Emmanuel Sabbi at Le Havre

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 28, 2013.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hip check to win position on the ball was everything...

But really, Rask was out of his head. Holy-moley.

2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #377 Ceres, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Superliga Play-off's 2018-19 :

2nd leg:
    Viborg FF v Hobro IK, 0-2 (agg: 0-3)
    0-1 Vito Hammershøy-Mistrati (1)
    0-2 Emmanuel Sabbi (22)
    Attendance 8,153

The two excellent goals by Vito and Sabbi early in the first half simply broke a Viborg team that seemed highly frustrated and bewildered, unable to play their usual game ... I'll post the highlights from the 2nd leg as soon as they are up.

Hobro lineup (4-5-1)
    Jesper Rask - Mathias Haarup, Jesper Bøge, Yaw Amankwah, Nicholas Gotfredsen - Emmanuel Sabbi. Mikkel M.P. Vito Hammershøy-Mistrati, Jonas Brix-Damborg, Edgar Babayan - Pål Kirkevold
    Sub :
    Vito Hammershøy-Mistrati < Christian Cappis (52)
    Emmanuel Sabbi < Sebastian Grønning (78)
    Mikkel M.P. < Julian Kristoffersen (82)

3. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #378 adam tash, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Amon reportedly has a 3m euro offer from Brugge...

Amon's a few years younger so a more appealing buy...but Sabbi's season + playoffs in the same league is every bit as impressive as Amon's....(I would argue more impressive body of work by Sabbi in 2019, all things considered)...

Anderlecht would be a great jump for him, I agree....but at the same time standout performers in Denmark routinely move to top 4 leagues.....If Sabbi was Danish, and did that in the playoffs, I bet he'd get rumors to the EPL, Bundesliga etc

4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    During the match they did mention that Hobro may try to cash in by selling Sabbi in the summer transfer window, if the price is right, but Hobro hardly ever sell any players, so the question is if they are going to sell now that they are sure to be playing Superliga next season.

Obviously a possible offer will be much bigger now that they did not suffer relegation and considering how well Sabbi has been doing in the highly important play-off's where you really need to step up and show what you are made of.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    A little shout out to @Ceres for consistent, long-term, fact-based info posting - with no histrionics, trolling or agenda. Really appreciate it. Great way to keep up on the harder-to-watch Scandi players. Thanks!

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think it would be a too large of a jump but Anderlecht is a huge internal mess right now.

adam tash repped this.
  7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Superliga Play-off's 2018-19 :

2nd leg:
    Viborg FF v Hobro IK, 0-2 (agg: 0-3)
    0-1 Vito Hammershøy-Mistrati (1)
    0-2 Emmanuel Sabbi (22)
    Attendance 8,153

Highlights :

8. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #383 Ceres, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    We also need to consider that next season the Superliga is to be reduced from 14 to 12 teams, so there will be no relegation play-off's, but 3 teams that will suffer relegation, so unlike FCN who are less likely to get in trouble at the bottom of the league and so are more likely to sell a player like Amon, then perhaps a team like Hobro is not going to be all too keen on selling players in the summer transfer window, hoping to keep up the momentum, also considering that while the winter break is very long, the summer break is very short.

If we look at the teams most likely to suffer relegation next season, then Lyngby is the prime candidate to finish very last ... as you may remember, they suffered relegation while being on the very brink on going bankrupt and looking for investors in England and abroad last year and they were also just hoping to scrape by and not suffer relegation from the NordicBet Liga this season, considering that they could hardly even find the money to pay wages ... they were also in great trouble "dancing" around the relegation line up until the winter break, but then all of a sudden they started climbing and though they at no point were in top 3, they by a stroke of luck, still managed to finish 3rd after a win secured in the very last minutes of the very last round, while the two other teams fighting for the last play-off spot both lost points. So by an absolute miracle they suddenly found themselves in 3rd place and in the play-off's where they managed to eliminate Vendsyssel from the Superliga.

Otherwise Hobro, SønderjyskE, AC Horsens and newly promoted Silkeborg are the 4 teams most likely to be fighting against relegation, and so I'm sure they are all rather going to reinforce their team in the summer break and least likely to sell any players.

9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow only 12 teams? that's small.

