Emmanuel Sabbi at Le Havre

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Sabbi actually plays.

Most Carleton discussion is about him not getting splinters on the bench.

2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just ill-informed.

Look at the prospects that get produced year after year in the Superliga. The league is a step above Sweden/Norway, and in the Belgium/Netherlands-tier of development leagues. Faaaaaar above Regionalliga Nord, the 4th-tier of German soccer.

A single U23 goal (I haven't checked the thread since his first Werder II game, perhaps he has multiple now) =/= a top goalscorer for a Danish first division team.

3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think Lennon would be played as a winger, and not as a fullback like for RSL? And man, that's not a ton of professional wingers for that team...

4. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I probably should have made the point differently.

Sabbi is playing extremely well in a league that’s only slightly below MLS in quality (some will say it’s on par or above), and he’s statistically the top offensive weapon in the league.

Carleton isn’t the best comparison, but if Sabbi was in MLS and was the most statistically potent attacker in MLS earlier in the season we’d be going nuts about him needing to go over to one of the big leagues; more so than where he’s playing now.

5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we would. But not because of league quality, but because MLS has a low ceiling of player development.

And the difference between Sabbi and Carleton is, Sabbi is already in Europe, which sets him up for significantly better development. What's more, he plays in Denmark, which is analogous to the Eredivisie and Belgium as one of the world's premier development leagues. And additionally, by virtue of being in Europe, he will be better-positioned to jump up the European ladder.

It's all about development. It's why most want Steffen to make it back to Europe. Why most want Adams to go to RB Leipzig, or even RB Salzburg. Why most wanted EPB to go back to Europe instead of another MLS team after SKC. It's how Miazga's climbed from NYRB to Nantes, and is seemingly on track at least to a top 4 league at some point, despite never playing for his EPL parent club.

Namdynamo and USSoccerNova repped this.
  6. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played twice in April '16

BostonRed repped this.
  7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh dang, I did not remember that. Don't think my point suffers tremendously for it. Chelsea didn't really buy him thinking he was close to the 1st team, and it's unlikely that he will ever be a regular, but he will likely have the opportunity to play with top clubs.

8. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just clarifying as a Chelsea fan. :D

9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually temp for August is 60 degrees. Not sure about you but I would be wearing a jacket like that with that temp. :D

Sup Bro repped this.
  10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    not at all its a garbage league. sure some talent comes out of it but the league is garbage.

the idea that scoring a few goals means a whole lot is a joke. A few months ago people had the guy as a bust lol. Now all of a sudden he is the future lol

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK lol.

ChuckMe92 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Of course we’re going to hype the hell out him because he scored a few goals in a mediocre league, this is BS!

13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    point taken...but that goal he just scored was siiiick.

cant recollect a similar goal scored by an american in MLS...maybe ever.....definitely not recently

jjmack repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Think Mathis.

Magikfute repped this.
  15. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

that was november of 17.....now here we are less then a year later...he is a must call up for the national team.

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i actually thought of mathis (huge fan back in the day) but 17 years ago is a minute.

jjmack repped this.
  17. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Players can't improve?

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was no "failure" in not capping (former Raleigh resident) Johnsen. He just wasn't that good/proven.

19. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes there was....if you paid attention to what happened to his career...he was connected with big clubs but red tape/BS got in the way....some people saw and understood that even when he was toiling in lower levels than currently......

would you cap him now?

if so, then there was a failure.

wrench and KicksNgiggles repped this.
  20. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam summed it up nicely. It was always the "eye test" before with BMJ. He has certain intangibles are striker pool doesn't posses. Not to mention the fact that going back a good while we haven't had a striker that scores consistently. He has always been an intriguing guy. I never saw what the harm would be to calling him into camp and looking at him in person. THEN seeing if he "wasn't that good".

adam tash repped this.
  21. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I remember watching him around the U-20 qualifying and World Cup and not being blown away. He didn't seem very technical and squandered a lot of opportunities. I believe that he hadn't been playing much though and that might have been behind the poor performance.

largegarlic repped this.
  22. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Sabbi suffered from an abortive 2016-2017 season with Las Palmas where he never seemed able to secure international clearance and never played an official match.
    I'll give Tab a pass and say this was the main reason he didn't feature much in the qualifying tourney and the World Cup (where he got 27 minutes) instead of saying that Tab has his favorites. Many people weren't impressed with his play when he did get in but I remember one game in qualifying where he was impactful and gave the defense fits.
    No real point here except to say I think he would have been on the radar a year or so earlier had Las Palmas panned out or had landed somewhere else.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez, I was looking at the attendance for some of these games. How do some of these leagues survive? I recognize that the gate isn’t the only revenue stream but it’s gotta be indicative of popularity, right?

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was also my impression of him but that was 18? months ago. I suppose we need to see him against defenders that are as fast as him and can defend.