Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    well in the next few months he may have to decide between bigger check next season and not get real minutes and making less and playing...the decision deciding what his future career may hold.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt Emo walks into an MLS side as a starter. I see him as a MLS squad player until he can prove himself.

EricSunRa repped this.
  3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    He didn’t have a good game... he misplayed some passes, got stripped of the ball, and beaten defensively. He also didn’t look overwhelmed by the situation and looked like he belonged. The game was played at a hectic pace and Celtic ran Rangers off the field. I didn’t see much evidence of the players size and physicality that provided him a problem, but him not seeing enough of the ball, being pressured without having options, and from a physical standpoint being quick/fast enough.

I didn’t view the game as a good sign or bad sign. The frustrating issue is not playing this season. If he did, he would have had much more support in the midfield than he had against Celtic.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I get that the money as a benchwarmer in the PL is really good, but has he considered Portugal or France as an option?

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think we might all need an EMO refresher. Far as I remember:
    He has 2 1/2 years left on contract.
    There were apparently some loan possibilities this winter (Sunderland was mentioned, as was Gers again fwiw.)
    Howe did not seem overly anxious to loan him though also not against it.

So... it wouldn't matter if Emo wants to go to Seattle or Singapore, if Bournemouth don't want to sell him or loan him, he's not really in a place to force a move. "I won't suit up until you sell me!"

My guess is a kid like Hyndman would go about any place he felt he'd get good PT and challenged, but if the team isn't selling what he wants is not very important.

6. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I'd be shocked if Bournemouth wouldn't release him if he asked for it.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You mean cancel his contract?

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    #4208 kruck, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Yes

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe, but there's not been any sign of that from management publically at least.

But absent them cancelling his contract he's got to wait for summer and see what the options are.

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Your post said," So... it wouldn't matter if Emo wants to go to Seattle or Singapore, if Bournemouth don't want to sell him or loan him, he's not really in a place to force a move. "I won't suit up until you sell me!"

My guess is a kid like Hyndman would go about any place he felt he'd get good PT and challenged, but if the team isn't selling what he wants is not very important."

In response all I'm saying is I would think, given the totality of the circumstances, Bournemouth would let him go if he asked them to.

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zero american field players started for NYCFC today in their MLS game....

"restricted international slots" mean nothing anymore in MLS.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, I understand. I just haven't seen any sign they'd let him go free. Not a huge Bournemouth follower, but what I did see from Howe around winter break was "Emo did good in the cups games." "We're looking for the right situation" "he's a good player..." Talk of S'land loan. Noise about going back to Gers etc.

Which is not to say they wouldn't also let him go. He's just under 2 years (?) into a 4 year contract, (I think) just turned 22. I don't know how often clubs let young players walk out of those kind of agreements, but I'm not sure it's as easy as you suggest.

This summer would be the summer to sell him if they don't think they'll have any use. But by not finding him a useful loan, dunno what kind of offers they'll get.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I went back to check and Bournemouth/Howe are all over the press last summer with quotes of "we don't sell our young stars" and "we didn't buy Hyndman just to sell him," Howe was still talking him up at the winter window.

I'm not as confident as you that Bournemouth would let him walk away for free a few months later. If he gets any kind of play in 18/19, even if a loan to a lower league, even with only a year left on his contract they will be able to get something for him in summer 19.

I'm not on the Bournemouth board or in the lockerroom, but I really see no indications they would be willing to simply cancel his contract and let him go seize his future without any financial renumeration.

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say what you will about Vieira, but he ain't no dummy.

15. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Half of their squad is Americans, albeit the crapper half. Get back to me when an MLS side has a squad like Chelsea's.

16. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hard pass.

Dirt McGirt and adam tash repped this.
  17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    idc how smart he is (holla at me when he doesnt get blown out in the playoffs, though) ....i care about how horrible he is at developing american players - shelton, mcnamara, lewis, poku, diskerud, mullins etc....he's basically taken every promising american in hs care and run their careers into the ground.

18. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McNamara, Shelton never promising.

Mullins is horrible in a 433.

Kind of agree about the other three. But hard to argue when you see their replacements.

Gacm32 repped this.
  19. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think it’s fair to blame Diskerud’s decline on Viera.

20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4220 adam tash, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    well he's killin it in sweden atm....

the point is viera's O for .....all-time .....when it comes to playing/making room for americans on his team....makes it seem like he has an agenda.....

the league champs - tfc- have a bunch of americans that play for them...so do rbny....the 2 best ccl teams from mls...it's not like playing americans is some kind of competitive disadvantage.....

what's the point of having "international roster slots" if a team like NYCFC can just start 10 foreigners??

i dont think the foreigners playing over a lot of american players are better than the alternatives....

and is it related back to hyndman....he better be careful if he decides to come back to mls that he doesnt end up on an american-hating team like nycfc, mtl, colorado etc...

cuz he will end up getting no playing time and then people will just say he sucks even though he likely never wouldve been part of that team's plans from the beginning.....

Winoman repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shelton is has started 5 of 6 games for the first place team in the western conference. and HIGHEST SCORING TEAM IN MLS...that hasnt been able to score for years before shelton came there......

9 assists and 5 goals for mcnamara in 2016 is way better than a lot of DPs in MLS and a lot of players who get USMNT chances....despite good production, viera banished mcnamara to the bench.....similar production to jack harrison who earned a huge transfer to england....smh

hardly call either one of them "never promising"

22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Awesome NYCFC thread...

Gorky and Winoman repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how so?

24. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    MLS can’t skirt US employment law, of course, but the International roster spots seem like a joke when you look at Portland and NYCFC.

The large majority of leagues across the world have foreign player work restrictions. MLS on the other hand presents barriers to entry for Americans in their own domestic league. Genius.

russ, adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay folks, let's get back on track here.

USSoccerNova, wixson7 and y-lee-coyote repped this.