Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Really good article in the local fish wrap, though not alot of new details.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sp...rson_Hyndman_learning_from_global_adventures/

Silly footnote:
    "Hyndman has already made a little piece of history during his time with Cherries this season.

During the Carabao Cup extra-time victory over Brighton on Tuesday, he became the first man from the club to be used as a fourth substitute in cup competitions."

2. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure he's really proud of that one.

3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the type of thing you tell your grandchildren about.

4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Hulk is getting angry...

Not in the 18 today vs Everton.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe he's holding out for that Man United deal after all.

6. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Gotta look for a move away. He's not even getting on the bench...he's a long ways away from PT with AFC.

7. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bournemouth is going to have to switch some things up soon if they don't start picking up points

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should have stayed with FC Dallas. maybe he can go back for a couple of years and get lots of playing time and then return. Seems every decision he makes there turns out poorly.

9. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. The correct option was staying with Fulham. He might even have been the difference in getting them promoted to the EPL. But then, hindsight is easy.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm gonna suggest that this season will still turn out ok for Emo...

Just a hunch.

sXeWesley, Bajoro, wixson7 and 5 others repped this.
  11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with both of you. He has an EU passport. Correct decision would have been going to the continent, France, Germany, Holland, more technical leagues which prioritize players his age.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually agree with this. I was sort off tossing that out there to show how easy it is to knee jerk about how bad MLS is for young talent. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out using Hyndman, Acosta and now McKennie. Each with a different path from a similar starting spot.

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Not sure I'd call their starting points similar... for being similar ages, I'd have put Hyndman quite a bit ahead of Acosta. I'd be much more disappointed if Hyndman didn't become a national team player for us.

Off topic, but where was Acosta the other night. He wasn't listed as injured.

14. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Not making the 18 worried me a bit, but only so much as it appears to indicate he is some ways from getting minutes.

I don't think EMO picked the wrong team, as it is him getting injured at the worst possible times.

I still remember the first time I saw him and he was the only US player that looked like he belonged on the field with Colombia. He did really good in the SPL, but that looks to be just a slight cut above Pub league.

He is there, he has a spot in the roster, and he needs to train hard enough that he gets a shot. Then he has to take his chance. That is life for a footballer.

In the interest of full disclosure I adhere to the philosophy that more often than not, players find their level. I don't usually buy into elaborate gymnastics for why a player does not get on the field for a particular club, usually it boils down to not being good enough to beat out the two guys in front of you.

Hopefully EMO is good enough to get into the rotation for the Cherries at some point.

15. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016

I generally agree with the idea of continental football, but given the size of Bournemouth and the manager...I think he made an alright decision. He probably should have stayed with Fulham, because a player his age can still shine there and get more opportunities in England. I don't buy this nonsense of him not being able to thrive in a physical league...

Yes, he's not a stocky guy, but have you seen him play? He's composed on the ball and has no problem making challenges. IMO he's more of a ball winning box to box midfielder than an attacking playmaker.

wixson7 repped this.
  16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    If not seeing consistent minutes off the bench by Boxing Day... then it is transfer window time. Until then, I'll be disappointed but paitient.

Hard not to say that staying at Fulham may not have been bad. 20/20 of course.

17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I think he's just using ManU to get Bayern Munich and Barcelona to up their bids.

wixson7 and Bajoro repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard he was held out with a groin strain / injury. I've read nothing official so have no idea how severe or if even true. Will find out more tomorrow by whether he plays or not.

bsky22 repped this.
  19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Wasn't with the U21s today for their 6-0 win vs Newport. I'll take that as a good sign...

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Ok, now im just pissed. Not in the 18 today, and didnt play with the reserves mid-week.

I'm crying on the inside and the outside.

Winoman and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  21. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    This happens with this kid. I wonder if he is just not a good practice player. Whenever the coaches start him they always seem astonished, ie re Fulham coach at the tail end of his tenure. I simply don't have another explanation.

wixson7 repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is deja vu. Last season, he suffered a pre-season injury, and then utterly failed to establish himself. This season, he suffered a pre-season injury, and is failing to establish himself. The only interesting question left--what club will he be loaned?

23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    He can't be worse than the options they are currently playing.

24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Saying complimentary things about a young player isn't the same as being astonished. This kind of exaggeration plays into why he doesn't meet the expectations people have for him round here.

Lewis Cook captained the England team that won the U20 World Cup and he's struggled to get minutes in this Bournmouth team as well.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That he didn't play with the reserves could mean he's injured. Slight nags are not given any press when they happen to reserve players.