England 2022

Discussion in 'England' started by David Brooks, May 10, 2018.

1. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    He's a more of a forward for me, but with great technical ability - could become a benzema / sturridge type of striker IMO.

2. ForestForever78

ForestForever78 New Member

Nottingham Forest
    England
    May 23, 2018
    England will still have the following failures in their squad for 2022:

Kane Rashford Lingaard Alli Sterling Dier Henderson RLC Stones Walker Butland & Pickford, the other squad members won't necessarily be the ones who deserve to be there, it'll be other English players who are on the books of Man City, Mancs Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal, In form English players from any other clubs just won't get a chance & England will fail at 2022 World Cup just as they will fail in Russia this year.

3. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Never really bought the "big club" argument. The only real example I can think of this year is Grealish, who wasn't even mentionned just because he plays in the championship. But Loftus Cheek was picked after a good season at Palace.
    Henderson still here in 2022 would be a national disaster.

4. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Back when there was a "big four" and Tottenham weren't in it no one moaned about Tottenham players only getting picked because they were at a big club and indeed not many Tottenham players got picked. Now that Tottenham are one of the best teams in the country and their English starters regularly get picked for England they're apparently part of the preferential clique. God forbid people accept the best players tend to play for the best/biggest teams.

There was a step difference between the top six clubs and the rest this season. A list of the standout English players from the rest who went unpicked is miles off inspiring.

The Potter and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  5. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Five Burnley players have been called up in the last 12/18 months, i'm not sure we have to worry about a big club bias. Everyone moans about Livermore on here all the time, a WBA player.

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    If we fail to perform it'll be because the coaching or the mentality is not right, not because we only pick from the top clubs. Aside from maybe Shelvey I don't know who from a smaller club should be in the squad but isn't.

7. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    In the second half of this season he has been playing as a number 9 and doing excellently. He scores a decent amount of headed goals too. I think it is where United see him in the future although some disagree. He played as a wide forward/winger in his younger days I believe.

8. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fair enough. I suppose if we don't have much No. 9 talent then he'll be the guy up there, but if we do then he could step in that role. Then again it looks like we have plenty of gifted No. 10s at the moment coming up through the ranks.

9. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Greenwood is super versatile, just a well rounded player. Who knows how he'll grow, what club he'll end up in or how football will change. He reminds me most of Van Persie, who played basically everywhere before settling through the middle fairly late on in his career.

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Man U coaching staff think Greenwood's best position is as the main striker.

11. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Will Euro 2020 be too early for most of these?

I’d hope by then that Foden, Sancho, Mount, Sessegnon are in the team.. with the semi finals and group games being at Wembley it would be a big opportunity. I think we could potentially be competitive by then if all of those players get good playing time and progress as we hope them to..

Imagine:

————Pickford
    Walker—Stones—Maguire—Sessegnon
    ——Foden—Dier—Mount/RLC
    -Sterling———Kane———-Sancho

Not a bad team at all!

12. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I could see Mount and Sancho in the team. I don't have especially high expectations for Foden or Sessegnon.

13. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Foden is so good. Saying that I loved McEachran.

14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Carefully now. You could set off a riot with comments like that about Foden.

I'm a bit surprised, even now, people are a tad cool about future England star Hudson Odoi. It's not as if he's an unknown anymore (to those who follow youth football).

15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Are they? I've seen nothing but high praise for yonks.

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Check back on the thread, if they are it is well disguised.

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    This thread? There's nothing but praise for him.

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Praise? I think you have imagined that. As I say "it's has been a tad cool" - on the Hudson front..

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Kind of relevant to 2022 so here you go, just for fun and kind of interested on your top 10:

Mine of the top of my head:

Sterling, Loftus-Cheek, Alexander-Arnold, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Gomez, Foden, Grealish, Mount, Lookman.

20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    No idea what you're talking about, but let's find out.

Does anybody not thinking Hudson-Odoi's a top talent?

21. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The thing about the England national team is that its vey hard to predict who will be in in it in the future . How often have journalists made forecast about a future 11 and maybe only one or even none of the players go on to be future internationals.

Also of all the young players you have listed their such as arnold , gomez. loftus cheek, chalobah, ali, sterling, hudson obi, roberts , abraham etc.. How many games do have they for their clubs between them.

Ok we know ali, sterling, stones, jones and ali are established premier league players and getting game time for their clubs . But Patrick Roberts who called an english messi when he was 17 was bought by man city and has played only one games for his club . He has been loaded out to Celtic where he had a impresssive first season but last season he stagnated . How is he going to develop in such a sub standard league.

Ben Foden : He is possibly Englands most technically gifted player . He has got some minutes and Guardiola seems to rate him but where's going to get game time when man city have so much talent in midfield.

Chalobah . This guy is 23 years old and so far only got 10 games for chelsea . I know 23 isn't old but he should still have played a lot more if chelsea really rated him.

Rashford : He is of Englands brightest talents but he looks a shadow of the player that he was when he first broke through . This is largely down to the mis management by mourinho who plays on the wing when is really should be played as a striker . He won't get much game time under Mourinho as Mourinho only plays with one up front and he said that Lukaku is undropable . Rashford better home that next seasons is Mourinhos last with Man Utd because other wise his career is going no where.

Loftus Cheek : He is a unique talent in that he has technically ability and phyicality to his game . Chelsea have have him out on loan to Crystal Palace but he is being played out of position . I think this guy has got all the tools of a den

22. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Roberts talent shouldn't be in question. . He made a big mistake going to man city . If he went to a lesser club in the premier league he would be getting games and he would have a much better chance of becoming a top class player . I have to wonder about the domestic team league at times . You have dross like Henderson playing regularly for Liverpool and then you have one of the country's most talented players loaned out to a pub league club . I mean to do the premier league managers not value technical players like roberts or is it the usual that he is too small and can't handle the physicality of the league . Which is pure bullshit of course when you look at the 2 silvas and raheem sterling etc.

23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    my dream team for 2022 would be (this is for fun and I can't think of a great prospect at DM so I'm gonna go with a very attacking line up)
    not sure about the goalkeeper
    TAA (although not completely convinced yet) Stones Chalobah Sessegnon - RLC Mount Grealish - Foden (right) Sancho (left) - Kane (with Hudson-Odoi as a supersub who has great potential as CF IMO).

Hopefully Foden will be given a chance in the position he played at the world cup, considering he was the best player of the tournament by some distance; not convinced by the LCM position he plays at City.

24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It's rare that the actual teams from tournament to tournament change as radically as we predict them to. I expect Sancho to be regular by then but I wouldn't feel confident predicting anyone else will be.

25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'm expecting Sancho in the team by 2020, to be honest. If the new Dortmund manager keeps giving him chances, things could progress very quickly for him.

Is it really true that radical changes don't happen over four years though? Of the side that started against Tunisia, only two even made the 2014 squad. This is a younger group of course, but I'd still expect a fair bit of churn in that time.

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.