and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Blaa blaa utter tripe. Keane scored a goal and looked composed. Oh yes he turned Ireland down. Sour grapes?

W.A.S.P. and Placid Casual repped this.
  12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Have to say rice looks a class act. Composed, passes the ball well. Even when he lost possession he won it back. Odoi looks like he's going to be a star. Only critisism was he didn't run at defenders enough because when he did he had them on toast. Henderson looked very good. I do rate him but for me is more of an impact player. Our defence looked jittery at times but we're were missing 2 of the best defenders in Europe. Can't wait till we see rashford odoi and Sancho in the same team. Just need as creative midfielder now. Bonus is Wilson is no longer eligible for Ireland

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  13. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    He's certainly improved for England over the past year or so, but I still worry about him when he's pressed.

If only someone here had a suggestion.

IGSpur, W.A.S.P., hussar and 3 others repped this.
  14. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm really not sure about Spain. I think even though they lost at home recently The Netherlands are on the way back and not just because of VVD, it appears only one of the low countries can produce great youngsters at a time and it's the Dutch's turn atm, then Luxembourg next.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  15. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I agree with everything you said. Just a note that Wilson was never eligible for Ireland. My family knows his family and they said there's no Irish connection there.

roverman repped this.
  16. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Really assured and calm performance.

A couple of things on my mind... Does Rashford walk straight back into the team against Holland?

Our midfield suddenly looks much better. Which three would you pick though? I'd go with Rice, Winks/Henderson and Barkley on current from. I'm really struggling to choose between Winks and Henderson though.

Alli is also part of the discussion, but I don't feel he should be starting at the minute.

hussar, W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  17. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’d start this team against Holland if everyone is fit.. maybe Ox will be back too?

————Pickford
    TAA—-Stones—-Gomez—-Chilwell
    ———Barkley—-Rice—-Winks
    —Sterling——-Kane———Sancho

18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    This trolling by Greengrass is getting tiresome.

The constant Grealish, Rice and general Anti-English is derailing this thread constantly.

Very boring, especially when his national team can barely beat Gibraltar. Probably should be more worried about that than the England team.

Ignore function doesn't work either due to the derailing.

bluejon, W.A.S.P., Marcho Gamgee and 2 others repped this.
  19. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not that you're wrong to the contrary you are obviously right but the same could have been said and was being said about Sterling until very recently.

lanman repped this.
  20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Good to see Southgate and the players taking eloquently about the Montenegran fans.

Good result. As has pointed out, struggled before in these games but this team seems to be able to work it out.

roverman repped this.
  21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Ali is as very good link player. Has real talent but doesn't do enough. Oh yes and ******** the racists. Scumbags

IGSpur repped this.
  22. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #2897 The Potter, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    I've had to block Greengrass, only the second time I've ever done that. I used to have a Jack Russell called Millie and she'd bark at acorns and I was always sure she'd tire herself out if I gave her enough time, one time I put it to the test and nearly three hours later she was barking at the same acorn, Rice and Grealish are Greengrasses acorns, he must be a young lad otherwise it's just really sad. Saying that I've actually started to come round to the idea of Grealish, I always thought Jack made a real mistake he could have been a possible centenarian for Eire and was never going to get much have a chance with England but he's really won me over. I used to love (not in that way) Josh McEachran - he's the sort of footballer I really like - but he's flattered to deceive apparently at Brentford, Grealish on the other hand has worked on his upper body strength and stamina and is actually a much better player than he exploded onto the scene 4 or 5 years ago and impressed people so much. Plus an English midfield being driven by Rice and Grealish would be really funny.

roverman and TopBanana10 repped this.
  23. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Just imagine where we would be now if Allardyce had never got caught taking backhanders!
    prob playing 4-5-1 and struggling against every team.

I have been calling for 4-3-3 system for years and the results are proving me right. Literally every player we have got is better in this system. Its the ideal system for international football .

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What we did last night was previously not really possible by any other England side pre-2018. Trailing 1-0 away to Montenegro and we peg them back with five unanswered, and win comfortably. This has to be the quickest we've ever reached ten goals in a pre-tournament qualifying stage as well, right? I know the Czech Republic and Montenegro aren't world beaters, but it's not like we're doing this to Estonia, Lithuania, or Moldova. Our 5-0 defeat over the Czech's is their biggest defeat in their history and the result last night ties for Montenegro's as well and I believe the most goals they've ever conceded in a match. We still got a ways to go, but the collective calmness and composure the team has is something no England team has ever had before (perhaps 1966). Obviously a big factor to this is our possesion, but then the chances we create are solid, which makes for simple finishes, and our finishing has been as clinical as ever.

I knew after the first goal we had to take the lead in the first half because of the momentum and Hudson-Odoi getting swapped out to the left, which is where he immediately became dangerous. He was decent the rest of the game after he was placed there. The other youngster, Rice started slowly, but eventually got a good grasp of the flow of the game and didn't do much wrong. Big part in helping us maintain a 68% possesion and would like to see his pass completion percentage.

Nobody deserved a goal more than Barkley, who has been a huge factor in opening up our attacking creativity. Brilliant read while being in the right place at the right time for Hudson-Odoi's shot. His second was again right place, right time by getting a fortunate bounce while in perfect position to score. For me, he's a nailed-on starter moving on because his style of play fits in so well with what we do to get forward and press. Kinda fulfilling his potential for England.

People still slate Henderson, but he hardly did anything wrong and was a fantastic sub. His nifty tackle in the middle of park won us the ball and set up the fourth goal and he brilliantly assisted Sterling's goal with a pin-point through-ball. There's was other instances where he got forward and made the correct decisions. Fair play to him and I think he's improved as a player this season.

I think I'd give the MOTM to Sterling once again because he was everywhere inside the 40 yards. He setup Barkley's goal, assisted Kane's, and slotted his goal through the keeper's legs. Quite frankly, he's got the golden touch at the minute and I couldn't be more excited because these past four games is what I've been hoping Sterling could accomplish for a very long time.

- England's ten goals is the most through two games in qualifying
    - Sterling is tied with Israel's Eran Zahavi for most goals with four
    - Kane very quietly tied Peter Crouch and Tommy Lawton for 16th all-time in England history with 22 goals

I don't quite get the negativity (not including greengrass), but there will always be some who are never satisfied. We just whalloped supposedly the two toughest teams in our group! When's the last time that happened? I've been following England since 2009 and I've never seen that nor have most of you for a very long time as well. Probably since 5-1 against Germany. Now I won't get too ahead of myself because we're still England and things probably won't go as smoothly, but we're playing at a high level and can beat anybody at the moment. I'm glad we won the way we did because we conceded first and weren't shaken by that. Same thing happened to us against Croatia and we came back to win. In fact, that's the third game in a row when we've conceded first and won:

Slovakia 2017: 2-1
    Croatia 2018: 2-1
    Montenegero 2019: 5-1

Gotta love those Eastern European countries!
    Exciting times, lads. Exciting times.

bluejon, IGSpur and roverman repped this.
  25. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    UEFA probably won't do it, but they need to hand Montenegro a point duduction for their fans behavior. Most likely will slap them with a five or six-digit fine and move on hoping to sweep it under the rug.