En"Vert" et contre tous!!! The St-Etienne thread [R]

Discussion in 'France: Clubs' started by Montréal United, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Time to fire up the Cauldron as the season is upon us.

In the following day, I'll recap the off-season (not much happened other than a few crisis, a new manager, ridiculous transfer rumors...) and preview the season.

2. Montréal United

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: En"Vert" et contre tous!!! The St-Etienne 2006-07 season thread

Schedule for the Ligue 1 season
    (Before PPV changes and winter problems hit again...)

sam 05/08/06 1re journée Saint-Etienne - Sochaux
    sam 12/08/06 2e journée Monaco - Saint-Etienne
    sam 19/08/06 3e journée Saint-Etienne- Nancy
    sam 26/08/06 4e journée Saint-Etienne - Lens
    sam 09/09/06 5e journée Sedan - Saint-Etienne
    sam 16/09/06 6e journée Saint-Etienne- Auxerre
    sam 23/09/06 7e journée Rennes - Saint-Etienne
    sam 30/09/06 8e journée Saint-Etienne- Paris-SG
    sam 14/10/06 9e journée Lyon - Saint-Etienne
    sam 21/10/06 10e journée Saint-Etienne- Le Mans
    sam 28/10/06 11e journée Troyes - Saint-Etienne
    sam 04/11/06 12e journée Saint-Etienne- Toulouse
    sam 11/11/06 13e journée Nantes - Saint-Etienne
    sam 18/11/06 14e journée Saint-Etienne- Nice
    sam 25/11/06 15e journée Bordeaux - Saint-Etienne
    sam 02/12/06 16e journée Saint-Etienne- Lorient
    sam 09/12/06 17e journée Lille - Saint-Etienne
    sam 16/12/06 18e journée Saint-Etienne- Valenciennes
    sam 23/12/06 19e journée Marseille - Saint-Etienne
    sam 13/01/07 20e journée Saint-Etienne- Monaco
    mer 24/01/07 21e journée Nancy - Saint-Etienne
    sam 27/01/07 22e journée Lens - Saint-Etienne
    sam 03/02/07 23e journée Saint-Etienne- Sedan
    sam 10/02/07 24e journée Auxerre - Saint-Etienne
    sam 17/02/07 25e journée Saint-Etienne- Rennes
    sam 24/02/07 26e journée Paris-SG - Saint-Etienne
    sam 03/03/07 27e journée Saint-Etienne- Lyon
    sam 10/03/07 28e journée Le Mans - Saint-Etienne
    sam 17/03/07 29e journée Saint-Etienne- Troyes
    dim 01/04/07 30e journée Toulouse - Saint-Etienne
    sam 07/04/07 31e journée Saint-Etienne- Nantes
    sam 14/04/07 32e journée Nice - Saint-Etienne
    sam 21/04/07 33e journée Saint-Etienne- Bordeaux
    sam 28/04/07 34e journée Lorient - Saint-Etienne
    sam 05/05/07 35e journée Saint-Etienne- Lille
    mer 09/05/07 36e journée Valenciennes - Saint-Etienne
    sam 19/05/07 37e journée Saint-Etienne- Marseille
    sam 26/05/07 38e journée Sochaux - Saint-Etienne

First thing noticable is that the schedule is much better balanced than last year when we had a run against all the european teams one after the other.

3. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD

!!!

I was thinking of starting this.

Let's make this thread beyond huge, so they'll be forced to give us a forum

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003

I read somewhere online that Glasgow Celtic want to sign Piquionne. Your team hasnt really made any impressive signings so far. I think you guys are looking at mid table as of now.

5. Allez Lyonnais

Allez Lyonnais New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    TX

Hautcoeur looks like a good pickup to me. Sable-Hautcoeur combo looks decent in the middle.

6. Montréal United

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Hey, no trolling!!!

Oh, wait that's a compliment... ;)

Hautcoeur is indeed a nice pickup. A good rotation player needed to complement the midfield.

7. Montréal United

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Well, I wouldn't mind if Pique goes.

