Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He is also good enough off the dribble and can get his shot off quickly such that he can create chances for himself.

2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I like Leyva's game/potential, but everybody knows he doesnt have enough "first team minutes". Same goes for Bwana. Shipp was always over rated and has become a 27 yo MLS journey man. I dont consider Morris a midfielder and have seen enough of Roldan in his 10 caps this year to know he is in over his head.... EH might not be the solution but know Roldan isnt.

You have a lot of opinions about a player you have not noticed much in a couple of games.

I have followed the guy closely for 5 years and think he is the best we have currently with his skillset, which is one I think our team needs a player like him. I see him as a useful option off the bench in specific situations. I also dont see him as a mainstay in the national team unless he makes some big jumps in his game which becomes less likely as time passes.

Of course, we will see in time.

3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    IIRC He has a nice rocket of shot at times.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He can dribble/hold pretty well for sure. His shot is not bad but it's nothing to write home about. He's really never been a goal scorer particularly, in the times I've watched him. Had 3 I can recall off hand for Gers, but he was much more the guy who helped spring the break than the guy who you expected to finish the move.

5. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I'll note about Emo is that he seems liable to disappear once in a while. In the LAFC game I completely forgot he was on the field for about 30 minutes. I think it'll make it hard for him to become a lock on the team sheet if he does that considering his role isn't incredibly creative like an Ozil type.

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    His technique is very good and gets clean contact. His shit was bettter than what I expected. I'd put it at slightly above average, but what stood out to me was how little space and time he needed to get it off. The first 75 second of this video has a number of his shots. The ones where he turns and shoots or makes a quick move to get separation are an example of what I am talking about. His first goal for ramgers could have been called a left footed rocket, but was also only from 12 yards out. Also, I think he scored 4 goals for Gers.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    His issue is more about appearing frustrated when he doesnt get passes he should. This was often the case at Hibs and happened a few times last night. He very actively shows for the ball and makes attacking runs, but isnt getting the ball as often as he should. He is still trying to settle in at ATL, so hopefully his teammates will start seeing him as a better option. It looks like J Martinez is appreciating him, but that relationship is about EH getting him the ball. The issue for him is getting the ball from deeper players and Meram out wide.

EH played about 30 mins last night and was extremely active. If you werent looking for him, he might have gone unnoticed for stretches. He was generally clean on the ball and made decent passes. His defensive pressure was good and looked to in line with system. He also made many runs into the box when balls got wide. His biggest direct impact was drawing a PK when be the first guy to respond to a rebound in the box.

This game a couple of years ago really show the strengths @freisland spelled out before. His role shifted throughout the game and shows what he brings in any of the three central mid roles. His goal now is to convince his ATL teammates to rely on him like his Gers teammates did. If he can do that, he and ATL will succeed. If not, this
    Loan will look more like the Hibs one.

8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Emo vs LAG: Came on at 62’ up 2-0. Draws penalty that Josef converts. He was active defensively, playing much stronger and aggressive than in the past. Again, each time on the ball he looks to play forward and aggressive. Again, non stop off the ball movement. Had an unbelievable turn in midfield where takes the ball 1st time out of the air with sweet turn and drives away from traffic, heavy touch to break out and has to slide to poke ball to teammate who goes on break and leads to nice chance by pity.

ATL are stacked. Won’t be surprised if he comes off bench, but still enjoy watching him play.

And no....he never smiled once.

freisland repped this.
  9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The kid is all business!

He made one short pass that went past the intended target for a throw in. He looked furious ( not sure with himself or teammate) and applied as much defensive pressure on the subsequent play to make up for it.

He could come of the bench, but could see a number of changes that get him on the field. Meram doesnt look like the same player to me and not in sync with EH at all. I'd like to see Barco tried out there with EH and Pity centrally. I could also see EH deeper along side Larentowitz/Remedy/Nagbe depending on opponent.

wixson7 repped this.
  10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    And...for the record,I'm not pimping him for the NT. I just really enjoy watching play, so smart, great touch, etc. Love the off the ball work.

