Empty net goal called back for offside (NCAA Women - Temple @ UConn)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by ChelseaSounder, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Pat Chewning

Pat Chewning Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Beaverton Oregon
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The most striking part of this video to me is the completely empty stadium....

2. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    The fans are all on the camera side of the field. Apparently they don't pull in thousands of spectators.

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Interesting--I would think they would want the cameras opposite the fans. (My son played a basketball game that was being televised by a local station. They begged people to move to the opposite side of the gym so more fans would be in their shots.)

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Fake sports!

IASocFan repped this.
  5. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Hate to be the pedant but the “first point of contact” language is from the Laws of the Game, which doesn't matter in this NCAA-affiliated game :laugh:

Seriously though, it's worth remembering that the only reason we have this “first point of contact” standard at all is because VAR needs to know which frame to use when reviewing offside decisions. Human perception is not precise enough to care about this distinction, therefore it is irrelevant in competitions where offside decisions are not subject to video review, as is the case in the original clip

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you don't!

IASocFan, Mi3ke and La Rikardo repped this.