As far as our recruitment goes, there's no way Les Verts can compete with the big boys for stars. What we're looking for is good pros who are about to burst into stardom or looking to rebound after a bad career move. Overall, it is a solid recruitment that will improve the quality of the group.

I'll post my comments on the new boys in my summer recap post coming up soon.

8. Kevin Alexander

May 27, 2004
    America's Dairyland

Yes!!!

9. Montréal United

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Here we are...

The top five 2006 summer topics

1. The battle at the very top : Caizzo vs Royemer
    2. Baup out, Hasek and Rousey in
    3. The Sablé saga: Toulouse, Marseille or nowhere?
    4. Zokora, going but where?
    5. Transfers markets follies

1. The battle at the very top : Caizzo vs Royemer

This story didn’t get much press outside the St-Etienne region, but it is a big one. Of course, what we know is mostly speculation, but here’s the gist of it.

The St-Etienne structure with its investors had Caizzo at the top… or shall we say over the top. A very public figure with his declarations to the fans in last year struggle, he had his clic in power.

However, tensions arose with the manager Baup. Now, who’s right or wrong? I guess we’ll never know. Did Caizzo inder Baup’s work? Did Baup ditched the club for Toulouse unofficially way back in the winter months? That debacle led to a poor end of the year and changes had to come.

Romeyer, Mister moneybag in the organisation, took the opportunity to increase his powers and, thus, St-Etienne now have 2 co-presidents at the top.

How does that make it the biggest item of the off-season???

Well…

a) it influenced the naming of the new manager
    b) it’s a powder keg… It’s bound to blow up as Caizzo, Mister Public presence, is the exact opposite of Royemer. That could lead to another crisis in management which pegs Les Verts back another few years.

2. Baup out, Hasek and Rousey in

After the disastrous end of the season & the poor displays on the pitch, something had to be done… or was it already done???

[Pure speculation]
    Some St-Etienne fans accuse Baup of:
    - Telling Les Verts’ direction that he was going to Toulouse come season end sometime during the winter.
    - Sabotaging the team result by doing a subpar job in the last few months
    - Sabotaging the locker room spirit by blaming the direction for his job situation in order to create some sympathy.
    - Once in Toulouse, tried to buy disgruntled players (either Sablé, Piquionne or Feindouno).
    [End of speculation]

Anyway, out went Baup after one good year and a second horrible one.

But who would succeed him ? One again, rumors flew left and right… Jacques Santini, Luis Fernandez, Alain Perrin, Laurent Blanc…

The only real serious one in the bunch was Fernandez, but he became the first victim of item #1 on this list. Royemer basically said no to Caizzo’s man. Fernandez accused on his radio show Aimé Jacquet, France’s 98 manager and ex-Vert, to have killed his hopes by saying to the directors that Luis “wasn’t right for Les Verts”

Out of left field came in Hasek, with only a average job done in Strasbourg as an highlight. The new manager installed a new sense of discipline to the squad. Piquionne even commented to the press how things really had changed between the Baup relax approach and Hasek’ one.

However, Hasek didn’t come alone. Laurent Roussey came along. Roussey was Lille’s Claude Puel righthand man. An ex-Vert also, Roussey wanted a new chanllenge. So how is moving to similar job a new challenge? Time will tell or is Hasek already walking on eggs with his successor already in house…

3. The Sablé saga: Toulouse, Marseille or nowhere?

Ah Julien Sablé… what a nice saga in a few months !

Sablé, the perfert counter-mercenary of football, was loyal to Les Verts even with the sirens calling him to some greener pitches elsewhere. A year ago, he was celebrated as he signed back on with Les Verts instead of leaving on a free transfer.

Les Verts’ capitain truly was the perfert image for the Ultras of St-Etienne.

How do time change??? Well…

After the poor end of the season, Sablé developed what can only be called a man-crush for Baup. Furious after his departure, Sablé visited the Toulouse installation and was subject to a transfer bid from Baup’s new team. That transfer was declined… I wonder why??? Hum, let’s say the direction didn’t want to make Baup a parting gift.

