ELIMINATORIAS, R6: Brasil x Paraguai, 29/3/16[R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by omajac, Mar 28, 2016.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That goal only happened because the Paraguayan player didn't track Alves run. Huge mistake.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You'd think a team setup with 3 volantes could at least defend. Biggest problem is what we see a lot with the Selecao, the team not playing as a unit. At least in his first stint we played like so.

3. Derek32303

Derek32303 New Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I can't believe we almost won. Dunga still needs to be gone.

4. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I can't take another rounds of qualifiers with Dunga.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ecuador away and Colombia at home next.

6. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Anyone think Dunga is done despite the draw? He looked absolutely defeated on that sideline. He knows the end seems to be near imo.

He still has the Copa America to fail and get fired from if he does stay though.

7. Derek32303

Derek32303 New Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Why won't Brasil hire a foreign manager?

8. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Thankfully, the team survived in the end. Well done lads! The way the team played later on in the game, it would have been sad to see Dunga go in case of a loss despite all the valid arguments that can be made for his departure. Because the team fought towards the end. And, the goal by Gil was legitimate. So, actually, Brazil should have won. The defense needs fixing badly. Play 3 at the back plus Marcelo and Alves instead of 3 volantes since the volantes are not able to track back and cover the spaces at the back.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He is not done and I think he wouldn't have been even if we lost. Simply because there is nobody to replace him. Tite should be the guy but he won't leave them in the middle of the Libertadores. A failure in the Olympics could/should do it.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pride.

JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought it was a foul. But that goal was at 0 x 2. No guarantees we would have scored 2 more goals.

12. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not too knowledgable on the rules but can't Tite manage NT and Corinthians at the same time at least until Libertadores is done? The Russian NT manager is doing that.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's not normal. Doubt it will happen.

14. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    After 6 rounds of qualifiers this is my opinion on the team.

Hulk, Gil, FL, Fernandinho, David Luiz, Elias should stop receiving calls. Because either there performance hasn't merit continuous calls or they lack the quality.

I don't mind Allisson, Renato Augusto, RO as sub options for the time being.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fernandinho keeps getting called just because he plays at Man City.

After 6 rounds we are in 6th and out of a qualification spot. Our record is not terrible. A tie in Argentina is never a bad result and we had lost 3 straight in Paraguay I think. But other teams have done unexpectedly well. Ecuador beat Argentina away and Uruguay at home (6 pts vs our 2 pts) and are tied for 1st place. Uruguay is in 1st place and they just got Suarez back. A bit surprising. That Uruguay tie really hurt us in the short term. Their form is probably not sustainable, but those are important points. Definitely can't afford to be dropping points against the bottom 3.

XaviandXabi and Century's Best repped this.
  16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The palmeirense has spoken the truth.

Guys, I'm as frustrated as you are, and Dunga's maddening stubbornness and odd player choices are not going to help his political capital. But Celito made a very relevant point, which I'd thought of myself after I looked at the rankings last night. Other CONMEBOL teams are doing very well, and Ecuador is the surprise of this qualifying tournament.

A mere ONE point separates us from Chile and Colombia, and two points from 3rd place Argentina. There was improvement from the Uruguay game (more garra), and while it's regrettable Dunga was outcoached by Tabarez, we lost neither game. Paraguay is never an easy place to win at - we lost 2-1 towards 2002 and 2-0 towards 2010; it was towards 2006 (with Ronaldo) that we drew 0-0.

We did not lose in Argentina, and this is considering they were favorites given their recent cup results vs. ours. They didn't have Messi, but no matter - they wanted to beat us badly and they failed to do so, especially given we defeated them on their ground towards 2010.

Before Dani Alves equalized, I was already processing a CBF announcement of Dunga being fired, but if that happens, what's the likeliest aftermath? Corinthians is on the upsurge and they have done well in the Libertadores. Why would they release Tite, especially if they were to win it? And if Dunga is released and Tite is not chosen, then who will? Do we have any other manager who can realistically take over?

As well, for the NT, it's a centennial Copa América (the Olympics will be a younger squad). If it were a new coach, he'd have to use that tournament as a series of glorified scrimmages. I'm willing to see Brazil not win it, if it means Dunga actually makes progress in honing the team.

That is the problem. He is notoriously stubborn, and unless that changes, we're in for a lot of drama until 2018.

17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Chile just lost the most successful coach in their history and replaced him with someone with no international coaching experience. Colombia is still looking for their form since the World Cup and have oscillated. Argentina has been mediocre for their standards. And despite all of that, those teams are still ahead of us.

Improvement from the Uruguay game? I respectfully disagree. In the Uruguay game, we at least saw 45 minutes (first half) of decent football, which unfortunately was followed by 45 minutes of poor football. Last night, we witnessed 70 minutes of mediocre football before anything positive came about (Lucas Lima entering).

18. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    That's all true. However, let's not forget that the final rankings in WCQ are no indicator of World Cup performance. We barely made it to 2002, but we won the tournament. And as I said, it's only 2 points between us and the 4th & 5th place teams.

That's why I said "more garra." The team almost scored a 3rd goal at the end.

19. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Two words: Lucas Lima. When Lucas came, in the entire game changed and we dominated.
    One positive outcome: Usually we play good the first half and like shit the second half - this time around we played like shit the first half and good the second half.
    Looking at the table and sixth place until September is scary, but we have a long way to go. But remember, the South American Eliminatorios are by far the most difficult continent in the planet today. Truthfully, from the beginning I said I would be happy with a tie in Paraguay who knocked us out of the last two Copa America, and had the return of their idle, Roque Santa Cruz.
    And OMG almost a miracle virada the very last play.
    And I think everybody is forgetting - WE DIDN'T HAVE NEYMAR!! With Neymar it would have been a completely different scenario.
    No doubt Dunga will stay - for now. GOD how I wish we had Tite. What is wrong with CBF not offering half of Brasil for Tite?
    PRA FRENTE BRASIL !!!!!!!!!!!!

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At the end there Dunga had no volantes on the field :eek:

Dunga said after the game that he "found" a new tactical option. Yeah, it's called throw the kitchen sink when you're desperate.

MerlinRM repped this.
  21. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    I don't think Neymar would've made too big a difference. He's been disappointing as well for the Selecao recently.

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Maybe that explains the call up. He didn't have any volantes to sub in because he was using all of them in the starting lineup. He just had attacking mids, wingers and strikers on the bench. I guess he was well prepared for "kitchen sink" time....:rolleyes:

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, according to Dunga himself, "garra" or "vontade" has never been an issue. If that's the case, we didn't show more garra. Paraguay ended up playing us cowardly towards the end of the game as we did vs Uruguay in the second half.

24. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Disappointing?
    Neymar has over 50 goals in about 70 matches for the NT, and is approaching PELE as the all time highest scorer?

I also got the same impression when Jonas was put in - throw in the kitchen sink!

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Kitchen sink was taking the 2 real volantes (Luis Gustavo and Fernandinho) out and putting in Lucas Lima and Hulk. Jonas for RO was striker for striker.

MerlinRM repped this.