Emmanuel Sabbi at Le Havre

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 28, 2013.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preference is to stay in Denmark with a Top 4 side but if that's not on the cards I'd rank those destinations above like this....

1) Turkey
    2) Portugal
    3) Sweden
    4) Switzerland
    5) Greece
    6) Israel
    7) Austria
    8) Hungary

2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I think for most of these leagues there is a fairly large gradation when discussing clubs... which makes it difficult to rank the move by "league" only at this point... I mean... FC Basel > anywhere in Sweden and Olympiacos > anywhere in Sweden but not necessarily smaller clubs in those leagues > anywhere in Sweden

When discussing this 2nd tier of European football I'd say individual club strength is more relevant than league strength.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Strength and stability and coaching.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course! Thanks pretty obvious. But not knowing teams. that's how I'd rank it. If teams were named, it might be completely different ranking.

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #405 Ceres, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Turkey is the "old men" league of Europe .. actually much worse than MLS in that respect, fielding players of almost an average age of 29 .. so that would be an absolute no-go for a young player like Sabbi in my opinion.
    http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/atlas/en/

.. and you are also not quite sure if the coach who asked for him to be signed is going to stay or get fired or if you are then going to get paid, so what ever they may promise financially, never trust a Turkish or a Greek club for that matter ... I have also noticed the same problem with clubs from Israel and Portugal.

Sweden is a step down and the Hungarian League is an even further big step down and also an "old men" league ranked 32 in Europe so that would a terrible move :
    https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/crank2021.html

So, Denmark, Switzerland and Austria would be the best options in my opinion, Denmark for further development, Switzerland for the pay check and Austria ..I really don't know, they speak German, but develop much less talent than the Superliga and are not closer to Germany than Denmark.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

(how did I avoid work before the Iranian revolution invented twitter?)

Eighteen Alpha, sakibomb523 and Winoman repped this.
  7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I thought you were among the AARP crowd ;)

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #408 freisland, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    I'm the working-retired!

Or should I say the working-old!

tomásbernal repped this.
  9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    AGF Aarhus are now seriously considering to make a bid on Sabbi after they have just sold their Danish U-21 NT midfielder Jens Stage to FC København in the biggest transfer ever between two Danish clubs, worth up to $3.8 million.(with $1 m depending on how successful FCK will become this season). But AGF are going to give their Director of Sport around $2 million of this money to be used on the transfer market. AGF have also just sold a midfielder to a Chinese club and send one of their Academy players on loan to Dortmund with an option to buy. So they are looking for reinforcements.

Hobro are on the other hand hoping to make a deal with Malmô FF to get the Swedish U-21 NT centre back Anel Ahmedhodzic.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/anel-ahmedhodzic/profil/spieler/377468

superdave, sakibomb523, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #410 Ceres, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Aarhus is the 2nd largest city in Denmark and AGF Aarhus of 1880 is the oldest top-flight club in all of Scandinavia and has the support of the Crown Prince of Denmark ... but honestly, being much too old fashioned in how to run a club after the Bosman ruling did set back the club for too many years, though being able to spend lots $$ on players ... but the past few years the club has finally been run much more professionally and is now actually making a profit ...

AGF is regarded to be the club in Denmark with the biggest future potential behind FC København, if they finally get their act together, and as you may remember, AGF was the club that developed and transformed a very young Icelandic Aron Jóhannsson from a fairy unsuccessful midfielder into a successful striker at the very time he became a US international, an NT career injuries unfortunately later put an end to.

AGF was also the club that helped Benny Feilhaber with his NT career and getting selected for the 2010 FIFA World Cup after his short and unsuccessful stay at Derby :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Feilhaber#International

neems, USSoccerNova, eliwood and 3 others repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I recall he played in the 2nd division for AGF even after the WC.

Winoman repped this.
  12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Hobro only managed to get the Swedish U-21 NT centre back Anel Ahmedhodzic on a 1-year loan deal from Malmô FF.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/anel-ahmedhodzic/profil/spieler/377468

So I guess they are not that badly in need of $$ right now, considering their tiny budget, but still, I think they are going to sell if AGF is going to offer around $1 million for Sabbi, considering that the biggest Hobro transfer ever, was the $590k they got for their young striker/winger Mads Hvilsom when he moved to Eintracht Braunschweig back in 2015 ... their biggest signing so far, was paying Brøndby around $300k for the 30-yo striker/right winger Quincy Antipas back in 2014.

m vann repped this.
  13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Perhaps I should add, that Hobro have leaked that their asking price is €1 million, but also that there have been no offers so far from abroad close to the figure they want .. Their Director of Sport Jens Hammer has recently said that he find it most likely that Sabbi is going to be sold this summer ... and that quote:

"If we were a big [Superliga] club, I would have bought him straight away. If you are able to help him improve properly, I see no limits to what he can achieve. "

and .

