Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I hear the Swedish third division is offering exciting opportunities these days.

KicksNgiggles, adam tash, russ and 3 others repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For this season, yeah.

A move to MLS would be good, I think, IF Bournemouth believe in his potential. He gets a whole season of play at a pretty good level, he’s available for USMNT friendlies that will rely on US-based players, and he can get a fresh start next winter.

If Bournemouth just want to get him some playing time/save on his wages, it’s a bad move IMO because of the mismatched seasons.
    It’s obvious. He believed in himself, and he believed in the paycheck he’s getting.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The poster I responded has clarified that he meant at Bournemouth. It’s odd you just think it is this season but want to loan him out through the first half of next season. Calling MLS a pretty good level is questionable especially we are going to accept the SPL is horrible. Level ISY really the key, but the fact the speed of play is much slower and wouldn’t be the best spot to gain experience that would translate to the EPL.

The full season loan to MLS also ignores that getting integrated into a team mid season is much harder than doing so from the start. The only advantage of a loan to MLS if it were to run until July, so he gets extra games and would be in game shape coming into preseason. I still don’t see any sign that Bournemouth doesn’t rate him and want what is best for him, whether it means getting him on the field or being able sell him to recoup the little amount they have spent on his salary.

4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    MLS probably wouldn't accept a season loan. What's in it for them?

5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I think this gets overlooked a lot. If you're a pro player, and you're offered a move to a club like Bournemouth, and you think, "I'd better not do that. There's no way I can break into the starting 11 at Bournemouth," then I'd suggest that you don't have the attitude to succeed as a pro player. You've got to gamble on yourself.

y-lee-coyote and Winoman repped this.
  6. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    This is nonsense. Just because you can go to a club doesn't mean you should go to a club. Hyndman had some momentum heading into free agency having done well to earn minutes at FFC at 18/19 and showing well in the U-20 WC. He then squandered that momentum by biting off more than he could chew joining an EPL squad. It's just incredibly difficult for a young homegrown player in England (especially the EPL) to breakthrough, earn first team minutes and establish yourself in the XI compared to other countries around Europe. This is well documented and has been a major concern for the English FA for awhile. The amount of money associated with the EPL and the quality it brings in makes it very very difficult.

This was a major concern for me when he signed, then it turned out pretty much exactly as expected. The manager says nice things but the player doesn't play and his career and upward trajectory stalls completely.

People can point to injuries all they want, but he has been healthy plenty and still not given real opportunities.

On the flip side...

Hirving Lozano is an example. Was PSV the biggest club chasing him? According to reports no. http://the18.com/soccer-news/hirving-lozano-psv-eindhoven-transfer-pachuca

He chose PSV because it was the smart thing to do regarding actually getting on the field and developing. Now his career is taking off rapidly.

The club decisions you make in your career are extremely important and choosing an EPL club was a losing proposition from the beginning IMO.

It's actually more of a gamble on yourself to go to a more humble league initially and believe you can perform to draw significant interest later than to take the EPL offer right away like Emerson did.

Poor decision. Sad story.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Far far too early to give up on him. The Rangers interest is real. And no matter how poor they still are, Rangers is a historical club with a lot of pull. Not everyone has forgotten how Emo looked with them.

This is a case where I suggest some patience.

sXeWesley and freisland repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There a decent amount of love for him on Gers twitter, but the Rangers midfield is a more complicated place at the moment. He will have a bit more competition.

Still don't know who thought a Portuguese coach was a good idea. They'll probably end up with Moyes or Hughes... Maybe they can pry the little General back from Belgium...

9. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting loaned to Sunderland according to the twitterverse.

Dough Boy, autobus39 and wixson7 repped this.
  10. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Please no

11. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fingers crossed it's some kind of cruel joke. We will find out soon apparently.

12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Just want him playing.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    [​IMG]

14. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunderland are in a relegation fight - I'd be surprised if they'd be willing to give a loan kid a ton of minutes. But if they promise he'll play, I say good luck to all involved.

15. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I'd be ok with Sunderland for a couple reasons.