Disgruntled even more after that incident, in came some trade rumors. Lyundala, l’OM striker wanting out for Sablé, who could then join his hometown’s club and love of his youth.

Sablé was more than ready to go, but something went wrong. Lyundale just didn’t want to join Les Verts. Oups… Back to square one.

In a recent interview on Football365.fr, he praised his father and especially Royemer (again new implication from item #1) to have helped him regain his belief in Les Verts. Also, a subtile jab is made bt Sablé toward Baup, which he defended after the season, as he states in relation the sacking: “in these stories, nobody truly is clean”

Where will this go? Nowhere for now. However, a poor start to the season from Julien will lead to boos from the Ultras in the kops, which would make him again disgruntled.

Thus, the importance of a good start for the Hasek/Roussey regime.

4. Zokora, going but where?

One of the most obvious tranfers of the summer was that Didier « Maestro » Zokora was leaving Les Verts.

After one incredible season his first year, he also suffered from the team’s poor display. With the World Cup approaching so did the rumors.

Having been granted his exit by the direction during the winter, in came Tottenham with a bid. Why Tottenham of all teams??? Don’t they already have numerous midfielders???

Well, one name: Damien Comolli.

Comolli was a St-Etienne staff member in the 2004/05 season coming in with the new management. He also had a fallout with Caizzo’s man (another reason for item #1), but did one magic trick in recruitment before he left: he brought Zokora with him from Belgium.

From Skyports.com

"I listened to an offer from Arsenal, but decided Tottenham was the club I wanted to be at. One of the big things was that Tottenham really showed that they wanted me. That really pleased me.

"Kolo Toure and Eboue are friends of mine, and of course it would have been nice to play with them - but I really wanted to go to Tottenham.

"I was impressed by them and I know Damien Comolli, their director of football. I was very impressed by what they had to offer."

Zokora admits that he was ultimately swayed by Comolli, who first took him to France from Belgian side Genk, but was also drawn in by the prospect of playing with the likes of Aaron Lennon.

"Comolli came out to speak to me in Germany and told me what a great club Tottenham is," he reflected.

"He was a strong influence for me because he took me to France in the first place. That wasn't the only reason though, by any means. I chose Tottenham because it's a great club.

However, before the transfer was made official, rumor has it that Chelsea, also “lacking” some worldclass midfielders, bid a much higher amount.

So, Zokora is a Spur. Good luck Didier and thanks for your effort.

With such a sudden void in the team and new money, fans wonder only one thing: Who’s coming???

5. Transfers markets follies

First up, the ones going out.

• Fred Mendy: used to a lucky charm in our first season up, but then Baup stopped playing him. Why? Who knows… Anyway, was a free transfer this summer and chose to join Bastia. Good luck Fred.

• A. Yahia: announced as versatile defender… or better word to say he’s not good anywhere. Joined Sedan

• Nicolas Marin: loaned in the Mazure transfer of summer 05. Never good enough for L1. Will try again with Sedan.

• Seb Mazure: this one hurts… He was supposed to continue his stellar play from Caen after his transfer, but never worked out. Wasn’t a Baup guy (his purchase is linkedto Caizzo’ boys going over Baup’s head). Going back to Caen to regain his magic. Too bad…

• H. Postiga: yes, the one in Portugal’s squad in Germany… Never made a great impression to warrant a definite transfer. Only 2 goals after his winter mercato arrival. Another “great” job by Baup…

• B. Basto: a true Baup guy. Brought in as a stop gas mesure, he didn’t survive Hasek’s arrival.

• Ech Chergui and Kamara: youngster would did make it up to the first team. Kamara got his chance, Ech wasn’t as he was deemed to small. Out to Châteauroux and Sète. Better luck out there, boys.

• Hellebuyck: Traded against Landrin to PSG. He was in his final contract year and didn’t want to extend. He made a media gaffe leaving saying that for the first time ever he truly chose where he could play. Nice thought for Les Verts who rescued him to bring him back to the bright lights after his career suffered when he was cut from Lyon’s squad.

