Emmanuel Sabbi at Le Havre

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 28, 2013.

1. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Yes.

2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #527 Ceres, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    I know that MLS are keen on signing former big "name" players, no doubt to attract more attention from the media, sponsors and more people in the stands .. so I do respect and understand the logic of the "American" way of doing sports, by MLS especially signing older big "name" attacking players, while not spending all too much on the more tactically and defensively part of the game, which is exactly the opposite of what the Superliga is all about ... which is developing young players for export

But from personal experience, and to be quite honest, I do not really believe in the value of more or less over-the-hill bigger "names" in retirement outside the top-5 leagues ... I mean, Brian Laudrup seemed terribly average when he returned to the Danish League from Chelsea at the age of 30, which is why FC København quickly send him packing ... not to forget Rafael van der Vaart, though still highly skilled, simply had become too slow and so was a huge flop in the Superliga for FC Midtjylland when he came here from Betis to warm the bench at the age of 33 back in 2016, even if they both, just like other older big "names", did attract quite some media attention and sponsors ...

But the truth of the matter is, that when players reach 30 in the Superliga, Danish Superliga teams most often considered them to be too old and and slow to be regular starters... and obviously, unless you actually follow the Superliga very closely, you will never have heard of a Teemu Pukki or a Kamil Wilczek, or a young Laudrup before they have actually moved to a top-4 league and become a success, so it's quite impossible to compare attacking players in the Superliga and MLS, or judge the quality of the Superliga by the "name" of the players. Because you most likely would never have heard of them, unless they are older big "names" warming the bench, like a Rafael van der Vaart or some other big "name" close to retirement... and most Superliga teams deliberately try to stay clear of them, due to their age and high wages

3. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Cool. Zlatan vela pavon and Rossi would still be the best attackers in the league.

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  4. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Weah is injured, I hope Sabbi gets the call. I want to see how good he is.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    At the risk of being un-PC I hope he turns out to be awesome and his nickname becomes "Primo" Sabbi.

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Zlatan would do great in the Superliga and in any other league for that matter, because of his skills and how big and strong he is, while I highly suspect that Carlos Vela would have been a flop in the Superliga had he moved there, just as the otherwise highly praised Peru international Edison Flores was in Denmark before moving on to Mexico after the WC-18...... besides Vela hardly playing much at all in his last season in La Liga, then players from the South American soccer culture usually have huge trouble adapting to the Superliga due to tactical issues, no matter how skilled they otherwise may seem to be..... Vela (72 caps, 19 goals for Mexico) and Flores (45 caps, 13 goals for Peru) btw have similar NT careers, but with Flores obviously being 5 years younger.

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Tom Collingsworth and freisland repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Cappis in the U23 list or at least a reference that he wasn't released?

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, but there are no references to "non-released" players. That's pretty standard in the official press release.

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised Sabbi got a footnote but Cappis is the one that is having a better year.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Transfer News :

According to Hobro Director of Sport Jens Hammer they are now officially negotiating a possible sale of Sabbi with an undisclosed foreign based club.

"- We are doing our best to keep all three [Sabbi, Kirkevold and Babayan], but as it looks right now, we are probably going to lose Sabbi," the Director of Sport said, but, however, also add that nothing has been signed yet.

"- If it goes through, then it will be the club's biggest sale ever, and that we are of course happy about."

https://beta.bold.dk/fodbold/nyheder/hobro-forventer-stoerste-salg-i-klubhistorien

14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #539 Ceres, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Btw... as a side note... the 31-yo Polish Brøndby striker Kamil Wilczek who I mentioned earlier, is now suddely being rumoured to MLS ... and I suspect Nashville SC that also signed his team-mate Hany Mukhtar is the team trying to sign him... I will warn you though, that while Wilczek no doubt is going to do an excellent job on his own as a DP, no matter the quality of his team-mates, then Mukhtar is not the kind of player who is able to raise the leve of his team-mates, no matter how skilled he otherwise seem to be, so making him one of only 3 DP's could be a mistake in my opinion... unless Nashville think very little of the tactical and defensive qualities of their opponents..

