Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    MLS window opens soon. It has never been my first choice but might be a decent move if he were to get minutes in a good situation and returns to preseason camp in game shape.

Btw... AFCB just barely in top half of table after today’s win. Maybe Howe isn’t blowing smoke and little breathing room might get EH a shot at minutes.

2. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rank them:

A. Jozy to Sunderland
    B. Agudelo to Stoke
    C. Emo to AFCB

Where does Bradley to Villa fit? Or how about Benny to Derby?

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Adu to Benfica. IMO, a crucial moment in American Soccer History.

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Brek Shea to Stoke, ouch.

At least Jozy played alot. This one here (emo) is bad....real bad....

ttrevett repped this.
  5. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch to Milan?
    Gibbs to Charlton?

6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omar Gonzalez's loan to Nurnberg is the gold standard of craptastic

7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    To be fair, I differentiate between players crap stints at clubs based on 1) injury or 2) just never given a real chance/run of games.

Two different categories I guess. Obviously, most of the time you have some mixing and matching of both.. like with Emo but for me Emo falls more into category 2 which is more disappointing.

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That lasted like 30 minutes of first training session when injured by USMNT team mate. Good times!

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    @bshredder by chance...any insight on what's going on here? this guys been quite the mystery.. You have scoop on everyone..let's see your hidden Emo files. :)

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't it Chandler who did him in?

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #4086 freisland, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Not to be too depressing or heavy but US citizen and Ajax player Eddy Hamel was transfered from Ajax to Westerbork in 1942 to Birkenau and then Auschwitz in 1943 where he was murdered.

Every other transfer is a full-paid luxury vacation when compared to that.

12. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    Maybe we should give Emo the benefit of the doubt and assume he knows exactly what’s best for him. If he didn’t think he had a chance, he’d turn in a transfer request and be gone.

bsky22 repped this.
  13. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Dude. this is terrible. Please delete.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It is supposed to be terrible. It was a terrible event - and a very successful career cut tragically short (in the midst of myriad tragedies.)

Perhaps not the right forum, but I'll live with that. I was just thinking about American players and Eddy came to mind. My intention was certainly not to offend, and maybe it's too heavy for this kind of discussion, but it is a true story.

15. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    #4090 kruck, Feb 1, 2018
    Or double down and dig your heels in when you're totally wrong.

Your post is what was terrible.

The discussion was about soccer/football club transfers that didn't work out.

You took the word "transfer" which was only being applied to football/soccer transfers and brought in the Holocaust. Something you should think long and hard about doing before you bring it up in any circumstance. Is bringing up the holocaust appropriate?

Like, it wtf dude, we are talking about bad football transfers between clubs. It's so wildly inappropriate to compare those situations to a person who was murdered in the Holocaust. Eddy Hamel wasn't "transferred" from Ajax to another club. Eddy Hamel has been retired for like 13 years. He was rounded up, like many other Jews in occupied Holland, confined and eventually transported to a death camp. That has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation that was going on.

You know what was a bad YA transfer? Emerson Hyndman from Fulham FC to AFC Bournemouth on a free.

Freisland: You guys know what another bad transfer was? Eddy Hamel from [no club/retired] to a Nazi death camp amirite?

You don't see the problem here? That's a really really bad look.

superdave repped this.
  16. handballer

handballer Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds, SF City
    United States
    Mar 21, 2017
    It is terrible, and clearly has nothing to do with Emo's situation.

That being said, I have never heard of Hamel, and his is a name and story everyone should know. Glad I encountered it here today.

17. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    Geez. I found it interesting even if it wasn’t applicable. You seem to assume we’re all having a laugh at the guy.

18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I don't think anyone is having a laugh.

It's just totally inappropriate to compare his experience in the holocaust to a players unsuccessful transfer between football clubs.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    Ok, I think we get it.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  20. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you decide what is and isn't appropriate for the forum?

He didn't compare expriences, he contrasted them and highlighting the differences in gravity was exactly the point.

His post was interesting, insightful and sad. Most importantly it was real and there was relevance.

I'm glad he shared that because I learned something new and historical tidbits interest me.

21. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're too sensitive sometimes. It's still a message board in the end and all variety of comments ensues. Start reading, if it's tripe to you, move on. If said poster keeps doing that to you and you can't take it anymore, there's 'ignore'. Derailing the thread is derailing the thread whether it's voicing your particular sensitivities or not.

I too, enjoyed this particular derailing, given the nature of Germany in the 40's and America now.

The Irish Rover and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  22. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    #4097 kruck, Feb 1, 2018
    I have an opinion about what is and isn't appropriate in life. If I see something that is wildly inappropriate I'll let someone know. If they double down. I'll report it and let the appropriate authority decide.

He actually did make a comparison.

The discussion was about the most unsuccessful player transfers in YA history... comparing player transfers between football clubs... then the poster asserted Eddy Hamels deportation to Auschwitz was a "transfer" and was appropriate to discuss in the same context as unsuccessful moves by players between clubs. Eddy Hamels being the worst "transfer" of all.

That is 100% a comparison. There is no other way to read it.

A totally disrespectful thing to do.

There is nothing wrong with the story. There is something wrong with calling it a "transfer" like he did and comparing it to player transfers between clubs.

Pretty sad you and others think that is ok. That's on you though.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hey Man, if you want an apology for any offense, I'm more than happy to give one. I meant no offense and I most sincerely apologize to anyone who may have been offended. I was not trying to be glib (though given my posting history I can understand anyone who might have thought that.) I simply made a mental connection while thinking about many YA's I've encountered over the years and having had a few holocaust rememberance day discussions with my kids recently (whose great-grandparents also went through Westerbork) it was on my mind.

I really did not want to derail this thead or turn this into any kind battle of appropriateness. Again, to anyone who felt that post was glib, out of line, or even in bad taste, that was not my intent and I apologize.

With all seriousness - freisland

Anderson11 and kruck repped this.
  24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    We're totally good and I don't think you're a bad dude at all or anything. You obviously recognize how terrible the holocaust was and you seem thoughtful about it. I just thought that one particular post was in poor taste.

freisland repped this.
  25. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rep any time anyone mentions Eddy Hamel,no matter how it tastes.
    Sad,sad story that should serve as a sobering reminder that loan deadlines passing are not the most tragic thing ever.

freisland and ChrisSSBB repped this.