Why the contraction? (I guess that won't be good news for the American-owned FC Helsingor that wants to make an american developmental club in Denmark out of that club)

10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

It's the top clubs who want a smaller but more competitive and evenly matched Superliga, and considering that the NordicBet Liga is pretty much as strong as the bottom half of the Superliga, they have agreed to the NordicBet Liga getting much more of the TV-money in the years to come and also 2 promotion spots (with no play-off's) from 2020-21, so that 2 out of 12 Superliga teams are going to suffer relegation in 2021, but not really suffer much of a financial loss going down.

11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Hobro could use any funds from a Sabbi transfer to strengthen the squad though..

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The question is, who are a team like Hobro able to attract during a short summer break as a genuine replacement for Sabbi with them being among the favorites for one of 3 relegations spots ? ... I think that they will be looking for replacements, but are not going to sell unless they already got a good replacement in place ..

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Olympico! (and oh the goal... He doesn't quit, that's for sure.)

And man, you really got wonder if an Atlantic (Hanseatic?) league isn't a better answer...

Maybe a hybrid version of what the SPL does now - 1/2 season of domestic play, top X # of teams go to an "Atlantic mini-league" and distribute income across the domestic league. I know it won't happen, but seems little such an uphill slog for some of these clubs with player salaries being what they are.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That was a baller's goal, the sort of goal that gets the attention of the scouts.

https://www.bt.dk/fodbold/transfervinduet-broendby-haever-sommer-ambitionerne

In addition, it also emerges that there is massive interest in Hobro's American star, Emmanuel Sabbi. It is especially Portuguese clubs that have put themselves hot on his trail, but there have allegedly also been inquiries from [Danish] Superliga clubs.

TxEx repped this.
  15. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I defer to your experience with regards to Danish football. I would think that if you sell a young player $1 million or $750,000.00 or some similar number that money could go a long way for a club like Hobro.

16. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    lol

superdave repped this.
  17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No matter what don't go to Portugal.

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, that is true .. they have not released their accounts or any actual figures from this 2018-19 season, but the 2017-18 accounts they released showed a Net revenue of just around $4.9 million and a $330k profit and with their wage budget only being the 18 largest despite playing in the Superliga, so in reality there were 4 clubs in the NordicBet Liga with a larger wage budget last season and I suspect that both Silkeborg that just won promotion and Viborg they beat in the play-off's are spending more.

But then Hobro had just turned 100% full-time professional back in 2017-18 , so before that they were kind of a mix of full-time and part-time professionals ...The word is that the Hobro wage budget was only around $2 million this season.

Tom Collingsworth, freisland and Winoman repped this.
  19. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #394 Ceres, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    I agree to some extend, though we also see foreign players moving from the Superliga to the top leagues, but there are some UK restrictions that makes it difficult for young players from the USA and some other countries, which then also is going to make their price tag lower in the rest of Europe, because in reality it's the English PL and PL clubs that dictate the price tag and value of top talent in all of Europe, like in the case of Amon at FCN, where there seem to be a €3 million offer from Belgium, while Tottenham seem to offer £10 million for his team-mate Andreas Skov Olsen :
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...s-skov-olsen-christian-eriksen-transfer-news/

So obviously, when a club feel the need to keep most of their top talents, they are going to sell the one that will bring in most $$ and so in the case of FCN, it's less likely to be their top foreign talent and 'diamond in the rough' from the USA if they are able to get vastly more for Andreas... on the other hand Amon moved to Denmark and FCN because it was his best option and I'm sure it was the same case with Sabbi.

20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This dynamic makes ranking players by their "price tag" very problematic. The valuation of a player is not an impartial mechanism of a market that operates objectively without restrictions.

I think a lot of people see the lower valuations for Americans and think it is only because they aren't as good as their counterparts from other countries but this economic situation dictates a lot of the player values. The UK not allowing US players to play in England without significant US playing time is very damaging to the US players outside of the top 5 in the US pool....would love to see that relaxed by our "ally" and founding country......I think this restriction is much more damaging to the US soccer landscape than people realize...they think US players are not in the EPL b/c they aren't good enough when that is just not true....

One thing I'm not sure on....isn't previous EU league experience kind of a "backdoor" into the EPL and other leagues that are more restrictive? Once a player has "proven it" in a league like Denmark or Germany, isn't it much easier to then go to the EPL etc?

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing Brondby is now in the mix

23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just don't go to Portugal.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium is a great league for a young attacker. I hope he ends up there.