15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's their current record for a transfer? Before we know it, Hobro is going to have a full roster of Americans they're trying to sell on.

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The biggest Hobro transfer ever, was the $590k they got for the striker/winger Mads Hvilsom when he moved to Eintracht Braunschweig back in 2015 ... their biggest signing so far, was paying Brøndby around $300k for the 30-yo striker/winger Quincy Antipas back in 2014... Antipas was also their very first full-time professional player.

TarHeels17, UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If they are smart. Some decent, lower-value American prospects not getting game in MLS.

adam tash repped this.
  18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    You can't buy American players for that money. So the only what they can get would be 18 years olds dreaming of anything Europe.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #544 freisland, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    That's exactly who I'm talking about. There are plenty of good young American prospects who can look at the current MLS rosters and legitimately wonder if they will ever get game - not all will catch on in a pro league, but a few could be enticed to try their luck.

These aren't the up and coming LD's, CP's etc. but kids who have the possibility of battling into a Scandi league team, showing well and getting a decent paycheck - kind of exactly what Sabbi and Cappis did. Cappis didn't like MLS rules, so he took a hike. I don't know Sabbi's motivation but he spent enough time around US developmental systems that he had to know what he was looking at and took the Hobro road.

There are more to be pipped where these two came from, especially if you point to the Kuzians, Mines and Reals of the world and say that these "hot prospects" are still USLing it, and mention what their paycheck looks like. Not that 60 or 70k a year is less than what you'd pocket in Scandinavia (@Ceres will have a better idea) but if you're bought by a Scandinavian team the point is to be sold-on for a nice profit for them and for you. I wouldn't be surprised if a few more prospects take their shot - and it won't work out for most of them, as it the way of soccer, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't be good for the club rolling the dice. US players are, in general I'd guess, still cheaper relative to ability than most Euro countries.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hobro is a yo-yo team that is lasting three years in the Superliga because they expanded from 12 to 14 teams. All they need is more inexperienced kids from across the pond to get that final push to send them down after circling the drain for far too long.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Perhaps, but a little "record transfer" money can go a long way in patching together a team that manage to stay up.

22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #547 Ceres, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019

As Babayan said a few days ago, then this is the best Hobro team ever .... and they have only lost 2 of their first 8 games, but are still 3rd from the bottom, and ironically, the chance of Hobro going down this season is much bigger than ever before, because the Superliga is being cut from 14 to 12 teams at the end of this season, so 3 teams are going to suffer relegation, with no relegation play-off's against NordicBet Liga teams as a possible last escape.

https://www.bold.dk/fodbold/danmark/superligaen/

On the other hand, the NordicBet Liga is looking stronger than ever, and will only become even stronger next season with 3 Superliga teams going down and the teams getting much more of the TV-money, which is also why they agreed to vote for a smaller Superliga. The NordicBet Liga is also getting 2 promotion spots, unlike the one they got this season, and no more promotion play-off's against the bottom Superliga teams, which will make a promotion to the Superliga more easy.

https://www.bold.dk/fodbold/danmark/nordicbet-liga/

23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    This past week there has been talk among some of the most knowledgeable Danish transfer experts that Sabbi is being advised by some of his own family members not to listen to the club or his agent, but to stay at Hobro until his contract expire, so that he is able to cash in, by getting a bigger sign-on fee.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  24. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #550 Ceres, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    All I know is that Brøndby either could not afford signing Sabbi or seem to have lost interest, while AGF Aarhus gave up on signing him and instead signed the young South African version of Manchester City’s Leroy Sane ... Gift Links in the supposed biggest transfer ever made by Cape Town City according to South African media, though the fee has not been made public this far :
    https://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news...ut-gift-links-progress/501966?comments-page=2

https://www.transfermarkt.com/aarhus-gf/transfers/verein/678

UniversalAdvice repped this.