End of season run in/relegation battle

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Carpi now down 3-0. Would take another 6 to affect the tiebreaker though....

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Couple of frantic moments in the Palermo box with 12 minutes left.

This team looks so much more composed than the last relegation squad. It'd be a tragedy if they don't stay up.

harrylee773 repped this.
  3. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Frosinone go down 1-0 and now are officially, mathematically relegated.

4. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They look like a team that has been playing together under a system they're trying to learn for a long enough time that they're just starting to click. I'm hoping for Udinese to lose today as well- that would be an ideal result going into the last week.

5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    FT Palermo hold strong.

16. Udinese: 39 pts
    17. Palermo: 36 pts
    18. Carpi: 35 pts

Final Matches:

Palermo v Hellas Verona
    Udinese v Carpi

Palermo officially controls its own destiny. A win and they are saved. Carpi would be relegated.

A draw or a loss would require a draw or a loss from Carpi against Udinese, otherwise Palermo will be leapfrogged on the last day.

6. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Udinese now have zero to play for next week, so it feels like we definitely have to win to stay up. Hopefully the game will be available in the States.

7. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    http://www.football-italia.net/84237/carpi-‘watch-verona-palermo…’

Carpi is spending a lot of time worried about Palermo's match. The theory is that Verona benefits financially from losing, and therefore intends to throw the match.

Carpi not spending much time at all worried about the fact that they still need to win their game to avoid relegation.

8. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not to mention, Palermo would technically benefit financially from losing, as well, if I understand it all correctly (although they'd certainly lose some resale value if demoted). Carpi probably needs to worry about Udinese more than anything else- Palermo's result means nothing if they lose, after all.

9. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D-day. For some reason, it appears that BeIN Sports is showing the Udinese/Carpi game on the cable channel and relegating the Palermo game to streaming only. I'll still be able to watch, but it's a bit of a hassle as I'll have to cast it to my Apple TV from my iPad. I figured all of the drama surrounding the Palermo result, with allegations of potential match-fixing before a ball has even been kicked, would've made for better TV.

10. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I can't bring myself to watch.

After watching Tottenham royally blow second place today, I'm assuming the worst. Hopefully I'm wrong.

11. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't not watch- first meaningful game I've had access to and, well, who knows when that'll happen again. Here we go...

12. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Carpi up 2-0 (first one was a PK). Udinese down to 10 after a player got a red card for arguing with the ref........

There are no words.

13. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Maresca, the player Ballardini refused to play in his first stint, possibly just saved his job and the team.

14. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Salvation.

Unfortunately, now Zampa will feel his antics this season were justified, when really they were what put the team in this spot in the first place.

15. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a game. I remember joking at some point either last year or early this year that Palermo would lead the league in goals if hitting the post counted as a goal. Well, they got to witness the other side of that coin today as they were saved twice by the woodwork. Exciting game, one of very few this season from the sample size of games I was able to watch (probably around 15-20 if I had to guess).

I told myself I'd get a new Palermo jersey if we stayed up, so if anyone has a link for something cheap that isn't classicfootballkits.uk, please let me know :)

16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Trapani won 2-1 today on the last day of the regular season, finishing 3rd in the league. An incredible season. They went unbeaten in their last 16 matches, including 12 wins.

They will now be the top seed in the promotion playoffs to take a spot in Serie A. They were a third tier team just 3 seasons ago, and a non-professional 4th tier team just 3 seasons before that.

Would be great to have a Sicilian rivalry back in serie A.

InsigneForBalonD'or and harrylee773 repped this.
  17. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Cesena and Spezia kick off in just under an hour in the promotion quarter finals. The winner will play Trapani Saturday.

Bari and Novara play tomorrow, with Pescara the other team with a bye.

18. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Spezia wins 2-1. They were the slightly lower seeded team (it was 6th v 7th place).

The final two rounds are both 2 leg matchups, with the second game being the home game for Trapani.

Trapani won both games against Spezia this season, including a 5-1 home win in November that snapped a 4 game losing streak.

19. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    There are, by the way, a handful of Palermo connections in the Trapani team, beginning with their manager, Serse Cosmi, whose stint at Palermo I remember mostly for the terrible hat choices. He lasted, wikipedia reminds me, only 4 matches, filling in the only portion of the 2010-11 season Delio Rossi didn't have control of.

Maurizio Ciaramitaro came through the youth program at Palermo, making it to the senior roster between 2000-2010. However he spent most of that time out on loans and co-ownerships, making only 9 appearances for the Rosanero. He joined Trapani in 2013 (Trapani's return to Serie B) and made 22 appearances for Trapani this season. That sort of Palermo player bio is emblematic of what Palermo's problem was for many seasons, bloated rosters of players who needed to find loans every season before new players could be bought.

Christian Terlizzi had a more memorable Palermo career, joining in 2003, helping the team to promotion in his first season there. He was eventually sold in 2006, after 48 starts and 6 goals as a central defender. He also joined in 2013, but at 36 years old, he apparently fell out of favor this year, going from 27 games last year to just 5. From what I gather through google translate, he was more or less told in the summer and the winter that he was not part of the plans and that Trapani wouldn't mind getting his wages off the books, and he refused to leave.

Lastly, two current Palermo youth prospects are on loan there all year, 20 yr old centerback Andrea Accardi, who made only 2 appearances, and 21 yr old goalkeeper Andrea Fulignati, who made 3 appearances.

harrylee773 repped this.
  20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Trapani with the 1-0 win in the away leg today. Things looking good for a Trapani miracle promotion. Reverse leg is on Tuesday.

harrylee773 and falvo repped this.
  21. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Trapani keeps up the heat, winning 2-0 and advancing to the final, likely against Pescara who won the first leg away 2-0, and would advance based on higher seed if the aggregate score is tied (second leg is tomorrow).

Final is also a 2 legged affair, and the same tiebreak would apply. Thus, Trapani would advance in the case of a tie by virtue of having finished third this season.

It would be Trapani's first ever season in A. They truly have had a miracle second half of the season. For some perspective, their stadium seats only 7,000 fans.

22. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    1st leg of the final, at Pescara, kicks off in an hour and a half. As far as I can tell there is no official viewing options in the US, but should be plenty of other ways to watch.

23. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Trapani player gets a yellow for a late challenge. As a result of yellow card accumulation, it means he would miss the second leg.

Out of frustration, he kicks the ball away, earning a second yellow/red.

Down to 10 men in the 30' minute, 0-0

24. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Pescara with a goal right out of halftime. Trapani had played really well in the last 15 minutes of the first half, generating a few chances and basically preventing Pescara from having any shots.

Hopefully they can keep this at least close for the last 40 minutes. Second leg at home and the tiebreaker of higher seed will hopefully help