Emmanuel Sabbi at Le Havre

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 28, 2013.

1. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Anyone familiar with Las Palmas? Is it a good club to develop at? Is this a good move for him or just a move?

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Last season was their first time in the 1st division since 01/02.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking over their transfers from recent years to see if they'd moved homegrown players on to bigger things:
    • Vitolo to Sevilla in 2013. He's gone on to be a starter there and has three caps for Spain.
    • They also sold an 18 year old to Atlético Madrid in that same year (Héctor Hernandez) but he's since gone on loan and hasn't stuck.
    • In 2012, they sold Jonathan Viera to Valencia for €2.5m; he's since gone on to play for Rayo Vallecano and Standard Liège and is now back with Las Palmas.
    • In 2011, they sold Álvaro Cejudo to Osasuna and he's been a mostly regular La Liga starter since.
    • Salomón Rondon played there from age 18-20 before being sold to Málaga in 2010, and later to Rubin Kazan, Zenit, and West Brom.
    They have a decent number of local players in their squad, too. So they seem okay, at least.

Winoman and justinpaul10 repped this.
  4. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Just curious on the Ghanaian passport thing. I know Ghana is one of the African countries whose citizens don't need a visa to live and work in Spain but I didn't know they counted as domestics in the eyes of the Spanish FA.

It was my understanding that the limit is specifically 3 non-EU players and while the visa would allow, say, an 18 y/o Ghanaian player to live there and play with the reserves without issue from the government but in order to register for the first team of Spanish club he would still occupy 1 of those 3 non-EU spots since having a visa isn't the same as being citizen.

I could definitely be wrong, this is all based on very light knowledge of subject and regardless, it's non-issue for Sabbi who we're 99% sure was born in Italy making him a full fledged EU citizen.

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Spain, they count players from Cotonou Agreement countries as domestics. That's how Shaq Moore, for example, could sign in Spain (T&T is a signatory to the agreement).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/7032661.stm

BTW - only a small handful of countries outside of the Americas have jus soli, so being born in Italy does not guarantee that Sabbi has Italian citizenship.

mike4066 and hokeydokey repped this.
  6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've merged the thread and changed the title. How's it look?

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, Mario Balotelli was born in Italy and still had to wait until 18 to get his passport.

There are several comments early in this thread that question how he could be an Italian citizen.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Suits me, though looks like you have his first name spelled two different ways in the thread title -- I believe it's "Emmanuel."

9. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I'll fix that.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks.

There's certainly more to this story that I'd love to read. He's just a few years removed from a different name, a non-DA club, and co-ed high school soccer. Now he's on the books in La Liga. That journey alone seems plenty interesting, wherever it may lead...

11. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could use another "Yank kid at Torino" style saga, if it comes to that.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a site that has never been good with things like "facts."

Tom Collingsworth, mike4066 and Gacm32 repped this.
  15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

So, this isn't inspiring and I'm not sure I'm so excited about him playing for us anymore.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  16. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Come on, let's take this with a grain of salt, this isn't a very reputable website that is pro-Ghana. I doubt very much the quote is accurate.

17. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    http://ghanasoccernet.com/ghanaian-...escribes-las-palmas-move-as-a-dream-come-true

http://ghanasoccernet.com/confirmed...el-sabbi-signs-for-spanish-side-ud-las-palmas

This author goes back and forth pretty interchangeably between the two, even in the headline/body of the that second link.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that what he says "Ghanaian-born" he means that by Sabbi's being born to two Ghanaian's he is therefore "born a Ghanaian citizen". Not that that is necessarily correct either.

18. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Great info on both, thanks.

19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    You're right, he's a kid and that's a tabloid. I'm just saying I got less excited, not that I blame him.

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Gacm32, ChuckMe92 and BostonRed repped this.
  21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    A nice article I missed before from Tinta Amarilla. A liitle Canary hype.

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 8.56.29 PM.jpg

If Kevin Prince Boateng is the media darling of the first team of UD Las Palmas, the signing Enmanuel Sabbi as a Las Palmas Atletico player has had a similar ample impact in the international media. We have already reported that the Chicago Magic player, born in Italy but developed in the United States- had been conducting a test on the island until Tuesday the Gran Canaria club decided his move.

The news published in Tinta Amarilla has had a following and the confirmation that Sabbi will be a player for the Yellow (still pending bureaucratic paperwork toenable his debut) has caused aftershocks in several countries, especially in the United States and Ghana.

Because even NBC devotes a piece on Sabbi on its website, identifying with the La Liga team where Kevin Boateng plays. In the United States Socceramerica also welcomes this leap forward to Las Palmas, reminding that he joins a list of US young players jumping to Europe in 2016. These are:

Danny Barbir, West Bromwich (England)
    Luca de la Torre, Fulham (England)
    Kevin Coleman, Kaiserslautern (Germany)
    McKenze Gaines, Wolfsburg (Germany)
    Brooks Lennon, Liverpool (England)

Ethan Lotenero, Belenenses (Portugal)
    James Murphy, Sheffield Wednesday (England)
    Matthew Olosunde, Man. United (England)
    Joshua Perez, Fiorentina (England)
    Christian Pulisic, Bor. Dortmund (Germany)
    Emmanuel Sabbi, Las Palmas (Spain)
    Haji Wright, Schalke 04 (Germany)

They provide the Information with a picture of the U20 US team, where the player militant who now receives his orders from Manuel Marquez battles.

Ghana also disseminated information on the presence of Sabbi on the grancanario club. Ghanasoccernet reminds that he was born in Italy but of Ghanaian parents. They then establish a visual relationship with UD Las Palmas because it is the team where one of the idols of the country, Kevin-Prince Boateng, plays.

Sabbi has shown on his personal account his satisfaction with the opportunity to stay in Gran Canaria, thanking all those who have helped him get this far. Now the climb really begins.

22. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prince Boateng is an idol in Ghana huh? He of a whopping 15 caps and conveniently retiring from International football after a World Cup in his mid twenties?

23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I didn't write it :(

24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know what level Emmanuel is at UD Las Palmas? I can't find anything.

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Set to start playing initially with Las Palmas Atlético, in the third Division (same level as Akale) once his paperwork is complete.