Coming in… or how to start rumors.

Pavel Nedved, Jan Koller, Trezeguet, Luyindula and so many others lesser known players where linked with Les Verts during the silly season.

The cold reality is St-Etienne is not a huge club on the transfer market and can’t afford wages of star players. It is much better suited to:

A) Jump start a failing career (Hellebuyck, Feindouno, Piquionne, Camara)
    B) Give some lesser known player their chance to shine (Zokora).

So, let’s meet the new boys:

• Geoffroy Dernis (from Lille): Left sided midfielder. Played into Lille’s rotation last year with 21 games. Decent prospect. His use depends on Hasek’s scheme, which will see in action soon. Brought in thanks to Roussey’s connections. “B” category signing.

• Daniel Bilos (from Boca): Played one year in Boca (33 games – 5 goals) after transferring from Banfield. Another left sided midfielder, but more an offensive threat. All depends on Hasek, but he can line up also with the forwards. “B” category signing from our contacts in Argentina. Will he adapt? We’ll see, but as an example Piatti, the other Argentine, seems ready to explode on the scene this year after adapting to his new setting last year.

• Hautcoeur (from Le Mans) : a hard blow to Le Mans. He is a defensive midfielder with a huge heart. A nice rotation player to have. Will benefit from Loic Perrin’s injury. Also, a “B”

• Landrin (from PSG): Brillant at Lille, bombed in the capital. Nice possibility to rebound. His versatility will help on the right side on midfield. Category “A” recruit, let’s say that having Roussey in house sure helped to convince him that his future was with Les Verts.

• Ilan (from Sochaux): One job only… score goals. Remember that Piquionne was the high man with a whopping 5 league goals.

What coming before the window closes: a right back to challenge for first team action as it looks a weak spot. Lots of talk about Chalmé, a Lille (surprise!!!) player with only one year left on his current deal. However, Lille doesn’t budge and is asking too much for Les Verts’ liking.

Bonus summer story:

Perrin… or no luck at all.

Loic Perrin, the new star of the youth scheme, is once again hurt after tearing up his second knee after injuring the other one not so long ago. Hopefully, he’ll bounce back to his form which was a breath of fresh air in last year’s poor season.

10. Montréal United

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Matchday 1

Association Sportive de Saint-Etienne - Football Club de Sochaux-Montbéliard

The opponents

Sochaux, now led by Alain Perrin, look to rebound from last year missed year that started all wrong as tensions between ex-coach Guy Lacombe and the president Plessis ended costing Lacombe’s job.

The summer saw the return of Bréchet and the addition of Leroy. Also in, a brazilian touch to replace Ilan (now qualified for St-Etienne) via Denmark as A. Santos was purchased. Will he step up to the league caliber? Time will tell.

Les Verts news

• After some legal problems between his old clubs, Ilan is now qualified to lead Les Verts’ attack this Saturday.

• Loic Perrin is out for sometime with his knee operation

• Matchday 1 is a curse for Les Verts with the last victory coming in 1991

Probable line-up

(a nice guess as it’s Hasek’s first official game in charge)

Janot

Diawara --- Hognon --- Camara --- Ilunga

Feindouno --- Landrin --- Sablé --- Dernis

Piquionne --------- Ilan

Prediction: 1-0 as Bilos comes up from the bench and becomes Les Verts’ new instant idol.

11. Gusztáv

Gusztáv New Member

Aug 5, 2006

Hi,
    that's nice this topic :)

Do you see the rumor for the becoming of the young colombian defensive miedfielder Freddy Guarin to saint-etienne ?
    [URL="https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9221919#post9221919"/URL]

I hope we will win against Sochaux.

Allez les Verts :D

12. Montréal United

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Seems I forgot to post on Matchday 2, well, a nice away win with Feindouno scoring the goal of the week.

We'll see what kind of grip Hasek as on his team as Feindouno must avoid his usual "one nice game, five poor one" routine.

