England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    perhaps haha. i wouldn't care though if it worked. trying to play out the back and have a passing game isn't going to work with the players we currently have. maybe in a few years it might

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Alli in that formation with those players juest won't work consistently - he thrives with Eriksen at Spurs, but we don't have anyone playing a similar role. If Soutgate insists on Dier/Henderson/Livermore then a different type of player to Alli needs to be in that position, especially if you have direct players like Rashford/Chamberlain out wide.

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Barkley is out until the new year I think.

4. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  5. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    That's probably for HG reasons. I think he'll be back November/December. Doesn't seem like Everton have any intention of playing him though and he might not get a move till the end of Jan.

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It could be meaningless, I grant you, but it tells you that they want to keep the option of playing him between now and early December. Wouldn't be much point if they were sure he'd be out until the new year.

7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    fulfilling their HG quota in the squad allows them to use the full 25 doesn't it? May be related to that. Similar for United registering Wilson and why Spurs couldn't register Janssen.

8. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I mean, yes, but having a 25-man squad with one player who's injured for the duration is exactly the same as having a 24-man squad. It only helps them at all if he might be available.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ali works in spurs system under a great manager

I don't think gaweth can translate the same level of freedom and movement to him for England

10. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    You're limited in how many fresh players you can register for the knock out stages, or at least you were. A few seasons back I remember Liverpool didn't register Flanagan for Europe because he was injured despite having no one else for club trained home grown slots then when the knock out stage rolled round and he was fit they couldn't register him because they registered a January signing instead.

ChristianSur repped this.
  11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Huh, you're right. From this season's competition regulations:

"43.01 For all matches from the start of the round of 32, a club may register a maximum of three new eligible players for the remaining matches in the current competition."

I didn't know that. Then I guess you can't read anything at all into Barkley's registration.

12. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Let see if Dele Alli can perform in the Champions League before we blame Southgate.

thebigman repped this.
  13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Quick summary of the Nations League from UEFA here. The stratification of the teams for the first "season" takes place after next month's Euro qualifiers, and we look a very safe bet to be in one of the groups of League A. Wales might sneak in too, but there are a lot of teams that could catch them.

I'm quite looking forward to this tournament actually. I'm sure there will be things to criticise, not least that it'll hand Euro qualification spots to some fairly crappy teams at the expense of much better ones, but international friendlies can get a bit listless at times and perhaps this'll inject some urgency and meaning, hopefully without disincentivising a bit of experimentation.

14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    As an aside, another idle thought: if Southgate had a preference for Pickford over Butland, he might have chosen to leave Hart in until Pickford was back rather than put Butland in for two games and then drop him immediately. Not to suggest that that's necessarily what happened - he could genuinely believe that Hart is the best option, or he might just not have wanted to make a dramatic change right before our biggest qualifier - but it's another possibility.

15. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    905086523460251648 is not a valid tweet id

what kind of B.S is this?
    banning him for life !!

16. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    All this Rooney drama shows why its good we are done with the guy...

The Guardian repped this.
  17. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also got a year ban from Malta.

Quite harsh on both ends.

18. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    why is it harsh?

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Because of how comparatively trivial the offence was, and because he's a 16 year old kid.

20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think the year-long ban from the Maltese end is maybe a bit unnecessary but hardly the end of the world.

A lifetime ban from the FA, if that's truly what he's been given, is just insane. An adolescent ran onto the pitch for a joke - big wow - and he'll still bear the consequences when he's 80? Murderers will get a second chance before he does. It just seems like a ridiculous attempt to look tough.

21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Imagine if it was any other country? However, I doubt he would've been travelling to Malta within a year's time anyway.

22. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Palace have hired Woy apparently...
    insanity !

23. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    He can keep them up, this is the kind of job he's been good at.

24. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
  25. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    stones was brilliant tonight. hes been playing well for a while now.