Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. pauljf

pauljf Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It sums up Rangers, not Scottish football. Celtic have a 30 million pound rated striker and Stuart Armstrong, Sinclair, Brown etc

Winoman and freisland repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    hard to disagree (even with the harsh one). The 2 Old Firms have been tough for him, and there's a final one this Saturday (league fixture), will be interesting if he even gets the start and/or how he rebounds.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There are, of course, two ways to look at this. There is the half full which is "hey, we were flat broke tax cheats 3 years ago - and now we might come in 3rd in the SPL and maybe we can beg, borrow or steal our way to a squad that will get us to 2nd.

Or there is the fan's version which is "why didn't we thrash f'king Celtic!!!"

Gers know they have to be clever, thrifty and lucky, but if they can they stay in the top 2-3 for a couple of years and not blow the bank again, they might be able to attract a real squad over time.

Winoman repped this.
  4. pauljf

pauljf Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Rangers are up a certain creek. Most of their players are on long term contracts, the likes of Joe Garner for example, a striker who was signed for £1.8 million, a fee that was scoffed at almost universally since before he was even signed. To put that into even more context according to Graham Speirs, a Times Journalist, Rangers will have roughly 4 million to spend in the summer, to rebuild a whole squad. Celtic could easily splash out 10 million on one player.

The former manager Mark Warburton made a right arse of his signings this season, Hyndman and Clint Hill being the only saving graces. He also signed a SUBSTITUTE goalkeeper in January for a few hundred thousand, when that money could have been spent on a decent young Scottish player that could have actually made the first team.

Good riddance.

5. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'm struggling in determining what conclusion to draw from it. It is definitely not a positive, but how negative is it? Rangers pretty much got run over. How well would he have had to play to have a strong showing?

Hopefully, third time is the charm and he puts in a better performance this week.

Winoman, wixson7 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    yep, agreed, and not trying to draw too many conclusions. Maybe i can say that, after watching most every game of his the last 2 years, he has (like every player in the world) some strengths/weaknesses. This particular 'weakness' shows up in these types of matches, and i believe is fair to call out. And his 'strengths' show well in others, which are praised.

Even a Nigel de Jong and Jermaine Jones' secret love baby wouldn't have made an impact for Rangers in that game.

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You know as well as I do that Celtic isn't exactly an accurate reflection of the vast majority of Scottish football. There's a reason they're unbeaten in the league with a +65 goal difference.

Anyway, no more about this. Back to Hyndman.

Winoman, LouisianaViking07/09 and lmorin repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    right time for them to petition (again) to join the PL

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I
    [​IMG]

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would look at it two ways:
    1) Celtic thought enough of him to do a bit of man-marking. It's unlikely (one hopes) that at a better team that will be as effective as there might be another player to take over the possession game.
    2) EH was not good enough to play through/around the green and white blanket tossed over his game.

It's pretty clear that Celtic are still a cut above what is essentially a mid-table SPL team with a few decent loans. How Hyndman does with a better supporting cast (or him being able to be supporting cast to more talented stars) will be the next question.

11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Can't see the pic, but am intrigued with what you found...

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It was this

[​IMG]

13. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Public service announcement.

[​IMG]

Rangers v Celtic
    Saturday 4/29 live on Fox Sports 1
    7am eastern.

chrome_vapors repped this.
  14. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ill record it, not getting up to watch rangers get dominated lol.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Yea me too. And then I'll record Dortmund after, wake up at leisure and have a nice little Saturday planned.

I might watch some Orlando-Colorado after that but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time. And Portland-Dallas.

Maybe Bed Bath and Beyond.

[​IMG]

TheFalseNine and bballshawn repped this.
  16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well if Pulisic starts ill watch other than that yeah sleep.

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emo starts on the left in the midfield. I'm up, but not going to watch. Doubt this one will go well for him but maybe.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Watched the first half while working out.

He is kind of responsible for the second Celtic goal. He gets muscled off the ball quite a bit. He isn't the worst midfielder on the pitch, but I think he might get brought off because that is what this coach seems to do.

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Kind of responsible is being nice. My view of the first half is very mixed. Much better than last week though. Didn't get yanked at half. Will be back after the game.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Fu(k! Hooked in 57th.

21. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Very kindly taken off at the 57th minute so I don't need to pay attention to this bloodbath anymore.

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    #3297 bsky22, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    I'd say fairly taken off. The score isn't different, but this game has been much more evenly matched than last week. And yes, I couldn't give a rats a$$ at this point. Btw, Celtic just hit for their 4th.

Hopefully, Hyndman can get a chance at a higher level next year. I think he did much better this week and was given a chance in the second half but needed to make more of an impact in those first 10 mins. These challenges and the ramifications of not stepping up are what he needs at this point.

As negative as I might sound, I view this as a small success.

23. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Ok....where do I start. Just flat out another very disappointing Old Firm performance and rightfully yanked in the 57'. Outmuscled from the start, little to no impact on the game and again seems to expose concerning weaknesses in these types of matches. Wayward passes, forced and rush his touches, and barely ever put in the needed challenges that this type of game requires.

Played centrally with Windass, and shaded out to the right. Any improvements from last week were barely noticeable, but maybe I'll give him credit for a few attempts at a strong tackles, but not much success. He just shadows defensively, and that's ok I guess, but that's not going to fly in a tougher league especially if he isn't producing offensively in the game. He covered a lot of ground, tracked back well but still got turned and run around way too often.

Definitely at fault for the 2nd goal, loses the ball, outmuscled, plain and simple.

Rangers were embarrassed again.

deuteronomy repped this.
  24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In positive news, Bournemouth beat Sunderland to secure their top-flight status.

Emo will spend next (pre) season at an EPL club.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He looked like a 21 year old, 130 lbs. kid, surrounded by 27 year old, 170 lbs. men.

Which is pretty much what he was.

LouisianaViking07/09 and wixson7 repped this.