"We know our place in the food chain, so if a bid comes, then we will of course have to look at it," said Jens Hammer, who has also has had felt frustrations .

"There's no doubt he's one of the best players we've ever had to work with. But he's also young and make some some big mistakes. I sent him on vacation today, telling him that I have cursed at him many times during this season."

"But I just need to give him credit. A month ago he told me 'Jens, you shouldn't be nervous. We will stay in the Superliga '. He got it right - and he even scored three goals and made an assist in the playoff games."

His agent has also said, that it would be strange if the top-5 clubs in Denmark would not be interested and that Quote :

"- The plan was really that he was to be sold now, and we have cleared that with Hobro, but that he probably consider to stay in Hobro. - It may be be a bit of a question whether (moving) is the right thing to do right now. but if the right offer were to come, he would of course like to leave, said Thomas Jørgensen."

Part of the reason why Sabbi may not leave at all costs is that he has started improving quite well in Hobro. He has gained confidence and has so provided some great performances, especially at the end of this season.

"- Hobro believed in him and they will spend time on him [and his further development]. They quickly made a plan for him, and they dared making use of him, despite him being highly unschooled [an unfinished product]. So it's also because of Hobro that he has achieved what he has achieved [so far}. and that this was the right move".

____

So in other words, they still see him as an "unpolished" product who still has some to learn at Superliga level before he leave Hobro and the Superliga, but that he for sure is ready for a move to one of the top-5 clubs ... FC København would be an unthinkable move because they already got 6 right wingers and strikers who all are much more experienced at NT level.

Besides FCK only Brøndby, FC Midtjylland and AGF Aarhus would be able to pay a transfer Hobro would be able to accept, and FC Midtjylland got no less than 10 right wingers in their squad, including the European U-21 '2018 Golden Boy' award nominee Evander (da Silva Ferreira) from Brazil and other wingers with international experience, so that would also be an unthinkable move.

This leave Brøndby and AGF Aarhus .... Brøndby only have a few right wingers, but we are talking about the former German U-21 international Hany Mukhtar who also has German Bundesliga experience + former fellow German youth international Besar Halimi and a highly experienced Kasper Fisker. ... At AGF he would mainly be up against Swedish Tobias Sana, the Left/right winger Mustapha Bundu and the Danish U-19 international left/right winger Kasper Lunding and the former FCK winger Youssef Toutouh.... but they have all been more like rotating than being actual regular starters. AGF are also in need of one more decent striker, so they may also have Sabbi in mind for that position, just as it was the case with Aron Johannsson.

The Jonald, superdave, edcrocker and 2 others repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I much rather see Sabbi in Aarhus than in Molde.

15. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #415 Ceres, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    AGF Aarhus came very close but missed out on an Europa League spot in the final EL play-off's this season, which I think is an advantage for a young player like Sabbi that still has some to learn, because both FC København and Brøndby are going to need more experienced players for the Europa Cups, if they are to sign more players to reinforce the team... I suspect the same would be the case for Molde ... AGF are on the other hand in need of reinforcements for the Superliga, which is why they seem highly interested in Sabbi.

And with all due respect for the Molde coaching staff's ability to be able to help Sabbi improve. I also think he will be better off at AGF that have former Danish international and former Danish NT assistant manager Martin Jørgensen as youth coach and Rubén Sellés, who likewise, as assistant manager and chief analyst helped Qarabağ reach the group stage in both Champions League and the Europa League back in 2016 and 2017, before he signed with AGF. He has also been youth Academy coach at Villarreal in the past and has been assistant manager for Aris Thessaloniki in the Greek league.
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/ruben-selles/profil/trainer/58333

https://www.transfermarkt.com/martin-jorgensen/profil/trainer/34178

Obviously there is also the question about the Superliga being cut from 14 to 12 teams this season, so there are 3 relegation spots and no relegation play-off's, so it's not only about making your team stronger, but also to make your opponents weaker by signing their most important players.. AGF just sold their captain in midfield to FCK, but on the other hand have "robbed" Randers of their Captain in midfield and also want Sabbi.

