Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O 1 year. Easy bet. Doesn't he have a year left on his Bournemouth contract?

2. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yep. Contract through 19/20 season. I would be surprised if he came back then.

3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    sorry for the delay, I watched his u21 game the other day vs Liverpool (Premier League Cup). He started and played the 1st half only. They lost 2-0 but Bournemouth had already qualified onto the next round so some U18's were called up and my guess that is how Emo got his chance to play.

GOOD: he played holding midfield role, sat back and just pinged the ball around the field. He was by far the best technical player on the field, he's got such a great touch, played calm and smart. You could tell he was one of the only 1st team type of players on the field. He looks stocky, definitely gained weight the past few years. Unlike SPL, even the U21s in EPL ping the ball on the ground and play a style of game that definitely fits him. He had a ton of touches and tons of time on the ball. Picked out his passes and as always, moves the ball quickly and moves off the ball extremely well. Always checking to and always passing and moving. Offensively he really didn't create anything of note, couple nice plays close in the final third but nothing really came of it.

BAD: hard to imagine a CM (defensive in this game) provide less of a bite. I truly think this is by far his #1 issue. He was the #6 and I swear he didn't win one ball, didn't go into any tackle, and barely provided much pressure at all. He does the shadowing (staying a few yards off and making his man pass the ball off). I get that is ok and sometimes ideal, but he does it 100% of the time. Never once got into a tackle or challenged for a 50/50. Just not his style and it was on full display in this game. He could of tore up the younger Liverpool players (all smaller than him) but it's just not what he does. Couple forced passes but totally fine as he was trying to create. Did have one really bad possession, got the ball in final 3rd with space on the right...casually cuts inside with the ball and was in between ideas.. trips up and falls over the ball.

Overall: as a fan boy, it was so great to watch him play again. Graceful and smooth is how I'd describe him. just 1 tier below where he needs to be in my opinion.

edcrocker, ChuckMe92 and bsky22 repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    not with the 1st team today. no surprise.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The basic problem with Emo is that he doesn't like getting dirty. He finishes games with the cleanest of all uniforms.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    It feels like he just really needs to find a level where his technical abilities are superior enough relative to the baseline that no one cares if he has no bite. Unfortunately that level probably doesn't pay anywhere close to EPL money. Unless as stated upthread some MLS team wants to splash some TAM/GAM/flim flam on him.

If he's really not in Bournemouth's plans, you'd think they'd start seeing what they could get for him this summer with just one more year on his contract.

keller4president, wixson7 and russ repped this.
  7. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously he's not in Bournemouth's plans. He's made some good money the last few years. But it's time to leave and resurrect his career.

8. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    As it turns out, having the most "English" sounding name corresponds to having a playing style least suited to the "English" game.

Hyndman would, IMO, been much better established in a professional league had he tested the waters elsewhere. Elsewhere being anywhere outside the big 4-5 European leagues.

9. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    For the fun of it, imagine a Hyndman in the J (Japan) League? He'd be a star AND a teen idol.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #5285 Suyuntuy, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    The Hyndmans are Scottish Templars who escaped to Portugal. Emo could wear the croix pattée rouge in the middle of his chest if he wanted to.

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No competent MLS GM would pay Emo $750k. He'd be better off looking for an SPL, Championship or League One side.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    To me Hyndman is Feilhaber 2.0. But he made the mistake of going from Fulham to B'mouth. When settled with the right club, he'll be a useful player, but top 14/15 EPL is obviously too high a bar for him at the moment.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    wixson7 repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    For some reason B'mouth had decided to basically live-tweet their Dubai training. See more of Emojifies with the ball in a few 20 second clips than you've seen all year.

I think he's the green boots scoring at the end here.

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yes, that is EH22!!!!

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collecting checks to not play in the EPL. A nice life.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd bet he'd rather be fighting relegation with Fulham, but if he had crystal balls...

Well, really, it writes itself.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming he's superior to whatever options they have (I have no idea). He didn't make much of an impact on what I assume is a worse team in the SPL.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I have no idea either, but Hyndman has managed to feature on every team he's played for except B'mouth since he got a chance under the teams 50th or so coach back Fulham was in the CL. The "alternate universe" scenario has him playing a promotion season in the Champs league - a place he already featured for Fulham as a 19 yo? or something and played well enough to catch B'mouth's eye. With Fulham 3rd from bottom of EPL in goals, 2nd from bottom on points and rock bottom with goals against, getting more attack/possession from the team (which he brings) might not be "job one" but I think it's pretty hard to argue that he was likely to get less minutes on this or last season F'ham team. My guess is he would have a featured a decent amount.

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    freisland, BostonRed and bsky22 repped this.
  21. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It was a developmental squad. They aren't in a formal league, so I guess this is what they're doing instead. Only 5 of the players used are signed to the MLS roster, and just two of those have made a pro appearance.

VBCity72 repped this.
  23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002