Matchday 3 : ASSEAssociation Sportive Nancy-Lorraine

Well, it’s not Bordeaux-Lyon, but it is still a nice game early in this season as Nancy is riding high.

News of the week:

Happy birthday

It seems it is the 15th anniversary of the ultra group Magic Fans. Expect quite a show from their part on Saturday.

Guarin signs on.

He comes in on loan with a purchase option, but it seems like Les Verts have found a pearl. Young Colombian international, he could become what St-Etienne are missing since a long long time. A true “10” on the pitch which will control the midfield and dynamise the offence. Seems like he has a super shot also. Remains to be seen when will he make an impact of the club.

He decided to wear the #10 in honor of Valderama.
    A couple of highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3UyzkyWW28
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw6oEJVWfzA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-cqEpAzNfI

A call-up for Bilos

Congrats to Daniel “El Flaco” Bilos on being called up the to Argentine squad selected to face Brazil in London. Will he get off the bench? I doubt it, but still a nice sign for the player.

Projected line-up:

Boy, this is getting hard as Hasek promised turnover during the season, but I see him putting in the same 11 as last week in Monaco…

Janot

Diatta --- Hognon --- Camara --- Ilunga

Feindouno --- Landrin --- Sable --- Dernis

Piquionne --- Ilan
    I could also see Bilos start in place of Dernis.

Prediction:

2-1 Les Verts as Piquionne will continue to ride high in the L1 scoring table as he’ll tab his 3rd of the season. The other one… hum, let’s say Hognon on a corner.

13. Gusztáv

Gusztáv New Member

Aug 5, 2006

ASSE 1 - 0 ASNL
    We win, we win ! :D
    It was difficult and a strong fight on the grass. Janot did incredibles stops. And Ilan score a beautiful goal !
    To view a very nice video-clip of the match : http://213.246.46.223/clips/clipJ3.zip

14. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Watching the St. Etienne vs Lens this weekend was a really a shocking reminder of who has the best fans in France. Great atmosphere, St. Etienne really does deserve a big club.

15. zlojack

zlojack New Member

Aug 29, 2006

Well hello to all my fellow Les Verts fans. I am new, but I will be here to follow them as best as I can.

So far so good this season as the new coach, new formation and new players all seem to be doing well.

16. Montréal United

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Welcome zlojack!!! We need all of Les Verts fans we can around here.

It was indeed a well earned victory against a struggling Lens team. Hasek really has energized the attack with the team of Piquionne and Ilan looking really good.

Even Feindouno managed to have 2 good games in a month!

I hope someone can post on youtube the wonder own goal Demont scored. A thing of beauty! :D

17. Montréal United

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

From time to time, we’ll update the career of a few ex-Verts.

First up, the “important” ones still in France:

ALONZO Jérôme : Stuck behind Landreau at PSG, is future in the capital is either the bench or leaving. At PSG since 01-02.

ANTONETTI Frédéric : currently managing Nice since the 04/05 season after being pushed out the door after leading Les Verts to the L2 title. Led Nice to a 12th place in 04/05. Had a very nice year last term as Nice finished 8th and played in the league cup final.

ARMAND Sylvain : trained as a youngster with Les Verts, had a nice career from Nantes (title in 2001) before moving on to the PSG. A regular fixture in the squad.

BAUP Elie : After his second go-around, Elie left for Toulouse. His arrival seems to have jumpstarted this underachieving club. Will it last? Time will tell…

COUPET Grégory : Where have we heard his name lately ? Ah yeah, the World cup starting GK saga. A true leader of the Lyon machine :)mad:), Greg seems destined to be in goals for the 2008 French qualification campaign.

HELLEBUYCK David: Traded against Landrin to PSG, David is still adapting to his new setting (the evil ones would add “the bench”) . Had a rough game at Sochaux being pulled out before the half.

MENDY Frédéric: A victim of Baup’s management last term, Fred has scored already twice for Bastia, his new club he hopes can come back up to L1 (but that not many people are really missing). Bastia is currently 7th, but the season is only begun.