Hobro on the other hand, do have several good wingers and strikers, but could need some more reinforcements in defense and central midfield, so the $$ they would be able to get by selling Sabbi could really help them in a tough season where they are going to be among the prime candidates for one of the 3 relegation spots.

UniversalAdvice, edcrocker and Suyuntuy repped this.
  16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Ooops ! ... change of events ... the FC Nordsjælland Director of Sport Carsten V. Jensen just quite his job and is now on his way to Brøndby, which then is the end of their present Director of Sport Ebbe Sand, so my guess is that Brøndby are now rather going to focus and have their eyes on Amon and some of the other FCN talents instead of Sabbi.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  17. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    According to Danish BT Sport (that is usually well informed and trustworthy when it comes to news of this kind), then Sabbi has turned down an offer from Maccabi Haifa from Israel ... according to the newspaper the two clubs had agreed on a €600k ($680k) transfer fee, so it was Sabbi himself who turned down the offer, though they do not reveal the reason why he would not agree to the personal terms.

https://www.bt.dk/superligaen/emmanuel-sabbi-takkede-nej-til-maccabi-haifa

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #418 Ceres, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    It now seem for sure that we can count out FC københavn and Brøndby, considering that their main focus on the transfer market is now in defense... As written earlier, Brøndby have just replaced their Director of Sport and are now waiting for an answer from OB Odense after making a $610k bid on their key CB, while the key FCK left back Nicolai Boilesen just got injured and is out for upto 9 month, just as Lazio have made an offer worth up to €12.5 million ($14.1 m) on their Slovakian CB Denis Vavro, which is almost the €13 million FCK was asking for, so according to Italian Corriere dello Sport this is a done deal, if FCK are able to find a replacement before signing the deal ... or in other words, FCK are now in a hurry to sign replacements for Boilesen and Vavro.

FC Midtjylland we can now also count out for sure, after they are about to land the 24-yo Dijon striker Sory Kaba in a deal worth €3 million.

19. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Brøndby did make some offers in the range of $260k and upto $600k on Sabbi earlier that was turned down by Hobro, because they did not want to sell at that price to a club from the Superliga. Back then Hobro were asking for €1 million ($1.13 m) but it seems that the asking price has now dropped to a bit below $1 million... If I know AGF well, they will probably now make a $760k bid on him.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Even that would be low-balling a 21 yo guy who ended the season scoring one goal per game.

21. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    As written earlier, then Hobro know their place in the food chain... which is at the very bottom, considering their tiny budget and the transfers they have made in the past, so they would never be able to get as much for him as would seem to be a fair price.. As you may also have noticed, there is a huge difference in how much you can expect to get for a player in the Superliga, highly depending how big the club is and how big a budget we are talking about.

UniversalAdvice and Suyuntuy repped this.
  22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Brøndby may now be back in the mix after their newly signed head coach Niels Frederiksen has just told Danish EB Sport that :

"- Our squad is not at all in place. Something is going to happen [on the transfer market] the coming weeks" said Niels Frederiksen

The coach agree that they may pick up wingers [which also include wing-backs] and for the central defense.

"- There could well be reinforcements coming for the wing positions. Players for the central defense are also something we are looking for. The most important thing is to get players who will fit the way we are playing" Frederiksen said and add that Brøndby is looking for dynamic players who are good with the ball.

Bold.dk were reporting Tuesday that they have made an offer on OB defender Jeppe Tverskov.

-----

The new Brøndby head coach (and now former Denmark U-21 NT coach) .
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/niels-frederiksen/profil/trainer/9253

Tom Collingsworth and freisland repped this.
  23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry, FC Helsingør is below them.

24. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #424 Ceres, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Not long ago Helsingør (better known abroad as Elsinore, world famous for Kronborg Castle and Shakespeare's tale of Hamlet) were in the Superliga and fielding Perry Kitchen ... now they are "Top of the Pops" in the Danish 3rd Division and owned by the American investor Jordan Gardner .... and are ecstatic because they have just managed to sell their very best player to Superliga side AaB Aalborg for €150k ... so all is relative ...

A highly interesting 2019 Podcast ( just before they suffered relegation) with Jordan Gardner about his investment in Helsingør and youth development (US vs. Denmark) in general :

https://www.cementen.dk/2019/03/02/helsingoer-fanpodcast-podcast-special-med-jordan-gardner/

Winoman and freisland repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kitchen played for Randers!

Winoman, Ceres and freisland repped this.