Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow. He didn't - he blew. Abysmal anticipation on the ball.

2. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yea unsure if he’ll get another chance. Depends on the injury to Goslin. If he does get another chance and blows it again he’s done unless they have more DM injuries.

wixson7 repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    His positional awareness was particularly bad. He had no impact on any meaningful play.

But I guess that isn't surprising, given his recent lack of gametime.

wixson7 and Winoman repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Got a 35’ runout in the CM role, ended 3-3. He wasn’t out of his league by any means. Was calm on the ball for the most part but a few too many giveaways for my liking. Was more box to box type but didn’t create anything up front, nor did he do much defensively in the back.

No rust on his skill and touch, but did seem a tad slow in some decision making. Did still always look to push it forward but didn’t make the right decisions. Last main possession in tight spot in his own third, has to do better in moving the ball quicker, Got easily pushed off the ball and wanted a foul...but wasn’t even close. He can’t afford those turnovers.

Did well enough to stay in the 18, definitely didn’t call for automatic start next game. But kudos to the kid for getting his first PL time this season.

bsky22, UniversalAdvice and freisland repped this.
  5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    NT team talk. Has zero midfield defensive presence, but can hold and move the ball really well. Wouldnt mind seeing him in a #10 type of role in a few friendlies and Gold Cup shouldn’t be out of the question. Lame comparison but would remind me of how Julian Green was playing the 10 role last year. Doesn’t need to be playmaker with the cast around him.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ended 3-3. Emojifies was in no way out of place, but also did not stand out. Played safe, hustled, no huge mistakes, no highlight reel plays that I saw.

Think the negativity on his play is way overwrought, but likewise nothing to say "gotta play." Most a "he's a perfectly fine sub, but didn't really bring a spark" performance.

wixson7 repped this.
  7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't know; he had a couple of really lazy 15-20 yard passes that didn't have enough force behind them and were easily taken away, leading to counters the other way.

They didn't result in anything, but against a better team, they absolutely could have.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5333 Jazzy Altidore, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    "It seems to be that time of the year for Hyndman's annual meaningless minutes," I thought to myself early this morning.

9. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Only 310 more consecutive appearances to go and he'll break Friedel's record.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The definition of "being set up to fail": frozen out of the team forever, put in in an away game when they're losing the midfield battle, and in a position where you need to know the team well to be useful.

Today's showing is not even going to help him get a decent loan.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so the sky is still falling? roger that.

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not falling. Nothing is happening.

13. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to just come to the MLS already and dominate for some team

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've never seen anything in his game that suggests that he would dominate any league, much less MLS.

The Irish Rover and wixson7 repped this.
  15. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve seen enough of him to know he’d do very well in the MLS

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #5341 ArsenalMetro, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Gotta be real, if you call it the MLS, I assume that you have no idea what you're talking about regarding that league.

Anyway, Hyndman has played in worse leagues for worse teams than he'd face in MLS and has never stood out for them. Saying he would dominate MLS is based on nothing other than trolling or Euro-tinted arrogance.

17. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idk why Hyndman seems to get trashed on. He would certainly be as good as Lleget. That’s good enough to start in MLS.

MLS has hosted some of the worst football I’ve seen in 2019. And I watch a lot of leagues. To be fair, they have some good teams in there too, but if we are talking bottom of the barrel then our domestic league is right down there for what actually is televised.

18. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been better than Lleget already. I’ve seen the guy play a ton of times in our youth setups with plenty of other mls guys and he was easily the best player on the pitch. It’s going to happen at some point and then we will revisit. And yes I call It THE MLS, guess that means I’ve never watched a game or know anything about it. You got me...not you, the other guy lol

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Time will tell, but while I don't think Hyndman is up to EPL regular quality as a B2B or AM (two incredibly difficult position in the EPL) I do think he's more talented than some give him credit. And he is just coming into his prime.

Unfortunately I don't think B'mouth was a good move for him. He'd likely have had more chances and more trial by fire at Fulham, but my prediction is he's going to turn out to be a more productive player than this season suggests. Dunno where, but I think he'll find a spot at a decent level - probably more SPL/MLS/Ered than EPL/Bund, however.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait till he takes on The NBA....

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    He can still have a nice career. He needs to make a wise decision regarding his next club.

Going to an EPL club as an unproven young player on a free is madness. You’re going to be competing against players bought for 10-25m sooner or later. That kind of money buys incredible talent. It’s Preposterously difficult to establish yourself in the team under those circumstances.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  23. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Going to a club that is offering you a contract and can pay you maybe a few pounds more because they got you on a free is not madness, in most of the world that is called a good piece of business. The fallacy in this line of thinking is presuming he is better than the evidence supports. I rate the guy and think he is a fine player for an American, but that does not make him a top four league quality starter/player.

I don't know that this decision wasn't wise. I firmly believe that in the vast majority of cases if you are good enough you will play, simple as that. He made some pretty nice money these last few years, since minimum EPL wage is significantly more than say a regular paycheck. Us internet keyboard jockeys arrogantly assume we are better evaluators of talent than the folks who see him everyday, and whose jobs depend on getting results!

striker and Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    People in THE league call it THE MLS all the time. I assume the focus on the use of articles and sentence structure is to avoid talking about how crap the league is after their over paid show ponies.

He had a very successful loan to Rangers two seasons ago where he was voted top young player. You should ask MLS regular and usmnt hopefully
    Matt Polster how difficult it is to just get on the field for Rangers.

The guys views were based on watching him play which is a challenging thought experiment for MLS fans. He could have simply stated that he has achieved more than other players that have returned to MLS and been quite successful.

freisland and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    MLS fans crap on any player that doesn't succeed in leagues abroad, EH would easily walk into MLS and dominate. It is just plain ignorance.