Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Unless there are character issies we can't see from outside the club, it goes against all conventional wisdom for a struggling team to not play a player who is impressing in training

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn’t get a shot last year, when they were solidly mid table, either. So I’m not sure this holds up.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Shame he didn't get a shot with the NT when he was looking good with Rangers. That was the right time to make him known all over.

The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  4. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because Enzo Zidane is Zidane's son doesn't mean he looks good in training for Madrid, but that's the logic you're using here. I think the argument of Emo not looking great in training against the highest level of competition he's ever faced makes a lot more sense.

striker and bigt8917 repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, I'm pretty comfortable posting that the concept that, in general, you are likely to get more "let's see what you can do" minutes on a team that is winning a game or two by a respectable margin than on a team that has 4 points from 8 games and is circling the drain holds up.

Now, whether Bournemouth thinks Emo has enough potential to help to even get him on the 18 and give him those minutes were they not already worried about the season slipping away, I have no idea. It does not seem like they think he can help or even is being prepped for that possibility or he'd be on the squad.

6. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    I was thinking this same thing. There are many sons of coaches in every pro league that have flopped as pros. Not saying that's the case here, but it isn't uncommon

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  7. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Exactamundo. Emo has only gotten scrap minutes in the cup this year, and doesn't make the bench for BPL games....so he's not even close to seeing PT. He should be knocking on the coaches door and asking for a transfer ASAP. He's still a young enough to where they'll be takers in other leagues, but he's fast becoming this talented guy that has minimal sample size of his ability to be effective against good competition, since he never freakin plays!

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3608 The Irish Rover, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    This is not some teenage academy prospect who's looking to break into the pro game; he's a 21 year old who had two dozen Championship games under his belt before turning 20. He's got a real risk of stagnating if he doesn't get competitive PT soon. If he's got a choice between going out on loan (Championship or Europe) or playing U-23 ball, I say Go Anywhere Young Man.

MK Dons' George Williams is a rather unusual British footballer in that he went to college before entering the pro game (he had been released by the Dons at 16). He started playing non-league football in his final year at uni and then got picked up by Barnsley.

This is his take on the U-23 league
    The experience you get in the Conference North prepares you a lot better for men’s football. It’s a great platform and it’s much more competitive than the under-23s league that they’ve got at the minute.
    “I’m not a massive fan of that league [the under-23s]. I spent a few games in it when I was at Barnsley and there’s no real competitive edge. There’s not enough men in it. When you’re playing in a non-league game against men that need to keep their places in the team to put food on the table, it really opens your eyes to how much you have to graft.”​

wsmaugham repped this.
  9. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why doesn't someone just write an email to Eddie Howe and get to the bottom if this already.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mascherano was dismissed by West Ham, Aguero barely got on the field

11. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I couldn't figure out why you guys kept bringing up performance in training when that's not what I was talking about.

It turns out I misintepreted @comoesa original post. I thought he was asking if Hyndman is a poor training player, not if he was performing poorly in training.

From my perspective a poor training player is a player who struggles with concentration or work ethic in training. Everything in Emo's career to date has demonstrated the exact opposite of that and yes, anecdotally I can say that in my experience, players who are the sons of career coaches, especially those who grew around their father's work, tend to excel in those areas on the training ground.

Of course that's a generalization and you guys are free to accept or reject that as you wish.

Obviously if Hyndman was outperforming his competition in training he would likely play. I was not trying to make a point counter to that or even comment on how Hyndman is performing in training.

12. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tevez . . . and he kept them in the league once they let him play

Suyuntuy and uniteo repped this.
  13. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Back to some breaking news... are you sitting down.?

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/fantasy-football-week-eight-update

“However, this week alone, Emerson Hyndman finished on the highest points out of the squad and moved up to fifth in the players’ league. David de Gea and Kieran Trippier both kept clean sheets for his side, whilst Abrahams and Silva were excellent choices once again.“

So...even though he sits in 5th on the teams fantasy league, he did have the most points last week. Let’s take the positives where we can.

largegarlic and JG repped this.
  14. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    And in actual real news..sort of. He wasn’t with the U21s today in their 4-2 win.....maybe getting ready for 1st team on Saturday.....??????

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, that's part of the "silver lining." With us not going to the World Cup, when a team like Bournemouth loses players to the prep games and such (for example, Harry Arter, who's currently playing the Hyndman CM position, will get called by Ireland for the playoff, so Gosling takes his place on the field & Emo takes Gosling's place on the bench), our guys will be there.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Or he's on a plane to Greece... lol!

17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had some serious Emo flashbacks...

There was a point when Emo was supposed to be the prospect for the US. Of course, that was after the dreary years of failure for US youth teams and before the influx in talent of the birth years after '96, but still, it makes me sad that at 21 he's still finding it hard to find first team minutes. Really hope he gets back on track soon.

18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It is all perfectly understandable, and I think he is a class player. I can't say for sure if the game is just too fast for him at the higher levels, the physicality is too much, or a combination of those. He looked pretty damned good with Gers at times.

If it is the above, not being able to stay healthy is a big part of that. To add mass that won't hurt his game is near impossible when injured.

19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Not with reserves mid week, I can only hope he suits up vs GCam tomorrow morning. If they are both on the field at the same time....I will lose my mind. Prob my 2 favorite Nats.

Winoman repped this.
  20. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nah we've been through this b4

21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I give up.

bigt8917 and Gacm32 repped this.
  22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emo's agent needs to get on the horn. Find him a place on the continent or a division (or 2 ) down. PT is most important for him right now, regardless of level.

Gacm32 and wixson7 repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    How bad has Stoke to be, to lose at home to these bumblers?

Next cycle, in the Championship, Emo may get his chance. Although right now I doubt he'd be any worse than what they have.

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Wasn't he going to be the next Pirlo or something? :p

Won't even be the next Michael Bradley at this rate.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States