May never see the NT again but I'll always watch him.

bsky22 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I dont expect much for NT career at this point but as I have said before, I would take him over the American midfielders that have been part of the NT the last couple of years. I just want at least one player with his skillset... I'd love to be one with more athletic ability or a better version of him.

TarHeels17, adam tash and wixson7 repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That dude he replaced on ATL can ball - or did in the time I watched v. Gals. That is going to be hardest thing for EH if he keeps playing like that.

wixson7 repped this.
  13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Starts vs Orlando in US Open cup tonite.

freisland and bsky22 repped this.
  14. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Gets his first goal for Atlanta and puts United up 2-0 vs Orlando City.

freisland, wixson7 and bballshawn repped this.
  15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    EH vs Orlando: US Open Cup and gets his first goal.

Good: gets the goal in typical fashion, making run off the ball and makes secondary run into the box, ball played nicely to him and he slices it home. And,......he.......smiled!!! He was fit and busted his as for 90 min, in Orlando heat, has to be best shape of his life was all over the place. Him and Nagbe give them amazing possession on the ball, calm and moving it forward, great technique both of them.

Bad: couple misplayed balls but the idea was good, going over the top or trying perfect through ball. Doesn’t play well with Meram, and Pity probably just a tad too clever for Emo on a couple occasions. Not the fastest guy, got stripped from behind early on moving a bit too slow,

Overall, stoked for our boy. He belongs for sure and hard to not have him starting most games, work rate is outstanding!

MtnGardener, bsky22 and freisland repped this.
  16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Emo vs NYCFC: Came on at 78’ with 2-0 lead. Didn’t do too much but had a few nice possessions, and a sweet ankle breaker in his own half to go on a break...then plays nice forward ball to Josef who puts it to Pity in the box.

Not too much else.

And side note; pity flops so much that the refs don’t give him any benefit of the doubt....and kudos to the refs.

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emo looking good against Club America in the Campeones Cup. Scored the first. Games tied 1-1 at the half. It's on ESPN 2 now.

wixson7, adam tash, freisland and 3 others repped this.
  18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Emo rotating starting with Pity Martinez?

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. They both started in the Campeones Cup. Hyndman is a midfielder (played more on the wing yesterday) and Pity is a forward.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Barco started over the weekend and was on the bench for this one. Seems a bit early to understand where everybody stands.

21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really Emo related, but watching the game last night I was blown away at how hard it was to get the ball off of Nagbe. I wish he could've put it all together for the Nats.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This is why I've been interested. He really seems to have an exceptional lively elegance to his game. Whether it translates to a high-enough level to make him "special" is beyond my predictive powers. He needs a bit more something to make that happen - perhaps it will be game experience, maybe that won't be enough.

He reminds me of Benny, Lee, Kirovski (off the top of my head) when they were younger (although EH is more mobile/quick than JK for sure, and more technically gifted than Lee, but in that range). Seems to have a head for the game and style that is a bit unusual for US players. I wonder if he will impose himself more on a team so that he can be "the man" - or at least "one of the the men", or if he's really going to be best as a support player to a strong holding CM and clever attackers.

largegarlic and wixson7 repped this.
  23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he should play deep lying mid....but bradley plays there :rolleyes:

dumb usmnt coaches see that he has "athleticsim" and put him in advanced role....he is a monster in the middle third of the field.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  24. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Nagbe is playing the best soccer of his life. Perfect deeper lying position, outrageously good at possession and getting away from defender with the ball. He was amazing, and has been recently.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  25. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At one point he spun away from 3 players dribbled forward and then spun away from 2 mor players and then put someone in on goal. The CA players started standing off him instead of trying to get the ball.

So Emo really impressed me last night. I still can't figure out his style but he balled out. He seems a bit slow to play on the wing , but I'm becoming a fan.

freisland and wixson7 repped this.