End of Season Countdown

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by goussoccer, Aug 5, 2019.

1. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Ok, this made me think that we should be in countdown mode here!! I've listed the last ten games and the current PPG and place (in their conference) of each team they are playing. This by no stretch a sure thing. In looking at their next two games I hope we don't encounter a 3 game losing streak which is entirely possible.

Here you go:
    upload_2019-8-5_16-25-17.png

swedust and A Casual Fan repped this.
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like the Revs, RBNY has to do a West Coast trip this weekend, heading to LAFC.

3. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I disagree with a few of those evals

I expect wins vs OCSC, Chicago, and probably Toronto and RSL.

I think Timbers at Providence park will be lucky to be a draw. Seattle feels like a draw and so do RB.

Atlanta might rest guys for matchday 34, if they already have a 1st rd bye locked up. Same for NYCFC if they are locked into homefield for their 1st rd playoff.

FtCollins, RevsLiverpool and Feldspar repped this.
  4. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland is going to be a toughie. Their record involves a lot of early losses and recent wins, not unlike us. And Brian Fernandez did for them what we're hoping Bou will do for us.

5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Yeah. Portland's early season struggle can be described in part because they had 0 home games (renovations to Providence Park). Their 2nd half is heavily biased toward home games, and unsurprisingly their point total has perked up.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Casual Fan and goussoccer repped this.
  7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if they can bring in a Defender or DMid as fast as they brought in Bou I think they may have a darn good chance to make a run and be a spoiler in the playoffs. I don't think they have the talent to go all the way but stranger things have happened

8. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    What is NOT included in that list is Toronto who is 1 point out of the playoffs has to play the least amount of playoff teams (4 out of 10) over the remainder of the year.

My sense is that as much as we have 'righted the ship', we are still a LONG way from the playoffs. This is going to be a tough road for us. Glad that we are in the hunt for real though.

FtCollins, TOAzer, NFLPatriot and 2 others repped this.
  9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce is already thinking about next year, though it will be interesting to see how the revs do down the stretch.

10. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well -- 1 point in Seattle and we moved UP in the standings! A point ahead of Montreal with a game in hand. Let them battle with Toronto for that last playoff spot. Revs still in a delicate spot, but better spot actually than they were last week.

BTW - glad that Bruce is keeping something in his roster options for next season and taking the position (at least I am inferring here) that JUST making the playoffs this season is not the ultimate goal of the team. He's actually thinking about next year too.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FtCollins repped this.
  12. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    They have both Toronto and Montreal leaping over us. Interesting. I can see Toronto doing that given their schedule...but they haven't made a big move in their last two games getting 2 points like us, so they really need to change the narrative for that to happen. In regards to Montreal, I just don't see it really..4 of their last 5 games are against TOUGH competition and another one before that is against Toronto -- that will help us - and we have a game in hand. Key to us is getting wins against Chicago, Toronto and Orlando. If we do that, I'd imagine we are in good shape. Not an easy task, but one that is doable. Here is a 'redo' of the original spreadsheet. I've added a column for 'Current PPG' so we can see a trend. Chicago and Portland have made meaningful improvements and we have suffered a bit. The Portland improvement supports tsb11 and Feldspar's comments earlier in the thread.
    upload_2019-8-18_19-29-36.png

TOAzer repped this.
  13. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Haha 2 for 2 on my predictions so far. Now they need to get some wins

14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MON blew a 3-goal lead and drew with DAL. That lost 2 points could come back to haunt them.

15. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    May you be right on the rest of your predictions as well!!!

16. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking upwards in the table, DCU has an interesting two weeks coming up: RBNY Wednesday, @PHL Saturday, @Montreal following Saturday. If we take care of business at home and get a break, we might build a bit of a buffer to those below us.

17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Another way to look at the situation ..here are the point totals for the 7th place team in the last 5 years (all 34 game seasons)
    • 2014 - 41 points
    • 2015 - 44 points
    • 2016 - 42 points
    • 2017 - 45 points
    • 2018 - 46 points.
    We currently stand on 35 points. Another 11-12 points should be enough over the last 8 games....OTOH - that means a 1.38 to 1.5 PPG average. Under Bruce we are well ahead of that average. Hope it continues that way.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Personally, I don't want to see us squeak into the playoffs and have to face a 1-off on the road. To get a home game, we need to get to 4th, which means passing NYRB and DCU.

Winning our home games, tying on the road would give us 16 more points. I don't think we'll get all that, but I think we can/should win the home games and get 2 ties out of 4 on the road - 14 more points. Of course that means no slip-ups at home - anything less than 3 points in any home game here on out would be a killer.

BrianLBI repped this.
  19. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Ok...7 to go and we have been doing what we need to do so far. Great win vs. Chicago. We are up to 1.48 points per game, we continue that and we should be good, for sure! Another 8 or 9 points should secure a spot in the playoffs, but I agree that it would be good to go in stronger than just creeping in. Feel much better about us since this thread started, but the TFC game will could put us right back on the fence if we aren't careful.

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the MLS Cup Playoffs Started Today ...

Revs would be the 6 seed in the East and face NYCFC.

Two of the final six regular season games are against NYCFC.

Four of the final six are on the road, including at POR and at ATL.

Next game vs TOR could be the most important game yet.

FtCollins and TOAzer repped this.
  21. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal took three points at home last night (Vancouver), and have edged above Toronto. DCU is visiting MTL on Saturday. We have two games in hand on them, seems like a draw is the most favorable outcome to the Revs.

22. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    And NYCFC is still in a position to grab the #1 seed in the East...so I would imagine they would like to attain that spot. Those are going to be tough games. We are in the position where the next game is always the most important game yet -- until we get enough breathing room. Good news is we are a VERY relevant playoff contender now, bad news is every point is super critical.

23. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Wow...from the highlights MTL were very lucky to get 3 points..Vancouver had to miss a PK, score an OG on themselves and then miss an opportunity in the box ....just wow. A razor-thin margin in the game and in the standings. Going to see a lot of those I guess.

24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    DCU had Rooney's suspension extended a game, so I think he'll miss that one - and DC is already stumbling ...

NFLPatriot repped this.
  25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States