Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Again, take everything this guy says with a grain of salt.

Eighteen Alpha, wixson7 and UnitedBorn repped this.
  2. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Hyndman has to make a move out, ideally a permanent one. The coaching staff have always given Hyndman rave reviews, but then never play him. The slower pace of Italy makes sense for Emo, on the surface. The fact that a team would have to pay a transfer fee for him, even a smallish one, will mean they'll actually have skin in the game compared to the relative freebie AFC got when they signed him as a free agent

The Irish Rover repped this.
  3. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Probably held out of the first team today to save him for the epic upcoming U21 clash vs Southend on Tuesday......

...or not.

DeCoverley repped this.
  4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hyndman must look bad in training. That's all I got.

wixson7 repped this.
  5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You forgot gosling who has the second most minutes in their Central midfield. Prior to today the numbers were Surman 540, Gosling 480, Arter 450, and Cook 300. This is only Cook’s second game in the EPL with his first on 9/30. Gosling and Arter haven’t played since before then. It looks like they are shaking thing so up slowly. Unfortunately, Cook was the first new guy to get a look. Hopefully, Hyndman gets a shot soon or at least they give him some time to generate interest for a loan or sale in the January window.

Feel free to be outraged. While I’m one of EH’s biggest fans, I can still realize that he may not be ready to make a big impact in this league. I’m assuming he is still improving through training and getting minutes with the u23s. I’ve been through this with a lot of players over the last 25+ years and realize I have to be patient or will drive myself crazy. Also, even if I wanted to be outraged, I don’t think I have any left in me right now.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    U21s. Bournemouth has U18 (aka "Academy) and U21 ("Youth") teams. If you get older than 21 and have not been promoted to the first team, you get dumped with the reserve squad.

Emo is less than six months away from the cut-off age.

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    No idea if you are right or wrong and don’t really care. Not sure the purpose of your post. Im guessing that you wanted to try to sound smart and take pleasure in an American youth not breaking through. If he doesn’t, we’ ll knew you predicted it, because you predict they’ll all fail. I’m just happy he is playing and will be game fit.

Bournemouth obviously not in the Premier League 2, which includes a lot of teams that still call themselves u21s. I’ve also seen Bournemouth supposedly playing in a u23 premiere league cup.

superdave repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Here:

https://www.afcb.co.uk/teams

Teams in the UK without a U23 squad play U23 competitions with their U21s & reserve players in the 22-23 range.

9. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't buy it. The sons of coaches tend to be to strong training players.

Emo is the grandson of a coach but same point in his case.

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it was a shot in the dark.

EricSunRa repped this.
  11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Another 1-0 loss for Bournemouth. Emo just needs to keep grinding it out and be ready if/when he gets a chance.

wixson7 repped this.
  12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or there could be no rhyme or reason to his not appearing....bournemouth could just be messing up here. its not like clubs are infallible.

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see it. His skillset has the continent written all over it.

I think too many look at failing in the Prem as some wide-ranging indictment on players. Bradley was dismissed by Aston Villa only to have his 2-3 best years as a footballer for Chievo and Roma in Italy ahead of him.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    there is very little evidence Emo does not impress in practice. Quotes from Gers and Bournemouth suggest the opposite. He's a young, unproven (at top level) talent and B'mouth needs to scratch out the ups or at least look professional going down. Hard to fit an kid into those plans unless they are really a for sure game changer.

The Irish Rover, ebbro and wixson7 repped this.
  15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not sure what some of your idiomatic phrases mean.

but i think you are saying that emo is likely impressing in practice but since bournemouth's epl future is in a precarious state they simply cannot play any player who is currently unproven....unless that player is a cant-miss star which emo is not (depsite being clearly promising).

if so, sounds lame to me. furthermore, if you have accurately described bournemouth's stance i.e. Emo, it strikes me as just much as a cause of why they are in a precarious state as a response to such a position.

16. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hellas stinks. He'd definitely get minutes.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm saying that there is nothing in Emo's history to suggest he's particularly unimpressive in practice. In fact, Warbucks and others have specifically mentioned him looking good quickly when he went to gers on loan etc.

Here's just one article I recall talking about how coachable he is etc. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-new-boy-emerson-hyndman-9586284

But, I think you're wrong about the situation at Bournemouth. Having missed summer training due to injury, and being umproven at the Prem level, it is generally tricky/roisky for coaches to start going to an unproven player too early. At some point the situation becomes a no lose, if B'mouth keeps dropping points, but I think if you look at most teams fighting a relegation battle they don't bring in umproven players, especially who were injured at the start of season, this early in the campaign.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beyond silly. If he looked good in training, he would play.

striker and bigt8917 repped this.
  19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not the first player to miss a preseason. And he's been there for two years. They know his qualities. They don't think he can help.

adam tash repped this.
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    It doesn’t help any that they just recently started trying to integrate the English u20 captain. Lewis Cook is a solid player and would love to see EH in a midfield with him at some point in the future. I think they both need to improve for that to happen, but that the two would complement each other well. I hate doing it, but will continue rooting for losses and maybe even a non-serious injury to Goslin causing him to miss 4-6 weeks.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    For sure. But the question was whether the team being already in the danger-zone make it more or less likely they would take a chance on Emo. My point was this early in the season most managers play it safe and won't take a flier on an as-of-yet EPL unproven kid until a bit deeper in the schedule. If they are still bottom or a point off bottom as we head into Xmas, it's more likely the line-up gets a shake-up (and new players in Jan.)

22. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's your silly, baseless opinion.

At least mine is based on personal experience and observation.

23. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    SO are you saying you have seen him train and he looks way better than the guy(s) in front of him. It kind of reads like that.

It is often as simple as the player does not look ready. I personally think he probably looks technical enough, just not big or strong enough. You can believe if they thought he could help, he would at least get a runout here and there.

wsmaugham and matabala repped this.
  24. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think it reads like that if you read it thoroughly.

I made a simple generalized comment about the sons of career coaches that's all.

At the root of this is a silly assertion. Hyndman has been in the youth spot light for nearly a decade. There are definitely people who post here who have seen him train, I have not.

Based on years of external indicators, very safe to presume he's not a bad training player.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your generalization that because he is a coaches grandson, he’s probably actually performing well in training has nothing to do with actual facts of the player. It is a gross generalization. Where my conclusion that he’s likely not training all that well is well supported by the fact that he almost never, ever plays in games.