1) Playing time at a decent level.

2) Chris Coleman is the manager. I would imagine he still has contacts from his days at Fulham that he used to get a better sense of what Emo brings to the table.

3) Chris Coleman is the manager. His experience with Dempsey and probably being Welsh means that Emo being an American is not a negative and maybe even a positive.

4) HE NEEDS TO PLAY

vreleven repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunderland is not a good spot for him on paper. Ideally his team is on the front foot. He can't operate in a lot of space. Fits on top teams in a league. Should go to a worse league/country than he's in and one that stylistically plays less up and down.

Also, he's not overly proven even at that level, so playing time could well be limited in a relegation battle. His management makes a lot of bad choices ala Jozy's did.

17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    But the good news is they are also bringing back Di Canio...

19. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Checked out what the word was on Sunderland forums and the response there is the complete opposite from here. They are thrilled. Our relationship with Sunderland sort of feels like back in college when there was that one.. less than attractive... chick who wouldn't leave you alone. I mean, you could do better but she is always there to disappoint you.

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    The "Fulham of the North" they are calling Sunderland now.

Thread title anyone?

21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    #4046 Eighteen Alpha, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    I loved this post from a Bournemouth supporter who came into the Sunderland forum to explain why Emo hasn't broken through there:

A victim of circumstances I think. He arrived 18 months ago very highly touted but at the same time as we signed Lewis Cook and let a couple of CMs go. So we then had 5 CMs in the squad with two of them young new arrivals but Surman and Arter very much first choice and hard to shift with Gosling doing ok when given chances. Then, a bit out of the blue, Wilshere arrived on loan which I think was an opportunistic signing rather than a planned one so we end up with a surfeit of CMs. After a couple of fully changed XI cup disasters (I know, what can you do as a fan though? Still a shit policy though) rather than sit around in the U23 squad he went to Rangers where, by all accounts, he did well. His problem is he came back to a squad where Lewis Cook had just captained the England U20s to the World Cup and looked very good in a run of games when Wilshere got injured at the end of last season. So he's firmly 5th choice for 2 spots in the team despite reportedly being a good player and, after another disgraceful cup performance (from the team, not him), little prospect of playing much this season.

We've seen so little of him it's hard to tell you too much apart from the Fulham fans absolutely raving about him when he signed and a seeming determination from Howe and Tindall to get him decent loans. The last player we rated highly enough to do that with was Ryan Fraser so I'm hoping he'll turn out to be as good, albeit in a different position. Looking to the future, I suspect Surman will either move on or play less and less since he'll be 32 this summer and given the demand that we cover more distance than our opponents I can't see him keeping it up too much longer. My guess is that they want him to play another half a season in the Championship and if he can perform highly there next season he'll be firmly ensconced in the squad.

A whole lot of peripheral information there! However, from your point of view I'd interpret that as you'd be getting a player that's rated highly who will be desperate to do well for you since he knows it's probably his ticket to the PL chance he wants next season. Oh, and we've never heard a negative peep about him since he arrived unlike Grabban who's left interesting tales wherever he has been...

superdave, PalmettoSpur, jond and 3 others repped this.
  22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I’ve thought many of those things, but great to hear the perspective from someone who follows the club lately.

I do believe a move won’t happen until the end of window, in case West Ham decide to pony up for Arter.

I’m not that excited about Sunderland, but I prefer to the other two rumors we’ve gotten. The one thing I noticed in looking stories about Sunderland is that they’ve played quite a few players 23 or younger in the last couple of games. They might be in a relegation battle ( a couple of wins can push a team pretty far up the table), but there were 5 younger players who played a key role in recent win against Hull City.

Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I was only responding to someone who was suggesting it.

That guy must have been thinking they a soccer league who needs talented players and have a preference for Americans, but you are right, MLS doesn’t think like that. Probably some weird perception thing?

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you thought their style of play in the Premiership was putrid, just wait until you start watching them in the Championship. It's merciful only the rare Sunderland game is available to watch.

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Yes. And add to his assessment two consecutive pre-season injuries.

KicksNgiggles repped this.