SAGNOL Willy: A Bayern Munich veteran, the list of titles won would be too long. 46 selections for France. A rock in the backline.

ZOKORA Didier: Fresh off to Spurs, Maestro will need to adapt to a game where so many L1 exports failed (remember Djemba-Djemba…). We’ll see what the future holds.

There are a big bunch of lesser known players, which we’ll highlight if something arises in their career.

18. Kevin Alexander

May 27, 2004
    America's Dairyland

Excellent update on the players..Thanks!

19. zlojack

zlojack New Member

Aug 29, 2006

Thanks for the Welcome! You look like you know the team quite well.

Here is a video of the goals from ASSE-Lens including the beautiful headed OG
    CLICK TO DL

20. zlojack

zlojack New Member

Aug 29, 2006

Hey MU, how is Damien PERQUIS performing this season? I haven't been able to see matches, just highlights but it looks like Hasek is using him more. I noticed he has been in the midfield as well.

21. Gusztáv

Gusztáv New Member

Aug 5, 2006

the torrent's links of ASSE 3 - 2 RC Lens (1st time and 2nd), a pretty good match

http://87.236.91.20:6969/stats.html?info_hash=d664fede69cd7bb5ac5ff0a2601ab36dc6d482ef
    http://87.236.91.20:6969/stats.html?info_hash=0327ed70b3561466133d82306d56be2f7c4b2bce
    But Perquis didn't play this time.

and an one hour resume of the mythic final of champion cup the 12th may 1976 against Bayern Munich... f'ckin squared posts
    http://tracker.denness.net:6969/stats.html?info_hash=8c6efd410703f9926199eb66045080f8b42a89f5
    :D

22. zlojack

zlojack New Member

Aug 29, 2006

Thank you very much!

23. Gusztáv

Gusztáv New Member

Aug 5, 2006

Yesterday, St-Etienne play an amical match against Servette de Genève and win 1-0. El Nacho Piatti score the goal on a pass of Fredy Guarín. The objective of the match was to test some young players et give time of game.

A Aix-les-Bains, stade Forestier, 1400 spectateurs environ
    Arbitre : M. Bien (mister Good :D )
    Score à la mi-temps : ASSE 0–0 Servette de Genève
    But : Piatti (47e) pour l’ASSE

ASSE : Viviani, Badel (puis Ilunga 46e puis Piquionne 77e), Perquis, Camara (cap) (puis Hognon (cap 46e) puis Dernis (77e), Damien Moulin (puis Benalouane 46e), Piatti, Hautcoeur, Guarin, Dabo, Gomis, Sakho. Entr. Hasek

Servette de Genève : Marques, Di Stephano, Boughanem, Ratta, Bratic, Girod, Pizzinat, Londono (cap), Vitkieviez, Chedly, Treand, Barea, Wissam, Gorgane, Youksuzoglu, Pont, Muller, Mutombo, Cravero.. Entr. Aeby

You can see photos of the match and if you speak french have more information on http://www.asse.fr/asse-pages/asse-actualites-01.php?idArticle=1370

Siaka Tiéné played with Ivoiry Coast against OGC Nice in left defender place (Nice 2 - 3 CIV). Today, Bilos is in Londres with Argentina selection wich play against Brasil. Lamine Diatta and the young neo-green Bayal Sall are in Kinshasa to play with Senegal against Mozambique for eliminatory's african cup, Ilunga for his part must be with the Congo selection (but he was with saint-etienne yesterday... it's strange). Feinduno will not play 'cause of international suspension but will be with the guinean selection to support his comrades.

Next match in les Ardennes against Sedan...

:D

24. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003

I watched Argentina vs Brazil and the announcers commented that Bilos played a really good match and looked impressive.

25. zlojack

zlojack New Member

Aug 29, 2006

Bilos played an alright game. He was forced to play too much defense as the LB wasn't exactly great. He didn't do anything particularly spectacular, but he certainly acquitted himself well for a NT debut, especially when you consider it was against Brasil.